Dear Gus

Dear Gus, :hi

I'm still glad your gone.

At least now the dressing room and board room has a little less of this :argue: now you're gone.

I'm sure Danny will get it right once he gets rid of some of your shite signings.

I hope you don't regret turning down all those top Manager jobs to work for Radio Clyde. :music

:byebye

At least now the dressing room and board room has a little less of this :argue: now you're gone.

I'm sure Danny will get it right once he gets rid of some of your shite signings.

I hope you don't regret turning down all those top Manager jobs to work for Radio Clyde. :music

:byebye

Perhaps there isn't enough :argue: in the dressing room because Lennon according to his greatest fans let him say :wasntme and all the blame gets laid at Gus's door for this seasons poor start.

Okay so maybe it was time for Gus to go but have our Directors made any good decisions since he left? :o

I for one was glad to see Gus go - his time was up.

Have the Directors made any good decisions since he left? No.

When the BOD put the club on the market last year they admitted that they were out of ideas, had taken the club as far as they could and that it was time for others to inject new ideas etc etc. I think Danny Lennon is a decent genuine individual, however i think the BOD made an error in his appointment, he has no experience at this level and the players he has recruited thus far have failed to make an impact - budget not spent wisely. The BOD should have appointed someone with more experience but, they are out of ideas as they themselves have admitted.

I had hoped that the club would have been sold prior to the appointment of any new manager, i lost faith in our BOD some time ago. Yes, they are to be thanked for saving the club, however they would appear to be undoing all their good work in a very short period of time indeed.

In a nutshell, the problem is the BOD, and we are all going to suffer as a consequence of their ineptitude. :(

Edited by boneshaker

I was shocked when I heard about Gus' departure but was looking forward to the new style of Lennon after he was appointed. It'll be a tight league. We competed well enough in the first half but I didn't see a goal coming from either team. If it was 0-0 at half time then it could have been different. Anyone who saw the Dundee Utd game must know that goals out of nothing change games.

My only worry (actually I'd be lying if I said there was only one, but hopefully a couple of wins will sort us out) is that everyone is getting injured...which makes me think of the Scotland team under Burley... but when you look at the players Danny brought in - while they aren't all amazing - McGregor and Wardlaw are real finds.

i'm willing to bit that is quite a bit of :argue: begun in the board room already. :wink:

i'm sure Danny will get it right once he gets rid of some of your shite signings.

Like Travener, McGregor, Wardlaw, McQuade, Lynch, McAusland, McCluskey, Samson, Van Zanten, Brady & Robb?

er, wait a minute :wacko:

I hope you don't regret turning down all those top Manager jobs to work for Radio Clyde.

we're certainly regretting him going to radio clyde.

I totally agree with boneshaker on every point. Guss time was up and thats in the past. The frustrating thing about that era was that individuals, and the team as whole, consistently under achieved. We saw in the cup runs what the team were capable of but this wasnt reflected in the league. We could compete, at times dominated teams, but couldnt finish them off and lost late goals. Thats what let us down.

What was needed was a new start with an experienced, well connected manager and build on the structure that was there to take us to the next level i.e. competing mid table instead of in the relegation dog fight.

What we actually have is an inexperienced manager, with poor connections, on a shoestring budget. This team are not competing, weve not been unlucky, but extremely poor.

Weve stolen the points that weve accumulated so far, and have been worthy losers in all other games. We may only be 6 games in but anyone still using the term knicker wetter is deluded, and needs a reality check.

People have taken risks in the past to the own personal detriment to take us to the SPL, for that they have to be thanked. However the legacy they will leave behind is a team no better than the one that played at Stirling that day, in a biscuit tin of a stadium, and why; because its payback time.

In going to watch St. Mirren for 35 years this is the worst team Ive seen (Yes I include the Fitzpatrick & Coughlin eras). Weve had poor teams in the past that have been a culmination of poor management decisions, and a poor financial management over a period of years. Where we are now is due to conscious decisions that have been made over a short period to facilitate profit making. The club is being run like a small local business, and unfortunate as it is, thats not how football works.

Edited by Jumbo Whiffy

Like Travener, McGregor, Wardlaw, McQuade, Lynch, McAusland, McCluskey, Samson, Van Zanten, Brady & Robb?

Have u even been to one game yet!?!?! mcgregor, wardlaw have been willing to work their arse off every game which is more from what we get out of some of the others, mcquade has just came back from injury and although he may have been at fault for the 2nd goal he does look promising, mcclusky looked not bad and he proved that he wants the ball and can ran at players and take them on. Fair enough i think it was a bad descision to re-sign DVZand cheesy and give brady and robb new contracts and although travner gets beat a bit easily in defense he has the ability to get up the wing and take on players and get a ball into the box. Samson is just a back up keeper and i havent saw him play once so i dont no what he is like and lynch is decent.

I totally agree with boneshaker on every point. Gus’s time was up and that’s in the past. The frustrating thing about that era was that individuals, and the team as whole, consistently under achieved. We saw in the cup runs what the team were capable of but this wasn’t reflected in the league. We could compete, at times dominated teams, but couldn’t finish them off and lost late goals. That’s what let us down.

What was needed was a new start with an experienced, well connected manager and build on the structure that was there to take us to the next level i.e. competing mid table instead of in the relegation dog fight.

What we actually have is an inexperienced manager, with poor connections, on a shoestring budget. This team are not competing, we’ve not been unlucky, but extremely poor.

We’ve stolen the points that we’ve accumulated so far, and have been worthy losers in all other games. We may only be 6 games in but anyone still using the term “knicker wetter” is “deluded”, and needs a reality check.

People have taken risks in the past to the own personal detriment to take us to the SPL, for that they have to be thanked. However the legacy they will leave behind is a team no better than the one that played at Stirling that day, in a biscuit tin of a stadium, and why; because its payback time.

In going to watch St. Mirren for 35 years this is the worst team I’ve seen (Yes I include the Fitzpatrick & Coughlin eras). We’ve had poor teams in the past that have been a culmination of poor management decisions, and a poor financial management over a period of years. Where we are now is due to conscious decisions that have been made over a short period to facilitate profit making. The club is being run like a small local business, and unfortunate as it is, that’s not how football works.

Spot on. Watching yesterdays game reminded me of the 2000 spl season, lots of effort, but i knew that we had to get the first goal then hang on. We had a great opportunity to move up and compete at the next level i.e 7,8th place and for whatever reason it wasnt taken. I expect change will be forced come november after some heavy defeats and some demos by the fans, i.e walkouts, banners, etc. We need to hope that by that time we are not too far behind 11th place to catch up. If decisions arent taken then we will return to the safety (in a business sense) of the 1st division, where we can be a nice fluffy community club with a youth programmme that can produce players who move to clubs in the SPL like Hamilton, StJohnstone and Kilmarnock.

First off, anyone who doesn't want Danny Lennon to succeed at St.Mirren, and I'm convinced there are a few, is not a real fan. Quite frankly we're better off without you. I myself still hope it all comes good but I get less hopeful every week.

The biggest blunder the manager has made I feel, is under-estimating the jump in class between the second division and the SPL. Moreover, I think he now realises it. He hasn't signed good enough players to match the football he said he wished to play. Yes Warldaw and co. are hard workers but they're profesional football players. They should be hard workers. Thats the absolute minimum requirement.

Now many of you are absolutely correct when you say that the players he has inherited are playing just as crap, if not worse. Well therein lies the problem. From last season we have lost Mehmet, Dorman, Carey, McGinn and Ross, through no fault of Lennon obviously. He has then either over-estimated those who were left and most of whom he has brought in, or under-estimated the rest of the SPL. Or both. I would still argue that he's a good manager, just inexperienced.

Since we've been in the SPL, me and most of the Saints fans I talk to always felt that we were only ever about two good players away from challenging for a top six spot. Somebody made the point that we under achieved and I'd agree with that. Right now though I feel like we're about 5 or 6 players away from that.

Well you lot took less time to appear than I'd expected. Get a f**king grip on yersels. We've got one of the best young managers in the country and I hope he'll be with us for the next few years regardless of whether we get relegated or not.

Danny's had to try and rebuild a team from scratch and - shock, horror - it's not proving easy.

Away and support Barcelona or someone.

Where does this assumption that Lennon is one of the best young managers in the country come from ! He got Cowdenbeath promoted out of Div 3 then finished 4th in Div 2. The team he built has since been ripped apart (as we know only too well) and yet Cowdenbeath continue to go from strength to strength so possibly they are just a club on the up. I have seen absolutely nothing which leads me to believe he is one of the best young managers in this country - on the contrary he looks completely out his depth with no idea about the quality of player required for the SPL. The board have some SERIOUS thinking to do. Do they want an SPL club ? If they do seriously want to try and retain SPL status then Lennon needs to be replaced and urgently. If we don't have the cash to do that then why not bring in an old head to try and help him a wee bit (similar to Brown at Well) - bound to be a cheaper option than sacking the manager and as we are always being told the financial consequences of relegation would be worse.

Time for a long hard think Mr Gilmour & Co

First off, anyone who doesn't want Danny Lennon to succeed at St.Mirren, and I'm convinced there are a few, is not a real fan. Quite frankly we're better off without you. I myself still hope it all comes good but I get less hopeful every week.

Absolutely spot on. The likes of 'The Silent Majority' have been on here since day one, spouting how we are definitely going to go down (I never knew St Mirren fans could see into the future), and as soon as we get a few bad results, they're on here with their "I told you so" attitude. It is such an attention-seeking attitude to have, to berate our squad and manager then come on and say they knew that would happen all along. No they didn't; no-one knew. 'The Silent Majority' and his backers seem all too happy to watch our new manager fail, which is a disgrace, to be honest.

It's an absolute joke if they're pretending to be St Mirren supporters, and quite frankly, they can f**k off and support the vermin down either direction of the M8 because our football club doesn't need them. Now can we please give our team and manager some more time to blend, gel, and find their feet? Otherwise, if we don't, the fans can take as much of the blame if we do go down as the manager, board and players themselves.

Absolutely spot on. The likes of 'The Silent Majority' have been on here since day one, spouting how we are definitely going to go down (I never knew St Mirren fans could see into the future), and as soon as we get a few bad results, they're on here with their "I told you so" attitude. It is such an attention-seeking attitude to have, to berate our squad and manager then come on and say they knew that would happen all along. No they didn't; no-one knew. 'The Silent Majority' and his backers seem all too happy to watch our new manager fail, which is a disgrace, to be honest.

It's an absolute joke if they're pretending to be St Mirren supporters, and quite frankly, they can f**k off and support the vermin down either direction of the M8 because our football club doesn't need them. Now can we please give our team and manager some more time to blend, gel, and find their feet? Otherwise, if we don't, the fans can take as much of the blame if we do go down as the manager, board and players themselves.

Absolutely Rubbish!!

So if st mirren are losing and playing shit, anyone who critises the manager isn't a true Saints fan!

The reasoon that they are so upset is because they LOVE St Mirren.

Whats happening at the moment is feckin terrible. We could have been a club on the up but we are not. We are playing really bad.

I don't want us to be relegated. My wee boy will be so upset.

I really hope that Danny Lennon will turn it around. And I think, giving time he will. But due to the transfer window, injuries etc, I don't know if he will turn it around in time.

Sad times

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and its not easy being downbeat about the team you have supported for 40 years. we would all love to be on here every week signing the praises of the players and the management team, but right now its just not happening. i do think DL is a promising manager, but managers are judged on results just like everyone in their own job,

i just think its a big worry as today DL was a man looking for the ground to open up underneath him when we went 2 nil down. fingers crossed we manage to turn it around,

FFS, it is 6 games we have played and from where I am looking on the league table only the old firm are streets ahead. Hamilton have been getting plaudits but are 1 point ahead of us while Hibs are in freefall if you believe the press. Btw, this ICT beat Dundee Utd 4-0 away but i never heard people scrambling for Peter Houston to be sacked. It is far too early to talk about sackings when there are 90 points to play for. Judge DL when he has a full squad to choose from. Some players are adapting to life in a higher league while DL has had to play some out of position or play a specific formation due to 4 key players missing; Barron, Dargo, Higdon and Thompson - all would likely be first choice picks.

I have watched the team since 1967 and have seen worse sides. However, to call for Gus to be brought back is a joke when many stopped coming for the negative shite that was displayed week in week out. DL needs time and backing and will learn from his mistakes like many other better managers have done. I have seen some knickerwetting in my time but this takes the biscuit and we are not even out of September yet. I am confident that we will improve this season once we have those key players back and others adjust to the pace of the SPL. I have not seen anything special from Fakes or ICT to think that they are miles better than us.

If we are not good enough to stay up this season then we will regroup and come back stronger. The difference being that we will not be in debt and we will still have a club. I would think a number of clubs - Dundee being one - would like to be in our position at this time despite our poor results.

The team needs time to gel. We have certian players playing who are nowhere near the required level to play in the spl, although, some of the signings look good like McGregor, McGowan and wardlaw.

Danny will hopefully now realise certian players simply arent good enough, and when players like barron, thompson, higdon and Dargo are back we might be able to get the rid of the sh*t out.

The best starting 11 IMO would be

Gallacher

Barron McGregor Potter Robb

McCluskey Murray Thompson McGowan

Higdon Dargo

When we get all our team back and have time to gel, Things will start to change.

Absolutely Rubbish!!

So if st mirren are losing and playing shit, anyone who critises the manager isn't a true Saints fan!

Whats happening at the moment is feckin terrible. We could have been a club on the up but we are not. We are playing really bad.

I really hope that Danny Lennon will turn it around. And I think, giving time he will. But due to the transfer window, injuries etc, I don't know if he will turn it around in time.

Sad times

The bottom line is that St Mirren are dealing in the bargain basement of football - the Primark of this world. Others, many in debt, e.g. Killie, Dundee Utd and Hearts, are paying much higher wages than we can afford. The club nearly went out of existence in the first division and our board pulled a rabbit out of the hat and managed to get us onto an even keel, out of debt and providing us with a brand new stadium and training ground. How some forget those dark days and if we had been offered this position back then we would have bitten the hands off those offering to be where we are. It is time to get a reality check. We cannot compete wage wise with a lot of those clubs and players will always go where the money is. Developing our own youth set up and bring through talent is the preferred route bearing in mind the cost of establish our new training facilities. I would love to see us playing the quality of football seen between 75 and 83 but it's not going to happen overnight or maybe ever again. Any decent talent we bring through will be hard to keep as many others will be able to offer more money. However, we are where we are and the squad, minus some of our more talented players, is what we have. We need to stick with the manager and players to see how they perform over a longer period than simply the first 6 games. Remember, Hamilton had a horrendous start to last season - and this to be honest, but managed to pull things together. Have a bit of patience as shouting and ranting as the manager and players will have a detrimental effect. We all love our club but part of loving the club is to support it even when things are going belly up.

I don't like this thread. Gus has gone and some people just have to deal with it.

Danny Lennon is quite rightly getting stick after the three abysmal performances that his team have just put in but that is no reason for re-opening a debate that has been done to death and undermines the current manager.

Hopefully this thread will die the quick death it deserves

Absolutely Rubbish!!

Sad times

I never said anything about people who criticise the manager - I criticised him yesterday. What I'm pointing out is the sad attitude that some people seem to have that they were all right that getting rid of Gus was a mistake, and we were all wrong, and the apparent pleasure they're having in the manager failing, so that they can come out and say "I told you so". Some people haven't said one good thing about Danny Lennon since he arrived, and have not given him their support, and it's a total joke if they consider themselves fans.

FFS, it is 6 games we have played and from where I am looking on the league table only the old firm are streets ahead. Hamilton have been getting plaudits but are 1 point ahead of us while Hibs are in freefall if you believe the press. Btw, this ICT beat Dundee Utd 4-0 away but i never heard people scrambling for Peter Houston to be sacked. It is far too early to talk about sackings when there are 90 points to play for. Judge DL when he has a full squad to choose from. Some players are adapting to life in a higher league while DL has had to play some out of position or play a specific formation due to 4 key players missing; Barron, Dargo, Higdon and Thompson - all would likely be first choice picks.

I have watched the team since 1967 and have seen worse sides. However, to call for Gus to be brought back is a joke when many stopped coming for the negative shite that was displayed week in week out. DL needs time and backing and will learn from his mistakes like many other better managers have done. I have seen some knickerwetting in my time but this takes the biscuit and we are not even out of September yet. I am confident that we will improve this season once we have those key players back and others adjust to the pace of the SPL. I have not seen anything special from Fakes or ICT to think that they are miles better than us.

If we are not good enough to stay up this season then we will regroup and come back stronger. The difference being that we will not be in debt and we will still have a club. I would think a number of clubs - Dundee being one - would like to be in our position at this time despite our poor results.

Great post. :)

The bottom line is that St Mirren are dealing in the bargain basement of football - the Primark of this world. Others, many in debt, e.g. Killie, Dundee Utd and Hearts, are paying much higher wages than we can afford.

killie aren't paying much higher wages than us - and neither are inverness or st. Johnstone. we've lost to all 3 now. and hamilton aren't paying higher wages either.

you might be quite happy to sit back and be a happy clapper until its too late. i'm not.