Jump to content

jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

Recommended Posts

Motherwell showing, yet again, that there are decent players in the English lower leagues and non-league.
Carroll the LB signed from Cambridge Utd and Hylton from Solihull Moors being the stand out so far in tonight's game.
Exactly. There are gems/rough diamonds out there. We just need to find them and convincing then that signing for us is a foot on the ladder for their progression.

Easy to see and say, but not so easy to execute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motherwell showing, yet again, that there are decent players in the English lower leagues and non-league.
Carroll the LB signed from Cambridge Utd and Hylton from Solihull Moors being the stand out so far in tonight's game.
What game tonight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What game tonight?
Sorry just seen it.

Seems both Well and Hibs have done most of their business early - Well newbies showing up better than Hibs so far.
Still not seen too much from Accies, County, Livi, and even the Fakes, so maybe we are not so far behind those around us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Sorry just seen it.

Seems both Well and Hibs have done most of their business early - Well newbies showing up better than Hibs so far.
Still not seen too much from Accies, County, Livi, and even the Fakes, so maybe we are not so far behind those around us.

I very much doubt it!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Sorry just seen it.

Seems both Well and Hibs have done most of their business early - Well newbies showing up better than Hibs so far.
Still not seen too much from Accies, County, Livi, and even the Fakes, so maybe we are not so far behind those around us.

Balanced and perceptive post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Motherwell showing, yet again, that there are decent players in the English lower leagues and non-league.

Carroll the LB signed from Cambridge Utd and Hylton from Solihull Moors being the stand out so far in tonight's game.

Good shout. Motherwell were excellent, and that boy Hylton looks an amazing find. I like the look of their young striker, too.

Fancy them for a solid 6th/7th this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several of these players have a lot of pace and the team have a lot of width.

We currently have no pace at all and no width.

Along with CH, CF, LB these two areas must be sorted before the league campaign starts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Good shout. Motherwell were excellent, and that boy Hylton looks an amazing find. I like the look of their young striker, too.

Fancy them for a solid 6th/7th this season.

Agree with that . Ross County have been scoring goals. Not trying to be despondent I think the bottom three mini league will be Hamilton, Livingston and ourselves. Hopeful we survive then build on that for the following season. Stability is what we need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agree with that . Ross County have been scoring goals. Not trying to be despondent I think the bottom three mini league will be Hamilton, Livingston and ourselves. Hopeful we survive then build on that for the following season. Stability is what we need. 
Could possibly drag the Fakes into the mini league too of they don't get a good start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, aldo_j said:

How do you know we didn’t have the upfront discussion with Longridge and Miller? We probably did, then decided they either weren’t right or offered a deal that wasn’t of interest to them.

So the Dutch lad came over for a day on an EasyJet flight. Again, big deal. It’s all part and parcel of trying to sign players. It’s hardly as if we flew him over on a private jet.

So the time key people spent on Thomas was worthwhile then while we continued to fail to add players to our sparse squad then?  :guinness

AND if either player who went to Spain wasn't right - might it have been better to find that out at Ralston and have the Spain camp weeks later when we actually had a squad to build together?  😨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

So the time key people spent on Thomas was worthwhile then while we continued to fail to add players to our sparse squad then?  :guinness

AND if either player who went to Spain wasn't right - might it have been better to find that out at Ralston and have the Spain camp weeks later when we actually had a squad to build together?  😨

Plans were in place though, made by Oran. I’ve no doubt we wouldn’t be in this situation if we hadn’t changed manager. Can’t exactly cancel the Spain camp just because we’ve changed manager. 

listen to Goody’s most recent interview. Not happy about the lack of pre-season games ahead of the cup. 

Edit: and we can’t exactly have the Spain camp a few weeks later because, eh, we have f**king cup fixtures to play! 

Edited by aldo_j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

listen to Goody’s most recent interview. Not happy about the lack of pre-season games ahead of the cup. 



One of the main reasons given for the launch of the new group stage format was that clubs would be able to replace friendlies with competitive fixtures during the summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Plans were in place though, made by Oran. I’ve no doubt we wouldn’t be in this situation if we hadn’t changed manager. Can’t exactly cancel the Spain camp just because we’ve changed manager. 

listen to Goody’s most recent interview. Not happy about the lack of pre-season games ahead of the cup. 

Edit: and we can’t exactly have the Spain camp a few weeks later because, eh, we have f**king cup fixtures to play! 

I agree with much of what you are saying and understand there is other stuff that could have been going on too. I think we both have offered valid possibilities as well...

Although we were in Spain the 1st week in July, we played our first match on the 14th - so we could have gone a week later (If we had booked it earlier), but we could also have started pre-season a week or two earlier as well - I know the players and management would not have loved this, especially because the play-offs kept us going so late on this year. I don't know what Dunfermline did, but they surely seem much more together and up-to-speed than us - we must recognise this and improve for the future in this area too.

Goodie has walked into a mess and I still assert that we should have had better things in place, guys to look at and discuss finer details with before jetting them off to Spain. I know theywon't all be willing to be tied down as many want to keep their options open etc. but having some lined up i.e. like we did with Paul McGinn last time is better. It is also rubbish that our new manager did not go to the training camp too.

I hope we play better today, but in only a couple of weeks and we are playing in the league and we have 13 main guys (If we include Tansey - and is he going to get match fit soon?) plus a reserve goalie, Kellerman, MacPherson, and some other younger lads. My worry is Goodie has had 3 weeks and only 2 new signings, plus Lyness - no doubt we have tried with a number of others and in the main it has not proved fruitful so far. P.S. I am not panicking, just highlighting we need things to click into place better than they have been....

All the best to Goodie and the boys - give us the 3 points!!!

Edited by Sweeper07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

 


One of the main reasons given for the launch of the new group stage format was that clubs would be able to replace friendlies with competitive fixtures during the summer!

 

I know...and it’s utterly ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
22 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Are you ITK re Hladky being sold this window, or just got a gut feeling ?
If we are selling him will it be too late for JG to reinvest those funds I the team ?

I am in the KFA camp, its a gut feeling he'll go in the window.

hopefully not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, melmac said:

Relegated before Christmas that is.

To be fair, despite everything, Gretna still picked up 23 points that season, which, pro rata, and adjusted for three points for a win, is more than Morton managed the last time they were up.

It's also better than Dundee managed last season, and only nine short of our total.

Underlines how gash the league was last year. We are unlikely to be so fortunate again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Plans were in place though, made by Oran. I’ve no doubt we wouldn’t be in this situation if we hadn’t changed manager. Can’t exactly cancel the Spain camp just because we’ve changed manager. 

listen to Goody’s most recent interview. Not happy about the lack of pre-season games ahead of the cup. 

Edit: and we can’t exactly have the Spain camp a few weeks later because, eh, we have f**king cup fixtures to play! 

I'm sure we would be that's the reason Oran is away the budget could not match Oran's list believe that or not nothing to do with commuting.  Oran still wants back into full time management as has been reported.  Think the accounts are going to make interesting reading in late November. You cant go through the staff we have and not take a hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm sure we would be that's the reason Oran is away the budget could not match Oran's list believe that or not nothing to do with commuting.  Oran still wants back into full time management as has been reported.  Think the accounts are going to make interesting reading in late November. You cant go through the staff we have and not take a hit. 

He won’t get back in to full time management. He’s f**ked it now, like Kenny did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

He won’t get back in to full time management. He’s f**ked it now, like Kenny did.

I agree we both know it will be near impossible for him to get back into full time management.  Was just quoting a N.I. paper who did an interview with him. The rest of my post is guess work on my side which I dont think is too off the mark . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...