Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 hour ago, Helmettroll said:

Would love to see us bring in a new left wing back before the window shuts, Tanser seems to be made of chocolate, Tait's been doing a pretty good job but a natural left sided player will give us great balance and would complete the squad..

Lee Wallace is available  :rolleyes:

Someone posted above that Tait seldom went up the park… or never pushed forward…
and there’s me thinking he had been a goal scorer and regular threat to opposition….   :unsure:

Indeed.

That's why we need a true wing back playing there. The left side equivalent of Strain.

Until we that happens, we will continue to be under more pressure on the left hand side. Also, if we had the same type of player on the right, then Baccus would still be waiting for his first goal.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

That's why we need a true wing back playing there. The left side equivalent of Strain.

Until we that happens, we will continue to be under more pressure on the left hand side. Also, if we had the same type of player on the right, then Baccus would still be waiting for his first goal.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Hmmm.

I think you’d need 12 players in a team to fulfil ALL the specifications outlined in the above posts.

Tait is still “gives very good value” to the team.

35 minutes ago, antrin said:

Hmmm.

I think you’d need 12 players in a team to fulfil ALL the specifications outlined in the above posts.

For what it’s worth, I rate Tait but think he won’t play every game. He gives everything he has. He covers a lot of ground in a game and will need to be “rested” now and then so a sound and at least as good, or better player added to the squad for that position can only be a good thing. If they are stronger in some of the “specifications” then good.

Strain is beginning to show that he is a very good player indeed. 

Can’t argue with that.

I guess my problem is in imagining enough budget to perfectly cover all aspects of the ideal team. 

And a strange loyalty and appreciation of a talented, hard-working, skilled, heavily-tattooed player, who appears to being dismissed… whilst still being merely 32yo…

9 hours ago, antrin said:

Hmmm.

Just put Tanser in there as a replacement when he's fit, which is I'm sure what Robinson was planning for, as his current set up ideally would accommodate two wing backs who can get up the park and pressurise the opposition defence. So no need for 12 players.

I'm far from "dismissing" Tait, as he's done a good job so far.

However, if we're to do any damage down the left, we need a more mobile wing back.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Just put Tanser in there as a replacement when he's fit, which is I'm sure what Robinson was planning for, as his current set up ideally would accommodate two wing backs who can get up the park and pressurise the opposition defence. So no need for 12 players.

However, if we're to do any damage down the left, we need a more mobile wing back.

Am I the only one who thinks we are better off with Tanser nowhere near the first team? I keep reading about his crossing ability but most crosses I have seen him play overshoot the box by yards.

30 minutes ago, guinness said:

Am I the only one who thinks we are better off with Tanser nowhere near the first team? I keep reading about his crossing ability but most crosses I have seen him play overshoot the box by yards.

One of the few possibly.

Fortunately, the manager doesn't think so either.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Out of that list I would reckon Kevin Mcdonald and Mark McNulty would be good signings and possibly within wage range too. Mcdonald with plenty of experience when with Fulham and McNulty certainly knows where net is.

McDonald was a great player but he's not been the same since his transplant and his career at the higher levels of the game are probably over - we're also well versed in centre of the park so I'd pass on that.

McNulty, a definite no for me. He's a downgrade on what we have. 1 league goal every 9 games for Dundee Utd means I wouldn't waste a wage.

There's no-one from that list I'd be looking to strengthen with (I mean obviously apart from Rogic but lets be honest, that's fanciful unless he wants a pre-Aussie World Cup love-in). McGeouch and Grimshaw are only two possibilities I'd want us to look at if we weren't well covered in both areas of the squad. Neither currently going to significantly strengthen our side and would be bit part players. The best affordable free agent who left a Scottish side that was still out there on the market, we signed two weeks ago in the shape of Gogic.

Thankfully, mercifully it looks like a club, we're now beyond the 'maybe we will be utilising the free agents market after the window has closed' stage.

23 hours ago, FTOF said:

Maybe.... but he's not the answer not by a long way

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

McDonald was a great player but he's not been the same since his transplant and his career at the higher levels of the game are probably over - we're also well versed in centre of the park so I'd pass on that.

McNulty, a definite no for me. He's a downgrade on what we have. 1 league goal every 9 games for Dundee Utd means I wouldn't waste a wage.

There's no-one from that list I'd be looking to strengthen with (I mean obviously apart from Rogic but lets be honest, that's fanciful unless he wants a pre-Aussie World Cup love-in). McGeouch and Grimshaw are only two possibilities I'd want us to look at if we weren't well covered in both areas of the squad. Neither currently going to significantly strengthen our side and would be bit part players. The best affordable free agent who left a Scottish side that was still out there on the market, we signed two weeks ago in the shape of Gogic.

Thankfully, mercifully it looks like a club, we're now beyond the 'maybe we will be utilising the free agents market after the window has closed' stage.

I've got to say after reading both comments again I do agree with your take on it as both players I picked out probably wouldn't be happy as a bit part player, with that causes unrest in camp. I think we were even beyond the maybe category even under JG as he stated we didn't have the luxury of giving them 4 weeks at least to get up to speed.

Never know, Martin Foyle may unearth another one from the English market or from further afield.

4 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Out of that list I would reckon Kevin Mcdonald and Mark McNulty would be good signings and possibly within wage range too. Mcdonald with plenty of experience when with Fulham and McNulty certainly knows where net is.

McDonald is done and McNulty is absolutely woeful. 

Thankfully the days of scraping the barrel with players like that look to be over.