Pitchers Sports

Second Decay

Pitchers Sports on Moss Street was always the place the I used to meet my mates before going to St Mirren games at Love Street, but does anyone recall an incident there from around 1983 or 1984 when some youths broke in to the store and threw footballs out of the window and were shooting them down with air-rifles? I have a vague recollection of this appearing on the front page of the Daily Record when I was at Primary School.

Pitchers Sports on Moss Street was always the place the I used to meet my mates before going to St Mirren games at Love Street, but does anyone recall an incident there from around 1983 or 1984 when some youths broke in to the store and threw footballs out of the window and were shooting them down with air-rifles? I have a vague recollection of this appearing on the front page of the Daily Record when I was at Primary School.

Yep, remember that. Think it was indeed 1984. It was something like they broke in one night and were still there when the plods turned up so it turned into a bit of a siege. The Indian restaurant across the road was, at the time, a bank (TSB I think) and afterwards you could see the sandstone of the building peppered with holes where they air-gun pellets had hit. It made national news, I'm sure. I heard it get a mention on Steve Wright in the afternoon anyway. Kids; waddya make of 'em, eh? :D

Air Rifles, my hole.....................................

It was shotguns, you can still see marks on the buildings opposite.........................

It was a family of nutters from a quaint little town that's now in East Renfrewshire, that were behind it...........................

Edited by The Sandman

Yep, remember that. Think it was indeed 1984. It was something like they broke in one night and were still there when the plods turned up so it turned into a bit of a siege. The Indian restaurant across the road was, at the time, a bank (TSB I think) and afterwards you could see the sandstone of the building peppered with holes where they air-gun pellets had hit. It made national news, I'm sure. I heard it get a mention on Steve Wright in the afternoon anyway. Kids; waddya make of 'em, eh? biggrin.gif

Air Rifles, my hole.....................................

It was shotguns, you can still see marks on the buildings opposite.........................

It was a family from a quaint little town that's now in East Renfrewshire, that were behind it...........................

Beat ye. bye1.gif

Bryce's, where the scores used to be watched in the window apres Love St...........................

Yip! Do you remember walking up Moss St after a game, & the classified results were on 23 tellies?

Then (more than once) some jobsworth woud deliberately turn them off to get rid of the 25 or so folk at the window?

(Vowed as a spotty 14 year old never to buy a tell from there - & never did!)

Remember it well...shotguns and all remember Bryce Curdy breaking a programme to switch to a news flash...used to shite myself everytime that happened in they days...always thought we were about to get the 4 minute warning!

Did he own the telly Shop ? :rolleyes:

Was that cos they missed HHIBSS rolleyes.gif

Being as I was in the hoose cos it was a school night (as in I had school the next day) then it would've been a bit difficult. Word has it, though, there was a ceasefire when they seen some bloke called gary stagerring down the street after kicking out time.

Remember it well...shotguns and all remember Bryce Curdy breaking a programme to switch to a news flash...used to shite myself everytime that happened in they days...always thought we were about to get the 4 minute warning!

Ah, the good old Four Minute Warning, eh? Them were the days! :lol:

Punters wouldnae know what that is now.

Being as I was in the hoose cos it was a school night (as in I had school the next day) then it would've been a bit difficult. Word has it, though, there was a ceasefire when they seen some bloke called gary stagerring down the street after kicking out time.

Ah, the good old Four Minute Warning, eh? Them were the days! :lol:

Punters wouldnae know what that is now.

the four minute warning is now reserved for ejaculation

which also gives you time to switch the telly aff at night :lol:

Remember it well as my dad, mum and myself got off the train at Gilmour Street and when we got home to Glenburn it was all over the news.

Aye, back in the day when surviving a bus trip to Glenburn was news material... :lol::):wink: