Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

My opinion, but if we had the budget for it I think we need 3/4 extra players to allow changes in formation and game plan when 3-5-2 doesn't seem to be working. I think we need:

* A more defensive left footed LB. A left sided Fraser. This would allow Tanser to move up and be a LM/LW as he is not a defensive player at all really. Allowing a shift from 3-5-2.

* We need a pacey RWB to fit into this 352 formation. As Tait nor Henderson are the answer here.

* We need a solid no nonsense CDM to play along side Power and stop Kiltie and McGrath in the same line up. Erhahon/MacPherson might get there over time, but we need solid now as Power cannot do it all alone. This would work with 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

* Pacey RM/RW. This would allow to change to back 4 and have width with Fraser at RB of back 4 to support eachother. Allowing at times to move from 3-5-2 when not working.

* If it exists in our budget a tall, strong and Pacey forward who can play with someone or play alone up front. This would allow someone to play alongside Brophy/Main or alone and still be a pest/threat.

I know we will not have the budget for all this, so is anyone coming through the youth set up that can fill these roles?

15 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Would sir like a pinch of salt on his humble pie. emoji14.png

He had agreed to come mate but others have shown an interest in signing him plus he has just watched us get humiliated at Celtic park.

That’s us lost out on Middleton, Scott and now Kennedy, we have been in for each of them.

He had agreed to come mate but others have shown an interest in signing him plus he has just watched us get humiliated at Celtic park.
That’s us lost out on Middleton, Scott and now Kennedy, we have been in for each of them.
I hope there were other Pacey options and not all eggs in one basket. We need a natural RWB for the System (and other players to allow f**king changes when it isn't working). We also need some form pace and someone who can take a ball by a player.

13 minutes ago, scam75 said:

What we need is Goodwin's 352 fired into the sun tbh

Yup. If you're a decent, pacey wide player who happens to be available and within our budget, are you joining a team to either sit on the bench or be made to play wingback? f**k that.

12 minutes ago, scam75 said:

What we need is Goodwin's 352 fired into the sun tbh

I get the feeling that he won’t change. Managers can be very stubborn. This will be a long hard season unless he can adapt. We are too one dimensional. We have not replaced the pace we had in the team. 

2 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Kennedy deal not happening now, he’s now considering other loan options.

Not surprised after he seen us get pumped 6-0.

Get the feeling that the wheels are coming off throughout the club. Any possible deals which appear to be close are not happening , yet in the past I'm sure they would have been sorted quickly . The lack of pace and width needs addressing immediately , even if that means selling some of our assets to provide funds for the right players to come in !

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

Get the feeling that the wheels are coming off throughout the club. Any possible deals which appear to be close are not happening , yet in the past I'm sure they would have been sorted quickly . The lack of pace and width needs addressing immediately , even if that means selling some of our assets to provide funds for the right players to come in !

We have assets ? 😳

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

Was always going happen IMO as soon as SMISA took over....fans owning and running clubs a terrible idea...

47 minutes ago, billyg said:

You’re spot on. 

Goodwin said about 4 weeks ago now that he had hoped to have a wide player with pace in over the next few days that never happened, the whole kennedy saga just makes the club look very tinpot.

Long season ahead.

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

You’re spot on. 

Goodwin said about 4 weeks ago now that he had hoped to have a wide player with pace in over the next few days that never happened, the whole kennedy saga just makes the club look very tinpot.

Long season ahead.

Not good optics as us Corporate bullshitters would say.

Edited by magnus

5 hours ago, aldo_j said:

A chairperson doesn’t run the club. Down to the CEO (Tony).

If you believe that’s how the hierarchy operates at St Mirren I’d disagree….GS pretty well dictated goings on at the club from what I’ve heard

Just now, WeeBud said:

If you believe that’s how the hierarchy operates at St Mirren I’d disagree….GS pretty well dictated goings on at the club from what I’ve heard

GS owned the club so he had full executive powers and the buck stopped with him.   Who has stepped into his shoes?  Who do SMISA members criticise now? 

8 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Gs is still there so there should be continuity. The players who take ages to say no leave a bad smell. We have gone from being pretty  good at bringing players in to pretty awful. The early window signings don't look as good as we had first hoped and the team looks some way short of being competitive in this season's very tough looking top flight.

41 minutes ago, magnus said:

Gs is still there so there should be continuity. The players who take ages to say no leave a bad smell. We have gone from being pretty  good at bringing players in to pretty awful. The early window signings don't look as good as we had first hoped and the team looks some way short of being competitive in this season's very tough looking top flight.

I beg to differ. Early signings looked decent. Still settling in. Games v Dundee and Hearts were tight. Pace at a price we can afford is hard to find. Not moving on McGrath or McArthy  as  was expected a couple of weeks ago might also have impacted on what we can afford to pay. Just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I beg to differ. Early signings looked decent. Still settling in. Games v Dundee and Hearts were tight. Pace at a price we can afford is hard to find. Not moving on McGrath or McArthy  as  was expected a couple of weeks ago might also have impacted on what we can afford to pay. Just my opinion.

Hope you are right bud 👍 I  do think we can play better by having our best players play in position, namely McCarthy and McGrath. Tait is also struggling as is Kiltie. Hopefully the tinker man works some magic.

Edited by magnus