Stevie Clarke article

I'm concerned at how Mr Clarke detonates situations, when perhaps it would be better to diffuse tensions....

When Mourinho left and Chelsea threatened to implode, it was Clarke who stayed and detonated the tension.

Sigh...

Journos noo-adays.... :rolleyes:

He was introduced to the crowd before the game. Nobody so much as farted in response, which was a shame.

When they intrduced him to the crowd myself and those around me started to clap but just at that moment some random bloke appeared out of the tunnel and it all went a bit flat. I think everyone was waiting for him to make an appearance and give us a wave but that never happened. Shame as he's one of my all time favourite Saints.

And if I'm not mistaken, he had an orange and black scarf when he was standing there which was odd.

You are mistaken, he was wearing a black scarf. He was in the directors box when he was introduced to the crowd & looked a bit surprised tbh.

He got a good round of applause from the hospitality seats.

I had a yap with him at half time. He was up visiting his parents in Saltcoats & decided to see what the new ground was like.

If he was already bored with Scottish football and wanting out because it was boring in the 80s (when Aberdeen and Dundee Utd won PL titles) it's safe to assume he's not interested in coming back now. Didn't really paint a fond picture of his St Mirren days... got signed because we turned up on the wrong day and thought the United game was rotten even though he didn't come in with high hopes for much quality it sounded like he was still disappointed!

If he was already bored with Scottish football and wanting out because it was boring in the 80s (when Aberdeen and Dundee Utd won PL titles)

Here were Scotland's rankings in the UEFA coefficients in the period when Steve Clarke was "bored" with Scottish football:

1983 - 3rd

1984 - 3rd

1885 - 7th

1986 - 9th

1987 - 7th

Back in 1983 the only countries ahead of Scotland were West Germany & Spain while England were 6th. Not only were we ahead of England but also Italy, France, Holland, Portugal & Russia! There were 3 Scottish clubs in UEFA's top 10 ranked clubs in Europe - Aberdeen, Celtic & Dundee United! Aberdeen were ranked ahead of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United AC & Inter Milan, Ajax and every other club in England.... in fact only Benfica & Hamburg were ranked above Aberdeen!

Even in 1987 when St. Mirren won the Scottish Cup, Scotland was ahead of the likes of Holland, France. while Dundee United were ranked 5th in Europe and there were 2 Scottish clubs in Europe's top 15. Dundee United were ranked just ahead of Real Madrid and also ahead of the Milan clubs, Juventus, Barcelona, etc (albeit no English clubs in Europe at this point).

Yeh, I can see Steve Clarke's point, Scottish football was obviously very "boring" when he played in it. :blink:

Slightly off track but following on from above, its incredible to think that Scotland were ranked 2nd in the UEFA rankins in 1970 with only England ahead of us. :blink:

Of course this was more or less all down to Celtic who were then ranked the number one club in Europe with Rangers down in 24th position, Aberdeen 35th, Kilmarnock 42nd and Hibs 50th.

It would have been interesting if there had been a table in 1967 as Scotland would surely have been miles out in front back then.

How Clarke can claim Scottish football was boring in the 80's I don't know. Back then we actually had a truly competitive league rather than the bigotfest sham we have to endure these days. Although if one of the bigots offered Stevie a gig I'm sure he'd up the road like a shot.

• 6 years later...