Glasgow Airport Rail Link Scrapped

Budmiester

Guest TPAFKATS

Well I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later, We in this country are so far behind in decent transport links for airports that it make us look like a third world country at times.

It was half ersed to start with - should've looped back round towards braehead instead of coming back to Paisley.

No doubt the taxi/minicab drivers will be happy at this announcement :wink:

No doubt the taxi/minicab drivers will be happy at this announcement :wink:

I think the whole scheme would have been a big,white elephant.People from outwith this area would have to get to Central and get a train,That would probably take much longer than getting a taxi or a lift and there's all the hassle of struggling with luggage,kids etc.People from this area are hardly likely to get a taxi/lift to Gilmour St then jump the train for a 5 min ride.I think the only regular users would have been airport workers.

Can the Racecourse get its pitches back now please?

I think the whole scheme would have been a big,white elephant.People from outwith this area would have to get to Central and get a train,That would probably take much longer than getting a taxi or a lift and there's all the hassle of struggling with luggage,kids etc.People from this area are hardly likely to get a taxi/lift to Gilmour St then jump the train for a 5 min ride.I think the only regular users would have been airport workers.

Can the Racecourse get its pitches back now please?

Does this mean well known lunatic/ protester/ex postie/part time Bud/Limo guru/PDE whore Bob McKillop has backed a cause that won......................?

The whole thing was fucked anyway. Why? Read on....

A few months ago Sandman told me the fences surrounding the route going over the racecourse had been taken down. A bit weird considering they had been up for around a year at minimum, and were presumably doing prep work prior to construction on the route starting, so did a bit of digging to find out just wtf was going on.

Didn't take me long to find out - apparently the numpties only just realised partway into the works, that the route would take them straight through the gas fuel tanks at the M8. Cue mass panic and worries of whether or not it was possible/economically viable to shift them and how much it would cost. Of course this only stayed on the architecture & planning websites and wasn't reported by the general press - presumably as they're too dense to go on such a site and realise the implications of this sort of thing. :rolleyes:

So, with the project essentially needing either a bundle of extra cash to move the tanks or go back to Sq. 1, it's surely nae surprise Swinney and co are gubbing it.

The ones that planned the thing to start with need fucking shot for complete incompetence. They presented a phony "What do you prefer: viaduct or embankment?" question to the locals in losing a several fitba pitches in a deeply unpopular move, without actually bothering to work out what'd happen after it crossed them and how viable the whole scheme would be.

Utter. Fucking. Muppets. :lol:

A few months ago Sandman told me the fences surrounding the route going over the racecourse had been taken down. A bit weird considering they had been up for around a year at minimum, and were presumably doing prep work prior to construction on the route starting, so did a bit of digging to find out just wtf was going on.

Didn't take me long to find out - apparently the numpties only just realised partway into the works, that the route would take them straight through the gas fuel tanks at the M8. Cue mass panic and worries of whether or not it was possible/economically viable to shift them and how much it would cost. Of course this only stayed on the architecture & planning websites and wasn't reported by the general press - presumably as they're too dense to go on such a site and realise the implications of this sort of thing. :rolleyes:

So, with the project essentially needing either a bundle of extra cash to move the tanks or go back to Sq. 1, it's surely nae surprise Swinney and co are gubbing it.

The ones that planned the thing to start with need fucking shot for complete incompetence. They presented a phony "What do you prefer: viaduct or embankment?" question to the locals in losing a several fitba pitches in a deeply unpopular move, without actually bothering to work out what'd happen after it crossed them and how viable the whole scheme would be.

That's funny you found all that stuff out, cos I found exactly the same thing by reading the link on HSS' original thread about this...

Was always going to happen with SNP calling the shots. The new Forth Bridge project got the thumbs up as expected , eastie , funny accented f**ks ! :angry:

The Forth bridge project got the go -ahead coz the old ones fallin down !. & those same "easties" opposed the Embra tram system but were out-voted by everyones favourite labour westminster sub committee !

What a load of made up rubbish.

There was an extremely extensive feasibility study carried out by one of the largest and highly regarded consulting engineering firms in the UK, where four proposals for the location of the terminus at the airport and the route taken from the racecourse to said terminus were drawn up. The feasibility study concluded that the route towards the fuel depot would be the most appropriate.

And for the record, this all took place more than 3 years ago.

There was an extremely extensive feasibility study carried out by one of the largest and highly regarded consulting engineering firms in the UK, where four proposals for the location of the terminus at the airport and the route taken from the racecourse to said terminus were drawn up. The feasibility study concluded that the route towards the fuel depot would be the most appropriate.

Anybody else wondering why they didn't just re-instate the old Reid Kerr express line to Babcocks and save a packet ? Probably would have been running 3 years ago too...

Not exactly made up - this is the link I saw some time back:

Architecture Scotland: 21st July - Airport Derailed - Clicky

With the project mired in uncertainty, it's zero surprise it's been binned by any finance minister looking/needing to make cuts, cunt or not.

While we're on the subject though, was never convinced with the location for the terminus either - would've pretty much destroyed the ground level parking behind the MSCP, and the ground level parking has already been severely gubbed with the drop-off area. They'd need another MSCP to make up for the shortfall, and that's a long way off.

I'm glad it's been binned. Very glad indeed - it was a shite scheme from day one going over the pitches at all, and a real wasted opportunity to not link to Renfrew & Braehead as others have said as well. Hopefully a better scheme on all counts is done in the future.

Not exactly made up - this is the link I saw some time back:

Architecture Scotland: 21st July - Airport Derailed - Clicky

With the project mired in uncertainty, it's zero surprise it's been binned by any finance minister looking/needing to make cuts, cunt or not.

While we're on the subject though, was never convinced with the location for the terminus either - would've pretty much destroyed the ground level parking behind the MSCP, and the ground level parking has already been severely gubbed with the drop-off area. They'd need another MSCP to make up for the shortfall, and that's a long way off.

I'm glad it's been binned. Very glad indeed - it was a shite scheme from day one going over the pitches at all, and a real wasted opportunity to not link to Renfrew & Braehead as others have said as well. Hopefully a better scheme on all counts is done in the future.

So you took an article which already misrepresented the situation, added more made up stuff and came up with shite?

Architecture Scotland and Prospect are as accurate as The Sun on most subjects and anyway, what would architects know about a major civil engineering contract apart from the drawing pretty pictures? The scheme was widely know in the industry to be THE BEST and indeed THE ONLY feasible route. Do you not think all other corridors were considered and ruled out for one reason or another?

The blame lies solely in one Corner, the SNP's. Introduce free primary school meals for those who can afford them, freeze council tax for the 3rd year in succession, introduce free university tuition fees for people who can afford them (at some point in the future)......... Great timing as well, with the new depot being constructed at the moment, work at Glasgow central already started for the 2 new platforms, new trains being built just now, to arrive next year, work on hillington bridge underway for 3rd track, work on underground services diversions underway at the airport and new football pitches constructed all over renfrewshire.

The Railway bridge at Hillington Estate has been getting upgraded for the last 3 months and should ongoing for another 3 months, especially for the Airport Rail link.

That must be a few Million Quid doon the Drain.

Edited by shull

The extra platform at Glasgow Central will still go ahead as will the 3rd track between Glasgow and Paisley. All funded by Network Rail. Also 40 new trains were ordered by Transport Scotland for the airport, Inverclyde and Ayrshire lines.

Don't know how many trains will be going out of Paisley when this happens? You might get a seat at the rush hour.