Top Five Own Goals

Bill Lees

I've started this topic, but I'm afraid the only one I can think of is Willie Donachie at Hampden about 20 years ago - cannae remember what the game was, but it was a Scotland International. There was nae pressure on him or anything - he was actually just trying to waste time by passing back to the goalie (goalies could handle backpassed balls in them days).

I tell a lie - I've just remembered the one scored by the Aston villa goalie against Bham City at St Andrews earlier this season.

Strangely, I cannae remember any own goals scored by St Mirren players at all - but there must have been some.

Guest Ruggy Bairn

Scott McKenzie scored a belter for us this season, against ICT in the first minute. Yogi Hughes gave him a good bollocking before later going up the park to score the equaliser.

Halliwell also scored one against us, Samuel hit an 18 yarder that cracked back off the post and went in off the back of the baldy englishman's head! :lol::lol:

McLaughlin also scored an own goal in the same game, after six minutes. It was a belter and unstoppable. He'd have been proud of it at the other end.

Guest bob_mcshug

rotherham V Wolves in the league cup this season - dunno who scored it but he whacked it s****ht into the top corner!!

a german goalie for armenia bielefield(?) - he watched the ball drop down, bounce of his napper and into the net - hilarious!!! :lol:

camile oponga - FFC v partick last season - passed back to hogarth from about the half way line, it was a reasonable weighted pass and should've been dealt with easily but it took a bobble when myles tried to control it and went in - bizarre, humiliating but funny non the less!! :wink:

airdrie v falkirk at broomfield, i think it was either late eighties or very early nineties, it was the season we were sponsored by Tr fastenings, jim duffy might of been manager, i was pretty young then so can only vaguley remember the details but i can easily remember the goal.

Anyway, an airdrie player is thru on goal and tries to score under gordon marshalls legs, the keeper gets a bit on it but it is still heading towards goal. Jim holmes arrives on the scene to clear it from the goal line, he takes a touch and then instead of easily blasting it out the park he passes it into the net, total disaster.

Bobby Dawson scored a brilliant header for Falkirk against Saints in January 94. Saints won 3-1 and Hewitt scored that 30,000-passes goal. Aye we had tae score for Falkirk that day as well.

Bobby Dawson scored a nice wee header against Hibs at Easter Rd the season after we won the Cup. Norrie McWhirter equalised late on and the Hibs casualw**ks gave us a doing afterwards for our troubles.

Paul Lambert scored an easy header for Celtic back in about February 92. Mind you, we were about 3-0 down at the time. Years later Celtic signed him. Aye they don't hing aboot!

Norrie McWhirter drilling a beauty past Campbell Money at Parhead in the Cup, January 91. First goal in a 3-0 gubbing.

And who could forget Tom Boyd in France 98? The only Scotsman to score for Brazil. A proud achievment.

Suprised bajansaint hasn't mentioned this one. In the Caribbean Cup a golden goal in extra time counts as two goals towards goal difference. The Barjans had to win the game by two clear goals as anything less would see their opponents Grenada go through. It was 2-1 to Barbados with three minutes to go and the Barjans put the ball into their own net to avoid going out of the cup. The situation now required the Barjans to defend both goals. They did manage to score a golden goal by themselves and progress in the cup. :blink:

In a Tiger Cup game between Thailand and Indonesia both teams had already qualified. However, winning the game would mean a tough tie in the next round against cup favourites Vietnam. It wound up with the Indonesians attacking their own goal and the Thai players defending it. The Indonesian keper caught the ball in injury time and thumped it into his own net. Both teams got humps in the semis :D

Guest Infamous 7-0

some more..

enckelman's in the birmingham derby

ronnie mauge(plymouth)heading past his own goalie for oldham as if he was scoring himself!

iain dowie(west ham)for stockport in the cup

There was a game in 1997-98 I think, at Love Street, which Saints won 2-1. Stephen Watson scored Saints equaliser, then 10 minutes from time some Hamilton player scored the winner with a fantastic diving header! Even better he scored an OG the week before as well!

a german goalie for armenia bielefield(?) - he watched the ball drop down, bounce of his napper and into the net - hilarious!!! :lol:

That was the funniest one ever...

Remember the first time I saw it thought it was in slow motion. The boy just stood there watching it come down then let it bounce off his head into the net. Superb!!!

Was there not one like that in EPL last season too where a Soton defender cleared the ball about 40 yards vertically then it came straight back down bounced and spun back into the net with Paul Jones just staring!!!

Cheers, Kev

• 1 year later...
Up stepped Frank MacAvennie...the Saints fans bellowed "MacAvennie's still a Saint...MacAv-ennie's stilll a Saint" and did Money no just pull off a brilliant penalty save.

ah what brilliant memories that brings back as a teenager standing on the North Bank - happy days! :)

Also remember big Basil scoring 1 or 2 own goals. Top bloke tho!

Guest JamboMan1
And didn't Sunderland score 3 OGs in one match last season? Must be a record!!

aye a remember that match the same guy scored two own goals and one proper goal

Guest JamboMan1

Who was that guy who hit the ball straight into his own net when he went to clear it . It was a game in England but I cant remember who it was

Guest Expecting Rain

like the Old question Sunderland did it in 79, Villa did it in 81 who did it in 1980?

As for og's I seem to remember a cracker by Terry Butcher for the DOB's against Dundee Utd, diving header into the roof of the net.