Top Five Pubs.

Isle Of Bute Saint

Corner Bar - Lochwinnoch

My local within the village where trades men tend to drink so you get a good laugh and more often than not football is topic. Sandy the owner is a top man ex PE teacher.

The Anchor - Port Bannintyne

Charlie the owner makes this pub special. His patter brings tears to your eys. Cleans his pipes often so you get one of the best pints of Tennents anywhere. The throth is always sticking to the glass right to the bottom. Great coal fire in winter. Fantastic choice of malts.

Calums - Johnstone

Formerly Cones this has the best pub grub I have tasted in a long time. Bit by bit the owner has been spending money improving the place. Last time home there was good live music on a Saturday night so hopefully that is still running on my return.

Kilty Kilty - Paisley

Anytime I have been in this pub after games I have always enjoyed it. Always a good friendly bunch of punters when I have been in.

Bar Point - Paisley

Until us supporters get a bar at the stadium this is my bar of choice. Girls behind the bar are on the ball with quick service. Busy pub but I make my way through to where the pool tables are as you can always get a seat through there. Do you still get one drink half price with a season ticket.

You mean Port Bannatyne on Bute? Is that one with the "Russian Tavern" sign in the window?

The other side of the road from the Russian Tavrern Tom next to the cafe.

The Russian Tavern is bad. Very very expensive for so so food. The guy brought out a fillet of beef I orderd raw on a plate and told me it was from the shetlands and the cow was called daisy. No I am not kidding. Anyway it came back cooked covered in what looked like a jar of blackcurent jam had been poured over the top of the steak. It was terrible and at 24 pounds was a rip off.

The owner is Scottish with a Russian wife. He was high up in some London newspaper. Google the place and you will read great reviews from the London press. His mates. Dont go near it trust me it's crap.

The Victoria Hotel in Rothesay is great food in the bar if you are ever over. If you ever want to go over pm me as I have a nice place in Ardbeg. Free as I dont rent it out Tom , its home from home 2 bed rooms if you have kids.

Aw man, now if you only had a place in Dunoon :D I go to Rothesay to work one day a month (was there last Thursday) but it's a day trip whereas Dunoon is also once a month but its a 2 night overnighter.

Rothesay has a phenomenal number of pubs for such a wee town.

Your right about the pubs and it's really cheap to go out drinking probably because there are so many. But it's like stepping back in time which is fine for us oldes Tom :P

The Daughter turns 17 in Dec so will contact you near the time for driving lessons

The Three Judges ... Glasgow

The Clachnaharry ... Inverness

The Plough Inn ... Rosemarkie

The Old Malt Scoop... Lapford

The Oyster Bar ... Ellenabeich

Corner Bar - Lochwinnoch !!!!!!

My Late Ex-Father-in-Law Drank there i will never darken its doors even though he's been dead for years better to walk down to The Brown Bull

why? curiosity!

That puzzled me.

I go in there most times I'm in Paisley...

...tho I could say that about several hostelries. :rolleyes:

Craig Dhu seems fine... :unsure:

Waiting at the bar to be served, gentleman in front of me asks for 4 pints of lager, he is given 4 pints of Tennents. I ask the same member of staff for 2 pints of lager and receive 2 pints of Miller.

I asked for the Miller to be swapped for Tennents but was told that "Miller was their house lager", the staff were wearing Tennents Lager polo shirts.

I questioned why I was given Miller when the person served before was given Tennents when asking for the same thing.

The reply was "He's a regular and we knew what he meant."

They refused to swap them for Tennents.

It's the only pub in the west of Scotland I've been in where they have Tennent's Lager on tap and if you ask for a pint of lager you get given Miller.

Miller is obviously more profitable.

Not my favourite boozer.

Edited by davidg

Wait a minute LS I thought you didn't go to the pub that much, it now seems that you are a bit of a booze bag. laugh.gif

In 2010 I spent 8 months offshore. So yes you are right.

In 2010 I spent 8 months offshore. So yes you are right

When I lived in Glenburn that used to be my pub of choice.

That is shocking service you received you should have pushed more. Asked for a refund.

Like you I hate Miller it's like water and your right it is cheaper for landlords to buy

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

Waiting at the bar to be served, gentleman in front of me asks for 4 pints of lager, he is given 4 pints of Tennents. I ask the same member of staff for 2 pints of lager and receive 2 pints of Miller.

I asked for the Miller to be swapped for Tennents but was told that "Miller was their house lager", the staff were wearing Tennents Lager polo shirts.

I questioned why I was given Miller when the person served before was given Tennents when asking for the same thing.

It's the only pub in the west of Scotland I've been in where they have Tennent's Lager on tap and if you ask for a pint of lager you get given Miller.

Not my favourite boozer.

Not good, Miller is like water - not a fan at all!

And perhaps they should have said before pouring Miller is the house lager seen as they knew you weren't a regular.

Have to say that surprises me David. The Craig Dhu is now pretty much my local and I've never had anything other than exemplary service. The staff are almost always friendly and helpful.

That said, when I do drink lager, I tend to ask for a regular Tennent's rather than just "a lager" but that's because I can't stand that pishy Ice Cold stuff with the 8 inch head of foam on it.

I was in last night and saw that they've done away with their real ale taps though. That's a pisser. :angry:

Why when a good majority of Saints fans dont live in Paisley.

Most saints fans don't live in Paisley?! Are you sure about that? :blink:

Why when a good majority of Saints fans dont live in Paisley. Where are you staying again :rolleyes:

I am staying in a place where I can travel to my home town of Paisley and head out to any one of the best five pubs in my home town of Paisley. The town represented by the football club called St. Mirren, of which this is an unofficial website. Hence the reason I posted that you surely mean the Top Five Pubs in Paisley.

Rothesay has a phenomenal number of pubs for such a wee town.

Was in and out of Rothesay a lot this time last year whilst filming on a load of ships anchored on Loch Striven. The captain used to take us into shore the odd night on his launch for a few pints in The Black Bull and Golfers Bar... Magic !

Not my favourite boozer.

David, this whole problem could have been avoided if you followed Shull's lead and just took in your own lager to save paying excessive prices. Shull of course didn't even pay for the carryout, he would probably just see what the local down and out had sitting next to him and swipe that.

back on point the service was poor David, you were right to take yor custom to another establishment

Edited by ronaldo

Top 5 Paisley pubs

1: The Bull

2: Paddies

3: Harvies

4: The Wee Barrel

5: Arts Centre on a Friday night

Top 5 Pubs (the world)

1: Imperial Pub (Toronto)

2: The Squealin Pig (Muff Co, Donegal)

3: Barney's Beanery (Los Angeles)

4: The Crown (Stornoway, Lewis)