Dear Gus

killie aren't paying much higher wages than us - and neither are inverness or st. Johnstone. we've lost to all 3 now. and hamilton aren't paying higher wages either.

And how many points are they ahead of us in the league? That is my point. The time to become really concerned is when we are adrift of those teams by a sizable margin. Until then, get behind the manager and team and do what a supporter is supposed to do - support.

FFS, it is 6 games we have played and from where I am looking on the league table only the old firm are streets ahead. Hamilton have been getting plaudits but are 1 point ahead of us while Hibs are in freefall if you believe the press. Btw, this ICT beat Dundee Utd 4-0 away but i never heard people scrambling for Peter Houston to be sacked. It is far too early to talk about sackings when there are 90 points to play for. Judge DL when he has a full squad to choose from. Some players are adapting to life in a higher league while DL has had to play some out of position or play a specific formation due to 4 key players missing; Barron, Dargo, Higdon and Thompson - all would likely be first choice picks.

I have watched the team since 1967 and have seen worse sides. However, to call for Gus to be brought back is a joke when many stopped coming for the negative shite that was displayed week in week out. DL needs time and backing and will learn from his mistakes like many other better managers have done. I have seen some knickerwetting in my time but this takes the biscuit and we are not even out of September yet. I am confident that we will improve this season once we have those key players back and others adjust to the pace of the SPL. I have not seen anything special from Fakes or ICT to think that they are miles better than us.

If we are not good enough to stay up this season then we will regroup and come back stronger. The difference being that we will not be in debt and we will still have a club. I would think a number of clubs - Dundee being one - would like to be in our position at this time despite our poor results.

100% spot on.

Excellent post - I doff my cap to you Sir :)

FFS, it is 6 games we have played and from where I am looking on the league table only the old firm are streets ahead. Hamilton have been getting plaudits but are 1 point ahead of us while Hibs are in freefall if you believe the press. Btw, this ICT beat Dundee Utd 4-0 away but i never heard people scrambling for Peter Houston to be sacked. It is far too early to talk about sackings when there are 90 points to play for. Judge DL when he has a full squad to choose from. Some players are adapting to life in a higher league while DL has had to play some out of position or play a specific formation due to 4 key players missing; Barron, Dargo, Higdon and Thompson - all would likely be first choice picks.

I have watched the team since 1967 and have seen worse sides. However, to call for Gus to be brought back is a joke when many stopped coming for the negative shite that was displayed week in week out. DL needs time and backing and will learn from his mistakes like many other better managers have done. I have seen some knickerwetting in my time but this takes the biscuit and we are not even out of September yet. I am confident that we will improve this season once we have those key players back and others adjust to the pace of the SPL. I have not seen anything special from Fakes or ICT to think that they are miles better than us.

If we are not good enough to stay up this season then we will regroup and come back stronger. The difference being that we will not be in debt and we will still have a club. I would think a number of clubs - Dundee being one - would like to be in our position at this time despite our poor results.

The bottom line is that St Mirren are dealing in the bargain basement of football - the Primark of this world. Others, many in debt, e.g. Killie, Dundee Utd and Hearts, are paying much higher wages than we can afford. The club nearly went out of existence in the first division and our board pulled a rabbit out of the hat and managed to get us onto an even keel, out of debt and providing us with a brand new stadium and training ground. How some forget those dark days and if we had been offered this position back then we would have bitten the hands off those offering to be where we are. It is time to get a reality check. We cannot compete wage wise with a lot of those clubs and players will always go where the money is. Developing our own youth set up and bring through talent is the preferred route bearing in mind the cost of establish our new training facilities. I would love to see us playing the quality of football seen between 75 and 83 but it's not going to happen overnight or maybe ever again. Any decent talent we bring through will be hard to keep as many others will be able to offer more money. However, we are where we are and the squad, minus some of our more talented players, is what we have. We need to stick with the manager and players to see how they perform over a longer period than simply the first 6 games. Remember, Hamilton had a horrendous start to last season - and this to be honest, but managed to pull things together. Have a bit of patience as shouting and ranting as the manager and players will have a detrimental effect. We all love our club but part of loving the club is to support it even when things are going belly up.

2 absolutely brilliant posts!

Flanders for president!!! :P

And how many points are they ahead of us in the league? That is my point. The time to become really concerned is when we are adrift of those teams by a sizable margin. Until then, get behind the manager and team and do what a supporter is supposed to do - support.

my god,how misguided i have been,there was me thinking its time to act before things get out of hand !! but no ,the time to act is when it too late to do anything about it ??

The best starting 11 IMO would be

Gallacher

Barron McGregor Potter Robb

McCluskey Murray Thompson McGowan

Higdon Dargo

When we get all our team back and have time to gel, Things will start to change.

i would change it a wee bit and say

Gallacher

Barron McGregor Potter Travner

McQuade Thomson McClusky

McGowan

Wardlaw Dargo

Guest TPAFKATS

my god,how misguided i have been,there was me thinking its time to act before things get out of hand !! but no ,the time to act is when it too late to do anything about it ??

knee jerk reaction

What is so difficult to understand? We are among 6 other teams who are performing just as badly as we are points wise. Do you hear Everton fans wanting Davie Moyes out yet they have only 3 points and bottom of the league? No, like their fans it is far too early to panic after only a handful of games. Get real FFS, we are a small club who are fortunate to have stayed in the SPL with the limited budget and considering we were on the brink of going out of business not that long ago. It takes time and being a fan of our beloved club means we will all have far more downs than up.

What is so difficult to understand? We are among 6 other teams who are performing just as badly as we are points wise. Do you hear Everton fans wanting Davie Moyes out yet they have only 3 points and bottom of the league? No, like their fans it is far too early to panic after only a handful of games. Get real FFS, we are a small club who are fortunate to have stayed in the SPL with the limited budget and considering we were on the brink of going out of business not that long ago. It takes time and being a fan of our beloved club means we will all have far more downs than up.

I take your point, but David Moyes has a good history as manager of Everton, so the fans will give him the benefit because they know he has turned things around in the past.

Gus to a certain extent had the same at St.Mirren, particularly when we went on the oft-quoted long win-less runs.

Lennon doesn't have that to fall back on.

It's up to Danny and the players to dig in and start performing better, and I am sure every single St.Mirren fan must hope that they do.

Even I'm starting to think that Div has a fairly negative agenda at the moment. :P

As disappointing as the result was, at least Danny made the sort of changes we would have hoped for. At 2-0 down he brought on attacking players, getting a goal back in the process. He has recognised the issues and communicated them to both the fans and I am sure in no uncertain terms to the players. Gus would have maintained his defensive play despite being 2-0 down and given the finger to fans in the main stand that dared remonstrate with his f"kwittery.

The cruxt of the problem we currently have is the number of goals we are shipping. That being said it is what I expected early on. Once the side gets the balance right and that wee fanny McGowan stops showboating and thinks about the rest of the team and the consequences of his selfish mcgreedyesque nonsense then we should see the points start to build. We won't be top 6 and we might run it close to the wire but I think we will be fine. We want at least one more win in the first round of matches to be on track. :)

but i thought that getting a new manager would instantly improve things?

take the blinkers off. we need to get shot of lennon now before the situation gets worse.

So who is going to come in and sprinkle their magic fairy dust?

You're at the fanny here, I know that fine, but it's pish all the same <_<

Lennon has made many mistakes, but we'll discover of what calibre he is as a manager from the manner in which he learns from them. He's learning the ropes, as are many members of his squad.

A football manager's fortunes will ebb and flow over a period of time. If we'd judged our previous managers on 6 game stretches and bagged them as a result, then we'd have had something in the region of 100 in the past 15 years :rolleyes:

Edited by Drew

but i thought that getting a new manager would instantly improve things?

take the blinkers off. we need to get shot of lennon now before the situation gets worse.

What are you on about? Are you implying that any manager gets no more than 6 games to change things at a football club? Imagine if Man Utd binned Fergie after 6 fames - I think it was 5 years before they won anything. Noone knows just how things will improve - or not - until the team is bedded down and we have a fit squad to choose from.

I do not need blinkers my friend. I am a realist and know that having watched the buds for 43 years my expectations are with feet firmly on the ground. Knee jerk reactions like sacking a manager after 6 games would make our club not only seriously impatient/unprofessional but also the laughing stock of Scottish football.

You have clearly been against Danny since day 1 or, if not, you have a strange way of showing loyalty at such an early stage of the season. No amount of moaning from you and londonbud will make the board suddenly decided to sack a 'promising' manager learning his trade at the top of Scottish football. We have no divine right to be in the top league and we have to earn that right to stay there. The BOD have seen something in Danny that you and others don't and they will stand and fall by their decision in due course. However, at least give the manager at least the first quarter before you vent you spleen.

I take your point, but David Moyes has a good history as manager of Everton, so the fans will give him the benefit because they know he has turned things around in the past.

Gus to a certain extent had the same at St.Mirren, particularly when we went on the oft-quoted long win-less runs.

Lennon doesn't have that to fall back on.

It's up to Danny and the players to dig in and start performing better, and I am sure every single St.Mirren fan must hope that they do.

I take your point Dave but I was simply indicating the 'now' position in that Everton are bottom of the league with only 3 points but the club know they have a good manager there and will get them out of it in due course. Danny has had 6 league games and we need to give him time to sort things out rather than screaming for his head after only half a dozen games.

Even I'm starting to think that Div has a fairly negative agenda at the moment. :P

As disappointing as the result was, at least Danny made the sort of changes we would have hoped for. At 2-0 down he brought on attacking players, getting a goal back in the process. He has recognised the issues and communicated them to both the fans and I am sure in no uncertain terms to the players. Gus would have maintained his defensive play despite being 2-0 down and given the finger to fans in the main stand that dared remonstrate with his f"kwittery.

The cruxt of the problem we currently have is the number of goals we are shipping. That being said it is what I expected early on. Once the side gets the balance right and that wee fanny McGowan stops showboating and thinks about the rest of the team and the consequences of his selfish mcgreedyesque nonsense then we should see the points start to build. We won't be top 6 and we might run it close to the wire but I think we will be fine. We want at least one more win in the first round of matches to be on track. :)

So who will we beat?

Motherwell away? No chance

Hamilton home? I doubt it

Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen? You're joking!!

Forget it - we won't win another match for a long time

Face it

The directors took the cheap option

They took a mighty risk with an untried manager and we're going to pay big time

He signed players who are sub standard and appears to have lost the players who should be up to the SPL

The team is disorgansied

There is no sprit There is no quality except for a Celtic loan player who is so frustrated with the gash he is playing with he's shouting at everybody

And now the manager says perhaps we need to be hard to beat!!

Isn't that why we got rid of the last one? Negative tactics getting points but driving the fans away?

Defeat after defeat to teams around us and being bottom of the league drives fans away also!!

I'm not having a pop at the second rate players we've signed or the rookie manager. I've no doubt they are doing their best

I'd love to give him time to settle in but not at the expense of the future of St Mirren

It's the Directors who need to look in the mirror They're narrow self interest will set our club back years

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see any evidence to the contrary

Edited by Danny

So who will we beat?

Motherwell away? No chance

Hamilton home? I doubt it

Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen? You're joking!!

Forget it - we won't win another match for a long time

Face it

The directors took the cheap option

They took a mighty risk with an untried manager and we're going to pay big time

He signed players who are sub standard and appears to have lost the players who should be up to the SPL

The team is disorgansied

There is no sprit There is no quality except for a Celtic loan player who is so frustrated with the gash he is playing with he's shouting at everybody

And now the manager says perhaps we need to be hard to beat!!

Isn't that why we got rid of the last one? Negative tactics getting points but driving the fans away?

Defeat after defeat to teams around us and being bottom of the league drives fans away also!!

I'm not having a pop at the second rate players we've signed or the rookie manager. I've no doubt they are doing their best

I'd love to give him time to settle in but not at the expense of the future of St Mirren

It's the Directors who need to look in the mirror They're narrow self interest will set our club back years

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see any evidence to the contrary

Wrong, Lennon's signings have performed better than the players here previously.

Also, the players you claim to be SPL-standard had already left before Lennon was appointed.

Wrong, Lennon's signings have performed better than the players here previously.

Also, the players you claim to be SPL-standard had already left before Lennon was appointed.

No contradiction there

Some did leave but the rest played in teams which have kept us up for five years

The players who have previously done enough to keep us up are not performimg this year for the reason I give - they don't respond to the manager for whatever reason

And the new players have been slightly better - but neither set of players has been SPL standard for different reasons

I'm afraid I can't look at it through the tinted glasses many seem to have on - I've watched Saints far too long for that

This is the worst squad in years and way below the standard of our immediate opponents in the relegation dog fight as results, performances and the table are already showing

Only Paul McGowan is performing to SPL standard

The rest have either lost it (Murray, Mair, DVZ, Potter etc.) or never had it (Wardlaw, Trabner, Lynch, McQuade et al)

The board has consigned us to relegation with their cheap option and by the time many realise it we'll be goners

I've seen the same mistakes made at board level a number of times and history is repeating itself

Remember Wilson Humphries in 1970 and the slide to the worst position in our history?

New exciting manager who would change direction - and was cheap to boot!!

Remember John Coughlin?

Here we go again

Thanks SG

Edited by Danny

No contradiction there

Some did leave but the rest played in teams which have kept us up for five years

The players who have previously done enough to keep us up are not performimg this year for the reason I give - they don't respond to the manager for whatever reason

And the new players have been slightly better - but neither set of players has been SPL standard for different reasons

I'm afraid I can't look at it through the tinted glasses many seem to have on - I've watched Saints far too long for that

This is the worst squad in years and way below the standard of our immediate opponents in the relegation dog fight as results, performances and the table are already showing

Only Paul McGowan is performing to SPL standard

The rest have either lost it (Murray, Mair, DVZ, Potter etc.) or never had it (Wardlaw, Trabner, Lynch, McQuade et al)

The board has consigned us to relegation with their cheap option and by the time many realise it we'll be goners

I've seen the same mistakes made at board level a number of times and history is repeating itself

Remember Wilson Humphries in 1970 and the slide to the worst position in our history?

Remember John Coughlin?

Here we go again

Thanks SG

6 games in and you, like many others on this forum, have written St Mirren off and have consigned us to relegation.

Come game 38 if we'r still in the SPL and possibly in a higher position than in previous seasons then a lot of people on here will be made to feel like total clowns.

Give Lennon and the new players a chance because the shite being dished up is being dished up by Gus's signings.

6 games in and you, like many others on this forum, have written St Mirren off and have consigned us to relegation.

Come game 38 if we'r still in the SPL and possibly in a higher position than in previous seasons then a lot of people on here will be made to feel like total clowns.

Give Lennon and the new players a chance because the shite being dished up is being dished up by Gus's signings.

I would be happy to be wrong. I've supported my team for over 40 years man and boy

I know a bad team when I see one - I've seen enough of them over the years

This team is mostly made of players signed since Gus left or re-signed by Danny Lennon So you can't blame it soley on the players from the time of the last manager.

Yes they've been letting us down too but the new players, try as they do, simply aren't SPL quality

Not their fault but a fact none the less

If you care about St Mirren you do no favours to the club or its support if you simply cover your eyes and hope we will be OK

It's your duty to point to fears and concerns in the hope they will be addressed before its too late.

No point in looking for an answer in week 38 if you're already down

That doesn't mean you don't support your team Quite the opposite

The board have decided cost comes first even if that means relegation

As I said we've been here before I speak from many bitter experiences with St Mirren

He who fails to learn the lessons of history is doomed to repeat them

Funnily enough I mentioned the likeness to the Humphries , cheap option , situation during Saturday's game. The major difference is that the standard of current player at the club has been stripped bare due to the BODs reluctance to make any sort of money available despite our strong and safe financial position, whereas Humphries had some decent money to spend , bringing in the likes of Jim Blair(back from Hibs) for 30k and he already had good young players in Ally McLeod , Bobby McKean, Iain Munro and Gordon McQueen at the club. Danny has next to no money to spend and the failings of the previous regime has not afforded him the luxury of decent youngsters either. He is trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear , and it simply isn't fair on him ! :angry:

Edited by billyg