Top Five Restaurants

Isle Of Bute Saint

Braidwoods - Farmhouse just outside Dalry holding a Michelin star. Don't think I have eaten nosh this good for such a reasonable price anywhere. They must also pick the wines carefully as I have yet to taste a bad one yet,wines starting at 12 pounds. Needs to be booked well in advance which tells it's own story

Mar Hall Restaurant - Bishopton. This one is for special occasions very nice food within this five star resort.

Mother India - Glasgow. Indian food at it's best. The only thing I don't like is you feel you have to hurry up so they can get the next guests in.

The Buttery - Glasgow this restaurant with an icon name. When I was training as a chef back in the 70's this was the place. Now under the stewardship of two fat ladies who are keeping the good name up. Beautiful decor is worth a mention

Inver Cottage - Sits on the banks of Loch fyne with stunning views in the middle of nowhere. Food is superb and one of the few places I have been where I wanted to try everything on the menu.

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

Braidwoods - Farmhouse just outside Dalry holding a Michelin star. Don't think I have eaten nosh this good for such a reasonable price anywhere. They must also pick the wines carefully as I have yet to taste a bad one yet,wines starting at 12 pounds. Needs to be booked well in advance which tells it's own story

Mar Hall Restaurant - Bishopton. This one is for special occasions very nice food within this five star resort.

Mother India - Glasgow. Indian food at it's best. The only thing I don't like is you feel you have to hurry up so they can get the next guests in.

The Buttery - Glasgow this restaurant with an icon name. When I was training as a chef back in the 70's this was the place. Now under the stewardship of two fat ladies who are keeping the good name up. Beautiful decor is worth a mention

Inver Cottage - Sits on the banks of Loch fyne with stunning views in the middle of nowhere. Food is superb and one of the few places I have been where I wanted to try everything on the menu.

Canny mans, up the Braes somwhere - Just a nice wee place where you can go for a decent meal in a nice relaxed atmosphere. Great service. Generous prices.

The Caffe Continental, Gourock - Nothing too fancy but just a good wee place where the resteraunt overlooks the water, the service is great and there is a decent bar too.

Di Maggio's, City Centre - Again, decent prices and good food.

I know it's a chain.... but Chiquito's, love it!!! Love mexican food, one at xscape and key!!

Mirage in paisley, great Indian food!!!! Buffet is a bargain!

Canny mans, up the Braes somwhere - Just a nice wee place where you can go for a decent meal in a nice relaxed atmosphere. Great service. Generous prices.

The Caffe Continental, Gourock - Nothing too fancy but just a good wee place where the resteraunt overlooks the water, the service is great and there is a decent bar too.

I know it's a chain.... but Chiquito's, love it!!! Love mexican food, one at xscape and key!!

Everyone of them is pish!!!!imo ofcourse.

Have been to Mar Hall and as you say it's expensive, but well worth it for a special occasion.

Agree with you on Mother India too.Went there for the first time a couple of months ago and it was better than any Indian Restaurant I've been in previously and I've been in a lot over the years.

Another one for a special occasion is The Lochgreen Hotel in Troon.Went there as part of my wife's 40th and had a fantastic meal.

Café Andaluz (City centre) is one of my favourites.I know the tapas aren't that authentic, in comparison to the real thing,but the black pudding and chorizo sauteéd in a spicy tomato sauce dish is a truly magnificent dish.

It's a tie between The Italian Kitchen and The Battlefield Rest for the remaining spot.Both do a high standard of very tasty Italian food,but the latter does more authentic Italian food. The Italian Kitchen though, does enormous portions as well as excellent food.IIRC, both do Peroni red which is an excellent beer.

P.S.If anyone hasn't tried The Blair on Lochlibo Road, Auchentiber (formerly The Blair Tavern) since it's been done up, they should.It's excellent and does sizeable portions too.Book up,even if you're going for lunch.

Edited by FTOF

Days gone by it was called the Paraffin Lamp In Lugton.

The ship in,when you want some nice Scottish food.

Down the front in Irvine ? Yes great bar meals in there

balbirs route 77

Need to try that one. Have you tried Mother India ?

I am regretting not putting in our clubs own hospitality. Good old home cooking and plenty of it along with snacks. Topped up with free booze while tasking in a Saints game has to be strongly recommended.

Would love to meet up with fellow BAWA posters at a hospitality day. Think that would be good fun

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

Another one for a special occasion is The Lochgreen Hotel in Troon.Went there as part of my wife's 40th and had a fantastic meal.

I have heard that's a very good place one my wife keeps mentioning.Who knows I might get my fixed odds up soon.

black pudding and chorizo sauteéd in a spicy tomato sauce dish is a truly magnificent dish.

I love snaky food and that sounds absolutely delicious

Shish Mahal - My fav Indian by a mile. Been to pretty much all the so called big name ones in town but they don't come close to this IMO.

Ho Wong - Quality, streets ahead of the much raved about Amber Regent

L'Ariosto - Top Italian food

Strathearn Gleneagles - Best of quality

Cherry & Heather - This place is just off Paisley Road West at Cessnock (has about 4 seats). It's really a take-away place for lunch but they also do outside catering. Their food is top quality and highly recommended.

Edited by davidg

had a terrible exprience at a family do (no good for vegetarians that night even with prior warning)

have to take your word for this one

prefer Balbir on Church St relaxed and better food

head chef is a buddie what did you expect!!!! should be No 1 on everyones list

It's good but only if your not the nominated driver

since distance seems to play no part i would add

The Creel, St Margrets Hope, Orkney

fantastic fresh fish

Two Fat Ladies 88 dumbarton Road

small, intimate new decor brings a smile to the dourest face (and i can walk to it )(table booked for 9.30)

and for Bar Meals

Tweedies in Grasmere,Lake District

The Oyster Bar, Easdale

Di Maggio's!!!!!!!! once witnessed a member of staff being sacked in front of the whole Restaurant i'll never go back (there are way's no matter what the crime humiliation is never one of them)

Mother India Cafe, Glasgow - Love the main restaurant too but this place does it tapas style, which means you get to try loads of different things. Their Lamb Saag is amazing.

I like the Balbirs restaurants and Shish Mahal is also good but Mother India still at the top of the tree for me.

Battlefield Rest, Glasgow - cannot go there without having the Crostini Bonco to start, it's crostini in a white wine cream sauce with bacon prawns and mussels. Love it. Great atmosphere and lovely food all round.

Greek Golden Kebab, Glasgow - Great little place in Battlefield that has been there since the 70s and probably not changed since! It's tiny and the inside is a bit tacky with plastic vine leaves and fairly lights but that adds to its charm. The food is amazing though, you can get a "Mezedes" banquet option which will let you try loads of different things from the menu, most of which are delicious.

Red Onion, Glasgow - A personal favourite, owned and run by "celeb" chef John Quigley. The menu is a good mix of simple food but all is pretty great.

Pla, Barcelona - I would never claim to be well travelled but this place is worth a mention, been a few times and cannot see myself going back to Barcelona without going there! Really friendly service, modern cuisine which is all delicious. Really worth seeking out if you're ever in the city.

Di Maggio's!!!!!!!! once witnessed a member of staff being sacked in front of the whole Restaurant i'll never go back (there are way's no matter what the crime humiliation is never one of them)

aye..........add to that a Taggert esque murder and erm , naw thanks , never ever !!

In Weegiesville ................cos Paisley has phuckaw mad.gif

No 16 Byres rd , nice and quirky

Cafe Andaluz as some one else said , first rate, esp for the less formal dining

Thai Fountain, always reliably good

Shenaz - excellent and one of the first and finest Currie Houses

La Parmigiana - Great Western Road. Brilliant, first class, dreamy food and wine

aye..........add to that a Taggert esque murder and erm , naw thanks , never ever !!

In Weegiesville ................cos Paisley has phuckaw mad.gif

No 16 Byres rd , nice and quirky

Cafe Andaluz as some one else said , first rate, esp for the less formal dining

Thai Fountain, always reliably good

Shenaz - excellent and one of the first and finest Currie Houses

La Parmigiana - Great Western Road. Brilliant, first class, dreamy food and wine

Where aboot on Byres Road is that place ? :rolleyes:

I'm just going to Morrisons Cafe, a plate of mince and tatties for me and my daughter.

Should be change from my fiver.

Where aboot on Byres Road is that place ? :rolleyes:

I'm just going to Morrisons Cafe, a plate of mince and tatties for me and my daughter.

Should be change from my fiver.

Erm , the clue is in the address rolleyes.gif Just along from Toni Maccarone, up from the Three Judges.

Anyway, I'm certain you wouldn't part with the serious fiscal folding involved

You havin' a laugh - or has it been a while -- food not great, and bar very dear -- wouldnt get into top 5 places in Inverclyde....

Curry -- Priyas Palace Greenock (alltho' Mother India's Cafe for tapas style curry is brill)

Italian -- Think place called Casa roma - out in south side somewhere (i can get by car, honest)

Thai Fountain in Glasgow

Fox and Hounds in HOuston is good (wee bit pricey but good)

I'm only doing 4 --- cos any other options would be Indian or Italian

Feck -- i'm hungry now

You havin' a laugh - or has it been a while -- food not great, and bar very dear -- wouldnt get into top 5 places in Inverclyde....

Curry -- Priyas Palace Greenock (alltho' Mother India's Cafe for tapas style curry is brill)

Italian -- Think place called Casa roma - out in south side somewhere (i can get by car, honest)

Thai Fountain in Glasgow

Fox and Hounds in HOuston is good (wee bit pricey but good)

I'm only doing 4 --- cos any other options would be Indian or Italian

Feck -- i'm hungry now

2007/8 since was lat there... And was Good :-)

• 9 years later...
On 8/3/2010 at 4:39 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Good choices. Haven't been to Braidwood or Inver Cottage. On my to do list. I've eaten at and enjoyed the other three. My two to add to the list are East Coast. The peat in. Michelin starred. Excellent. Martin Wishart in Leith. Michelin Starred. Wonderful.