Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I don't think Jim is getting the best out of most of the squad and swapping Magennis for players from Conference League ain't goint to change anything. I would like Kyle to stay but if he wants to go then we have little option. But I have little faith in the team improving with the money.

I am jealous we don't have Ross. I think the current squad would be performing a lot better if we did.

When we appointed Ross he assessed every player giving them a chance and binned all those not up to it. Unlike now where players are played regularly when they are not performing.

Ross also played players in their natural positions and as he said he fitted the team's style of play around the players he had available.

At the moment we have a terrible formation and players seem to be pushed into a space whether they can perform there or not.

Jim seems more focused on his system and persisting in making it work rather than seeing how best to use what he has.

4 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

While I'm an admirer of Ross he underperformed at Sunderland.

He's started well at Hibs but it's very early days.

Putting him down and a future Celtic and Scotland manager is pushing things at this stage. 

Hmm, not so sure about that. The same could be said of Paul Lambert at Ipswich but this season top of the league and I think a good bet for promotion. Maybe if Sunderland hadn't panicked in the way the Ipswich chairman doesn't then they might be a bit further forward ?

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I am jealous we don't have Ross. I think the current squad would be performing a lot better if we did.

When we appointed Ross he assessed every player giving them a chance and binned all those not up to it. Unlike now where players are played regularly when they are not performing.

Ross also played players in their natural positions and as he said he fitted the team's style of play around the players he had available.

At the moment we have a terrible formation and players seem to be pushed into a space whether they can perform there or not.

Jim seems more focused on his system and persisting in making it work rather than seeing how best to use what he has.

Or Maybe he's just a not good enough at this level ? ? 

His team Alloa only stayed up drawing 1-1 on the last day of the season a defeat would have seen them finish bottom, he had several players on loan from premiership teams including Celtic Rangers and Aberdeen, and Jake Hastie from Motherwell, we all saw what he done to us,  

I love Jim and he comes across great with the media, you could say he talks a good game,  but it was a big gamble to appoint him as his record if you really looked closely wasn't very good 

12 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Agree it was probably a low bid, but can’t help think we’re only advertising the fact he could be for sale in order to try to generate some more interest.

I know he’s club captain but, if he wants to go, then perhaps it’s best to sell now, as long as we can bring in another couple of players now.
And unless we start picking up points soon I suspect we’ll need significant funds for the January window.

Need a decent sell on % too

Mallan on loan along with McGregor wouldn’t be bad either (I’m assuming they’re not injured)

Don't think Mallan is the answer. McGregor would be a good shout on loan though.

If we sell Magennis we 100% need a proven goalscorer at Premiership level.

2 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Or Maybe he's just a not good enough at this level ? ? 

His team Alloa only stayed up drawing 1-1 on the last day of the season a defeat would have seen them finish bottom, he had several players on loan from premiership teams including Celtic Rangers and Aberdeen, and Jake Hastie from Motherwell, we all saw what he done to us,  

I love Jim and he comes across great with the media, you could say he talks a good game,  but it was a big gamble to appoint him as his record if you really looked closely wasn't very good 

You may be right about his ability at this level but I think to keep Alloa in the Championship under any circumstances is a big achievement.

Lets see how things pan out with Goodwin, its still early days. 

2 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

You may be right about his ability at this level but I think to keep Alloa in the Championship under any circumstances is a big achievement.

You are so wrong , at that level in Scotland now in can be beneficial for players and a football club to stay part time,  specially a club who's ambition is to stay in the League, they can attract the better players who don't want to go full time but still play and the highest level possible,  You need to think out the box Lenzie,  

We all obviously want a cup winning captain do well but I said last year after the league cup group stage embarrassment that Goodwin got off lightly because of who he is, we are now 14 months further on and if anything we have got worse its not early days he has had those 14 months to gel his team/squad and has failed big time.

I hadn't looked at fixtures beyond Friday but saw someone say we play Motherwell and Hamilton after Aberdeen even though I want him out now I would give him those 3 games and if still bottom with another 3 horrendous performances he has to go.

45 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

Yet Kearney only saved us on a penalty shootout but was seen as successful by many. 

Funny how people see things differently. 

We'll never know if Oran had what it takes or not,  But given the situation we were in saving us from relegation was a feat in itself,  but just like Jack Ross before him, A lot of the credit goes to the board who gave him the backing to get the job done,  if the old board had still been in place we would have went down to league 1.  and that I do know 

It was clear that Goodwin was a stab in the dark from the board. Unfortunately HE'S in the dark when it comes to tactics and motivation. I could never see this working out. I always want one of our own to do well but wanting isn't enough. If we give him even the next three games it might be too late. I'm disappointed he'll be in charge come Friday.

47 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

It was clear that Goodwin was a stab in the dark from the board. Unfortunately HE'S in the dark when it comes to tactics and motivation. I could never see this working out. I always want one of our own to do well but wanting isn't enough. If we give him even the next three games it might be too late. I'm disappointed he'll be in charge come Friday.

Honestly this is nonsense. He wasn't a stab in the dark he had done well at Alloa and was well know within the club. Jack Ross came from Alloa where JG achieved more ?

Jack Ross had him as his assistant for a reason.

We are on a bad run at the moment and I also question some of JG decision and signings but we are a long way from just giving him the next 3 games. We are in a small league of St J, RC, Livi, Hamilton and ourselves. We need to be third in that minimum.

We can't be changing manger again its the last think the club needs. Having said that if things keep spiralling then that will be only solution

13 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Honestly this is nonsense. He wasn't a stab in the dark he had done well at Alloa and was well know within the club. Jack Ross came from Alloa where JG achieved more ?

Jack Ross had him as his assistant for a reason.

We are on a bad run at the moment and I also question some of JG decision and signings but we are a long way from just giving him the next 3 games. We are in a small league of St J, RC, Livi, Hamilton and ourselves. We need to be third in that minimum.

We can't be changing manger again its the last think the club needs. Having said that if things keep spiralling then that will be only solution

Of course he was a stab in the dark. So was Jack Ross. The difference was that, under Jack Ross, though initially results were dreadful, you could see the organisation and thought process on the park. Goodwin is clearly out of his depth and there is no cohesion and no obvious signs he knows how to, 1) Prepare for games tactically, and 2) How to change things within a game to combat what's going wrong on the park. A fatal combination. We're on a potentially catastrophic run with no end in site. Recently we've played Ross County, St. Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock, four teams we should be looking to match, and not one victory. In fact, not even a hint of getting  one. Then listen to the absolute guff Goodwin spouts and you should realise how clueless he actually is. Take the blindfold off and look at what's actually happening.

Edited by stlucifer

Anyone who thinks any club has the money to pay off a managers contract in the current climate is deluded. I am pretty sure we won't see any managers sacked this season especially if games persist behind closed doors. Given the massive reduction in income I doubt relegation this season would be the massive financial blow it would be normally and that will be in the back of the mind of any chairman thinking of having to find the cash to make the change.

If you had taken a second to THINK about it you might have guessed it was a loan deal as he's out of the picture at Celtic.
You're missing the point, as usual.
OTHER TEAMS seem to find players, why not us? 
Exactly other teams FIND players, my initial response of "such as" was to a post asking for a signing of a proven premiership goalscorer.

Yes Griffiths clearly fits that description but even on loan I doubt we could afford the proportion of his wages. The other clubs have indeed found players to score goals over the years but the vast majority were punts taken on guys with limited records at this level

Why we don't seem to fing the holy grail of a 15 goal striker at this level who knows but outwith the OF they really are a rare commodity.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Exactly other teams FIND players, my initial response of "such as" was to a post asking for a signing of a proven premiership goalscorer.

Yes Griffiths clearly fits that description but even on loan I doubt we could afford the proportion of his wages. The other clubs have indeed found players to score goals over the years but the vast majority were punts taken on guys with limited records at this level

Why we don't seem to fing the holy grail of a 15 goal striker at this level who knows but outwith the OF they really are a rare commodity.

The way we play leaves our strikers feeding on scraps. 15 goals for a player this season, on the way we are set up, would be a miracle. Hope I'm wrong though.

19 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

The way we play leaves our strikers feeding on scraps. 15 goals for a player this season, on the way we are set up, would be a miracle. Hope I'm wrong though.

Spot on. If Obika was getting decent supply in the box, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be far off that tally. 

We're lucky if we've created double figures,  chances wise in our last 4 games. I genuinely feel sorry for our forwards with the scraps they've had to feed on.

1 hour ago, Long John Baldy said:

You've went out of your way to conjure up reasons why we shouldn't get rid of a manager who's taken us to the bottom of the league.

As I've said, relegation ISN'T an option if hope to attract these mythical strikers. 

I'm well aware it's not easy but one of the ways we can afford and, more importantly, attract any decent prospect, is by staying in the top league. 

Overall there's been the usual over reaction but we can't afford to become detached, which luckily (our early points tally did come from considerable luck) we aren't at the minute.

I don't think we will lose our next 3 games, Aberdeen game is, IMO. a write off but Motherwell are wide open and while Hamilton aren't very good we should be looing for a point at least. 

The cup games, while many write them off every year when we fall on our arse, are critical to proceed in the cup and get some confidence. 

I don't either.. we will draw with Hamilton and get humped with Aberdeen and Motherwell. I would put a fare wager on that..  Odds please ? 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
9 hours ago, lenziebud said:
Don't think Mallan is the answer. McGregor would be a good shout on loan though.
If we sell Magennis we 100% need a proven goalscorer at Premiership level.

Such as ???

Doesn't need to have played in Scotland, we need to find someone who can score regular. We need to do better than the recruitment of forwards so far.

2 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Griffiths, and that wasn't me even trying..............................or Googling.

FFS there's players out there, other teams seem to find them.

Wouldn't touch Griffiths. The minute he leaves Celtic Park he is finished if not already

100% agree with you on the sentiment though. 

Also who was the last good quality striker that we produced ourselves ??

Edited by lenziebud

2 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

You've went out of your way to conjure up reasons why we shouldn't get rid of a manager who's taken us to the bottom of the league.

As I've said, relegation ISN'T an option if hope to attract these mythical strikers. 

I'm well aware it's not easy but one of the ways we can afford and, more importantly, attract any decent prospect, is by staying in the top league. 

Overall there's been the usual over reaction but we can't afford to become detached, which luckily (our early points tally did come from considerable luck) we aren't at the minute.

I don't think we will lose our next 3 games, Aberdeen game is, IMO. a write off but Motherwell are wide open and while Hamilton aren't very good we should be looing for a point at least. 

The cup games, while many write them off every year when we fall on our arse, are critical to proceed in the cup and get some confidence. 

We should be looking for a point at least against the mighty accies? That says it all