Dear Gus

You are just another emample of how St Mirren fans know no loyalty. Given what he did for our club, he deserved loyalty for the fans. He had never let us down and yet individuals like yourself turned on him, for what are clearly personal issues. Shame on you. The club is better without supporters like that.

Definitely at the wind-up! You gave it away with this post - the irony of which is probably completely lost on you!

Know no loyalty? Yet you are asking for a manager to be sacked after only 7 games, where is your loyalty? Gus was given 7 years, many fans gave 5/6 years loyalty before many turned against him for obvious reasons i.e. football being pish, shite signings etc.

He let us down big time at Hampden with the best chance St Mirren will have of winning a cup in probably my life time, this in fact was the final straw for many and the reason many who had not already turned on him, did turn.

There are no personal issues as I'm sure the vast majority of people on here do not know Gus personally.

You should support the current manager, whoever he may be. Asking for him to be sacked after 7 games...SHAME ON YOU!

One of the main reason, I reckon, that so many turned on him in the last few months was that he clearly stated that he couldn't stand the St Mirren fans and him and Andy Millen had absolutely no respect for the people who were, ultimately, paying their wages.

Some of the "go to the pictures, then" comments were the final straw, imo!

Quite incredible this thread.

Was it really a small band of forum posters who were responsible for Gus losing his job ? Forum members make up a very small part of our support.

Were there demonstrations at St Mirren Park ? Nope

Was there boooing at games to get Gus out ? Nope

The way I see it Gus on a regular basis talked to the press complaining how he had to work with such a low budget. He also mentioned he would be off to England given the chance putting himself in the shop window.

The board seen the need for the budget to be cut something Gus would find hard to swallow given his constant rantings to the press.

So have to agree with the board a new direction was needed , a new way of thinking so wether you like Lennon or not he is our manager and as such should be given our full support rather than constantly going on about a previous manager who has hee haw to do with the club.

Erm actually there was, the group of shall we say the intelligencia who used to sit behind me boo'd and called for his sacking at almost every game last season, the only game i didn't hear a single 'six years of this shite MacPherson' from them was the sellic game, which of course they didn't attend.

Was Stuart Gilmour & Co getting it in the neck week after week in person from loud mouth boo boys?

Yip.

I agree with what you wrote Andy but don’t believe a very small section of our support got Gus sacked. Anyway it’s history now don’t you think it’s time everyone gets behind the players and manager after all we all want the same thing at the end of the day.

1. he clearly stated that he couldn't stand the St Mirren fans

2. him and Andy Millen had absolutely no respect for the people who were, ultimately, paying their wages.

3. Some of the "go to the pictures, then" comments were the final straw, imo!

1. This is simply untrue. I will be replete with apologies if you can find one instance where Gus said this. IIRC there were many people charmed by him when they encountered him at the ground - and in the chats with fans like the one arranged for this week.

2. Again - I hate to call someone a liar - but I really would like to see your sources to justify such an outrageous claim.

3. Quoting out of context is yet another instance of fudging reality. Gus was validly replying in a conversation with a journalist about the quality of football involved in a relegation battle and he quoted what Jim Jeffries of Kilmarnock had said earlier in the week. Not Gus's original thought or opinion - but that of someone else entirely. If you want a final straw then you had to have been a Killie supporter at the time to make that one stick.

1. This is simply untrue. I will be replete with apologies if you can find one instance where Gus said this. IIRC there were many people charmed by him when they encountered him at the ground - and in the chats with fans like the one arranged for this week.

2. Again - I hate to call someone a liar - but I really would like to see your sources to justify such an outrageous claim.

3. Quoting out of context is yet another instance of fudging reality. Gus was validly replying in a conversation with a journalist about the quality of football involved in a relegation battle and he quoted what Jim Jeffries of Kilmarnock had said earlier in the week. Not Gus's original thought or opinion - but that of someone else entirely. If you want a final straw then you had to have been a Killie supporter at the time to make that one stick.

To be honest, I am not the best at recalling information, stats, specific occasions etc, and so I will take what you say to be true...

What I am quite good at though is remembering how I, and I am sure many others, felt at the time. I guess, perception has an interesting way of influencing reality!

What I mean is, I don't remember any interviews in which Gus stated that the fans were the '11th man' or that he was 'proud of the traveling support and that performance was for them', or that he 'appreciated that the fans are passionate about the club and so are understandably voicing their opinion' or anything like that. I may be wrong and you may be able to provide numerous examples - if so, again I will eat humble pie - I enjoy that taste :-)

And so the the perception that I got from last season was that Gus really found the fans an irritation, as opposed to Danny's method of, at least, weekly interviews on the 'fishal site, Q&A sessions and a very open managerial approach, which I think most fans really appreciate.

Like I said though, my impression of Gus and last season could well have just been my perception.

To be honest, I am not the best at recalling information, stats, specific occasions etc, and so I will take what you say to be true...

What I am quite good at though is remembering how I, and I am sure many others, felt at the time. I guess, perception has an interesting way of influencing reality!

What I mean is, I don't remember any interviews in which Gus stated that the fans were the '11th man' or that he was 'proud of the traveling support and that performance was for them', or that he 'appreciated that the fans are passionate about the club and so are understandably voicing their opinion' or anything like that. I may be wrong and you may be able to provide numerous examples - if so, again I will eat humble pie - I enjoy that taste :-)

And so the the perception that I got from last season was that Gus really found the fans an irritation, as opposed to Danny's method of, at least, weekly interviews on the 'fishal site, Q&A sessions and a very open managerial approach, which I think most fans really appreciate.

Like I said though, my impression of Gus and last season could well have just been my perception.

Would you call our fans the 11th man? Weve introduced a singing section as a last ditch attempt to get some atmosphere! Id rather DL had us playing a good game rather than talking it!

As for the notion that a small group of vigilantes (internet based or otherwise) got gus the sack. Can said vigilantes be on stanby as they may be needed again soon :rolleyes:

I think you'll find the saying is, 'The fans were the 12th man'

Not the 11th. :lol:

Thats not the point though.

A similar thing is happening at Liverpool with Roy Hodgson.

Many Liverpool fans would say Rafa Benitez was a successful manager, especially after leading them to the Champions League. However, I'm sure many supporters would feel he had served his time and it was time for a change or a new direction. A bit like St Mirren supporters.

Roy Hodgson has now taken over, he's brought in his own players but Liverpool are not performing well and find themselves in the bottom 3.

Another similarity with St Mirren is that players from the previous regime i.e. Torres and Gerrard are not performing like they did under the previous manager.

Will Roy Hodgson be sacked after 7 games? Not a chance. So get off Lennon's back and give the guy a f**king chance.

That is the aspect I find most annoying about Danny's time in charge (not the performance on the park). Many fans appear to be gullable and be appeased by his "open managerial approach." It's not possible to be transparent in the world of football management, everyone has a motive and anyone who says otherwise is lying. I would more often than not suggest his style is manipulative. Call me a cynic if you want, but that is the conclusion I have come to.

The abridged version for those who can't read a full paragraph

He's ripping the hole out the fans and people don't see it.

Edited by civilsaint

That is the aspect I find most annoying about Danny's time in charge (not the performance on the park). Many fans appear to be gullable and be appeased by his "open managerial approach." It's not possible to be transparent in the world of football management, everyone has a motive and anyone who says otherwise is lying. I would more often than not suggest his style is manipulative. Call me a synic if you want, but that is the conclusion I have come to.

I won't call you a synic. I might call you a cynic though.

What exactly is a synic?

I think you'll find the saying is, 'The fans were the 12th man'

Not the 11th. :lol:

Thats not the point though.

A similar thing is happening at Liverpool with Roy Hodgson.

Many Liverpool fans would say Rafa Benitez was a successful manager, especially after leading them to the Champions League. However, I'm sure many supporters would feel he had served his time and it was time for a change or a new direction. A bit like St Mirren supporters.

Roy Hodgson has now taken over, he's brought in his own players but Liverpool are not performing well and find themselves in the bottom 3.

Another similarity with St Mirren is that players from the previous regime i.e. Torres and Gerrard are not performing like they did under the previous manager.

Will Roy Hodgson be sacked after 7 games? Not a chance. So get off Lennon's back and give the guy a f**king chance.

Haha i knew what he meant but it didnt register that it should have been 12th man!

I won't call you a synic. I might call you a cynic though.

What exactly is a synic?

Too many pints. Please accept my profound apologies for such a mistake, I will endevour not to make such a gross error again.

You clearly understand the content of my post, what was the need in pointing out a typo? Does it make you feel really intellegent? If you're that sad and bored, why don't you go through the full archive of the forum and count how many spelling errors you can find, and check for grammar while you're at it. Actually, why don't you just trawl the full WWW looking for typos, it seems that is your calling in life.

Too many pints. Please accept my profound apologies for such a mistake, I will endevour not to make such a gross error again.

You clearly understand the content of my post, what was the need in pointing out a typo? Does it make you feel really intellegent? If you're that sad and bored, why don't you go through the full archive of the forum and count how many spelling errors you can find, and check for grammar while you're at it. Actually, why don't you just trawl the full WWW looking for typos, it seems that is your calling in life.

It's actually endeAvour. :)

That is the aspect I find most annoying about Danny's time in charge (not the performance on the park). Many fans appear to be gullable and be appeased by his "open managerial approach." It's not possible to be transparent in the world of football management, everyone has a motive and anyone who says otherwise is lying. I would more often than not suggest his style is manipulative. Call me a cynic if you want, but that is the conclusion I have come to.

Nonsense.

In the final analysis, the St Mirren supporters only really care for St Mirren. If Gus had lead us to a CIS Cup winning victory, and a comfortable mid-table finish last season, do you genuinely believe that many people would have cared about the fact that he was a stubborn, arrogant little shite?

Similarly, if Danny Lennon takes us down with a whimper, all the positive PR and openess in the world won't endear him to the St Mirren support.

Tony Fitzpatrick is a thoroughly decent human being, and is regarded with great affection by most who are associated with SMFC, but I don't want him managing St Mirren again, and I think you'll find that a vast majority of Saints fans would share that position.

We're not as daft, naive, or suggestible as you make out [pause to wonder why I'm even responding to another CS wind-up :rolleyes: ]. Lennon's approach is refreshing, and makes a wee change. Sometimes a wee change can make a big impact, but his job is to take the club forward on the pitch. He should be given time, but it won't be his 'open managerial approach' that will be the critical factor in terms of his position at SMFC.

You're clutching at straws now, and should take a wee sabbatical :wink:

So, basically, the fans didn't like Gus because he didn't massage their egos?:blink:

Lennon's approach is refreshing, and makes a wee change.

What is "refreshing" about being bottom of the league, getting knocked out of the cup in the first round to lower league opposition, having our worst start to a season in 20 years, playing even more negative football than the previous manager, having a lack of scouting contacts and not playing any youth players?

What is "refreshing" about being bottom of the league, getting knocked out of the cup in the first round to lower league opposition, having our worst start to a season in 20 years, playing even more negative football than the previous manager, having a lack of scouting contacts and not playing any youth players?

Bottom of the league after 7 games. The league table should not be looked at until teams have played each other atleast once, maybe even twice.

Getting knocked out of the cup to Ross County away from home is no shame. Did you forget they went to the Scottish Cup Final last year beating Celtic and Hibs on the way?

I'd like to see your proof that this is the worst start to the season in 20 years, but its not about how the season starts, its more about how it ends, and the last few seasons with Gus as manager has meant the season ends with a poor run of form and scraping through survival.

The football is not more negative than the previous manager, we have only failed to score against Celtic this season.

The comment about scouting contacts is ridiculous. Gus MacPherson constantly signed players who were injury prone or players who were has beens and sometimes players who were both!

Another ridiculous comment about youth players. Atleast DL puts them on the bench, MacPherson's decision to only name 5 subs at times last season instead of putting youngsters on the bench was another example of him generally being a wee shite.

Bottom of the league after 7 games. The league table should not be looked at until teams have played each other atleast once, maybe even twice.

Getting knocked out of the cup to Ross County away from home is no shame. Did you forget they went to the Scottish Cup Final last year beating Celtic and Hibs on the way?

I'd like to see your proof that this is the worst start to the season in 20 years, but its not about how the season starts, its more about how it ends, and the last few seasons with Gus as manager has meant the season ends with a poor run of form and scraping through survival.

The football is not more negative than the previous manager, we have only failed to score against Celtic this season.

The comment about scouting contacts is ridiculous. Gus MacPherson constantly signed players who were injury prone or players who were has beens and sometimes players who were both!

Another ridiculous comment about youth players. Atleast DL puts them on the bench, MacPherson's decision to only name 5 subs at times last season instead of putting youngsters on the bench was another example of him generally being a wee shite.

Brilliant post Bud!

Bad luck and stupid individual error cost us on Saturday.

We were pish 1st half but played very well in the 2nd.

And at least we are scoring goals... ross county are a decent mob and as you say there is no shame in being put out by them!! Didnt the green biggots get played off the park by them at Hampden.

Being bottom of the league just now means nothing!!! If we are there in January then you can worry.

Nothing. Gus did exactly the same 2 seasons ago :P