Hector Nicol

Met the great man when I did a support slot at the Friershall gig. Did not recognize him earlier that day as he looked completely different from what he does when on stage. The stage is where this man came alive. Also did not know he was a St Mirren fan

Yeh my band backed him at many venues, St Brendan's, Blazes, a few bowling clubs and the like. He wrote a lot of the Pantomimes that did the rounds at that time. A lot of the club comedians basically ripped off his jokes, Dean Park, Andy Cameron etc. He dressed up as different charactors, the best of which was a big pro. Hillarious.

Jocky looks like Hector Nicol.I remember Jocky not giving the ball back at Cappielow as full time was approaching and we were winning.It was new years day and he was driving our bus that day and i remember thinking oor drivers feckin nuts.He has become a good friend of mine over the years and i very quickly realised he is truly bonkers.His brother in law John Muir has just arrived from Canada and is also Saints daft.He will be at the Hamilton game so heres hoping he can bring us some luck.He is a member on Black and White and reads the forums so welcome home John and Linda.Have a great holiday.

have to agree he is bonkers lol

Frankie Boyle is f**kin brilliant.

Stewart Lee, George Carlin and the late great Bill Hicks are my favourites though - in no particular order.

I'm going to see Stewart Lee on the 21st. His new book is also excellent...he deconstructs his deconstructive comedy. Utter genius.

• 2 years later...

Caught this thread a bit late but of interest to me because Hector Nicol was my late father's second cousin and my Gran was a Nicol. Anyway as others have mentioned his life was tainted by personal tragedy-my father did speak of Hector's son's murder on more than one occasion, I think he was stabbed to death by some lowlife at a bus stop? Other than that he wasn't spoken of much-possibly due to my rather "strait-laced" parents being a bit embarrassed by his stage act-and I never met him except when I was too young to remember anything. I do remember seeing some of his LP's in record shops though ("Hobo-sexual" rings a bell) and finally caught his act on a giant telly at the Cross Stobs in Borrheid when I was about 18 and was strangely proud he was an (admittedly very distant) relative as I laughed like a drain-though probably quite tame nowadays. Re SMFC I can't shed any light on this but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if he was a fan as my Grandfathers were big Saints fans and my mum took great delight in telling me every time I came through the door on a Saturday afternoon bemoaning how some crappy referee had robbed us again that she was well used to hearing it-espec after games against the evil Glasgow twosome-so some things don't change at least. Anyway not very illuminating I'm afraid but just caught my interest as a relative and Bud.

• 1 year later...

He died in the mid 80's I think. Disappointing that he never got the recognition he deserved. His funniness lasted a lifetime unlike that shitehoose Billy Connolly. Hector had real tragedy in his life with the random murder of his son by some dafty scumbag. Whereas that c*ck connolly invented his own imaginary tragedy through dodgy regression sessions with celebrity therapist Pamela Stevenson in a dire but successful attempt to sell shite self-help / overcoming life's tragedies nonsense.

Hector was indeed a comedy legend and far more important than Billy "windswept @rsehole" Connolly. dry.gif

Sid is missed lol.gif