The Club Buy Out - 10000 Hours

A lot of tension in this thread. Some of it posters raising good points for RA & Co to capture and address at the meeting. Some of it posters having a go at Div for trying to pour cold water on way off the mark wild allegations. Some of it posters greeting their face aff and threatening to storm out off in the huff. Then there's animal - he's just a nob. :P

According to some this was never going to happen, RA would never get enough interest from the business community, RA would never be able to raise the required funding.....blah, blah, blah. That was a mile wild of the mark and yet the wild speculation about how we are going to get ripped off and it is all doomed to failure still rages on.

Have a wee bit of days for a few days. Then armed with the facts you have been craving for so long and with an open mind consider what is being done. If you still have reservations about the plans at that point then there will still be the opportunity to vent your bile as fast as your discontented fingers can manage. But why post your bile at this juncture - are you hoping to garner support for your own irrational perspective based on rumour and made up nonsense.

Park the agendas about attendances, etc, for a few days...along with conspiracy theories about the BoD. By all means ask questions - they will be welcomed as the BoD will appreciate an understanding of the concerns they need to address. However, leave out the accusations, the emotion and the general bawbaggery. Div certainly doesn't deserve it and as you will soon find out neither do the BoD.

The tone of some of the hysterical posts is really letting some ordinarily very good posters down badly. :P

Excellent post.

I'm not a shareholder, but if I was, I imagine I'd have my share certificate framed and up in the house somewhere - alongside my signed and framed Ian Harte shirt. Just out of interest, if you take out an individual membership in the CIC, what do you get as a 'share certificate' equivalent?

Maybe we could get T Shirts that simply say 'I'm a member' on the front, and 'I'm with Dick' on the back.

Hmm. Maybees aye, maybees naw. :P

but apart from that, what have the romans ever done for us?

:lol: Spot on......alright BoD boo boys, other than saving the club from Brealy, eradicating the debt, building a new stadium, providing a top notch training facility, opening up the club the fan involvement, returning us to the SPL not once but twice and this time keeping us there, delivering two trips to hampden on the trot, securing the long term future of the club and putting in place a plan that will return St Mirren to the heart of its community....what have the robbing thieving scamming BoD ever done for us. :P

:lol: Spot on......alright BoD boo boys, other than saving the club from Brealy, eradicating the debt, building a new stadium, providing a top notch training facility, opening up the club the fan involvement, returning us to the SPL not once but twice and this time keeping us there, delivering two trips to hampden on the trot, securing the long term future of the club and putting in place a plan that will return St Mirren to the heart of its community....what have the robbing thieving scamming BoD ever done for us. :P

They got Aaron and Kenny nice bikes.

They haven't budgeted for anything like that take up. Take a zero away and you are closer to the mark.

You should wait and deal in facts rather than just pub rumours Stu, although as a journalist I guess that might be asking a bit much :P

Div.If you dont have the time,how come you know so much about 10,000 hours.Stop wasting your time and build my company a decent website for fecks sake.Seriously i have looked into Bristol Rovers CIC and it would appear that the majority of shareholdings are held by 2 individuals.If 10,000 hours have targeted only 200 fans taking up the offer then they must surely be targetting business,s to take up the majority of the shareholdings.I invest in St Mirren by way of season ticket,merchandise,corporate hospitality and carrying out various repair jobs at the ground and Ralston.If i hear what i want to hear at the public meetings i may well invest in the Cic.I just dont understand the value of the 52% shareholding.If we were still at Love Street it would be zilch. :rolleyes:

Maybe raised expectations only to cruelly crush us , again and again and again with short termist penny wise pish fests dry.gif

Anyway I reserve the right to be sceptical and not shape up as a wannabee Budette Cheerleader when the hormones dictate.

In the context of the wider game, this is bit a pebble in the pond, but if as appears clear now that this CiC is the only way, then as a housekeeping exercise I hope it works out.

The one area of genuine optimism around all of this is the energy , enthusiasm and honesty that Fitzpatrick will bring to the table. I hope he raises the bar and gets some exuberance back. It has been clear (for a lot longer than the six months that SG alludes to ) that this club has stalled, has been in limbo, treading water at very best. The patience and core rump of the support are due some genuine and positive moves forward. That starts with some public clarity and commitments.

Thanks for the linkee.................

"This is a boutique football club up against two multi-national international brands.

"But no one sees Waitrose running scared of Sainsbury's. They view themselves differently, but both still sell beans".

aye, that's one view right enough smile.gif

"This is a boutique football club up against two multi-national international brands.

"But no one sees Waitrose running scared of Sainsbury's. They view themselves differently, but both still sell beans".

Code: FTOF.

Div.If you dont have the time,how come you know so much about 10,000 hours.Stop wasting your time and build my company a decent website for fecks sake.

I'd be happy to build you a new website Ian, that's what I do for a living these days, but I don't do it for free (although St.Mirren fans get discounts) :D

See http://www.bigfrontdoor.com for further details B)

Obviously uses the same PR guy as Danny Lennon.

Edited by Stu

Obviously uses the same PR guy as Danny Lennon.

The Old Firm are tins of beans, big tins of beans, jumbo buy one get one free tins of beans, and they make you fart. However, just because our tins of beans are wee boutique tins of beans, it disnae' mean we cannae' sell our tins of beans.... our tins of beans don't just make you fart, they really make you shite yourself.... especially if you eat them in the 90th minute.

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think tins of beans will be thrown into the ocean....

That was my suggestion. Surprised Richard knocked it back.

The reason it gets me is that it just assists others in debates that we are a diddy club with a diddy support.

By not accurately reporting the attendance figures (I am not suggesting the club are deliberating practising this) insults the fans who have made the effort to attend. There was a recent game (not the Aberdeen game, maybe the hibs game) where they filled their allocation and when you did the sums it looked like they would have had just as many fans as us.

but its been goin on for years,its only in the past couple of years that people have taken umbrage to it..i may be wrong here and im sure it will be pointed out to me by someone on here in a patronising manner..but surely if we say a wee white one about the attendance..its more dosh in our sky rockets..im sure every single club does this..or im probs talkin nonesense...and we will always be patronised and looked upon as a diddy club by everyone..other teams fans,the media et al..giveing the correct attendance to the letter wont change that one iota.

I have a fairly straight-forward question here .........

Having held some senior positions with some sizeable companies I decided to take the plunge and set-up my own company and something is not right here -

I have invested a lot of money in making my company work and will do absolutely everything in my power to ensure its success - I have to as I need to provide for my family and if it falters I am in some serious financial doo-doo but also because I care about it and want to see it continue to succeed.

The thing that this whole thing smacks of is who is going to actuallly care ?? The CiC is a vehicle as I see it for these guys to buy the club and for it to be run by 'the community' - who we would hope would be St. Mirren supporters so of course they/we will all care but 99.9% of the community will not have any real input on a day-to-day basis.

I havent read the various threads on this topic so dont know a helluva a lot about the man but if he is not investing a penny (so it doesnt hurt financially) does Mr. Atkinson care enough that if this all starts to go 'tits up' he will do absolutely everything in his power to ensure our future as unpalatable as some of these things are (as Mr. Gilmour has done for the past however many years) or will he merely think "Oh well that didnt work but it hasnt cost me anything - time to move on"

When I was first told about the CIC several months ago I thought it sounded like the way forward....however after reading Mr Atkinson`s coments in todays paper I have some major concern.

He states that he has never had an interest in St.Mirren, he will make no profit from this, he will not invest any of his own money...............sorry but what is the point???? possible ego boast?? <_<

Although it does sound very clever to become a board member and not invest a penny!!! Think I will try it :P

So if I get this right, the idea of the CIC is that they want a few hundred people to pay a membership fee to the club which then covers the finance that's needed to buy out the existing board of directors. Fair enough so far but what do the few hundred people get in return? I hope it's more than a say in what brand of strips the club will use, and admission prices.

I would have thought that if this was to be successful they would need to expand far out with the Paisley boundaries.

So if I get this right, the idea of the CIC is that they want a few hundred people to pay a membership fee to the club which then covers the finance that's needed to buy out the existing board of directors. Fair enough so far but what do the few hundred people get in return? I hope it's more than a say in what brand of strips the club will use, and admission prices.

I would have thought that if this was to be successful they would need to expand far out with the Paisley boundaries.

There will be some form of voting rights presumably. Whether that will be one-man-one-vote, or a representative on the Board who will vote on behalf of a discreet group is one question that should be asked.

Individual supporters will be asked to pay £10 a month for some form of (nominal?) say in how the club is run. I'm not convinced that this will appeal to many, but, then again, those who bought shares in the club were not really expecting much by way of a return.

I suspect there will be a core group who would be happy to invest a tenner a month in the club for the love of it, and on the basis that they will have some influence, however minor that might be. I can't say that I'll be one of them, though. I just want to go along on a Saturday afternoon and watch a decent football match, thanks all the same.

When I was first told about the CIC several months ago I thought it sounded like the way forward....however after reading Mr Atkinson`s coments in todays paper I have some major concern.

He states that he has never had an interest in St.Mirren, he will make no profit from this, he will not invest any of his own money...............sorry but what is the point???? possible ego boast?? <_<

Although it does sound very clever to become a board member and not invest a penny!!! Think I will try it :P

Richard is paying legal fees, not as cool or transparent as investment but it can't be said that he's not "doing his bit".

As for Stuart...

Of course the CIC will need to look outside Paisley's boundaries. Was the story only in the PDE? No, of course it wasn't.

Drew,

I've not heard anything about a setup other than 1 person 1 vote, obviously there'll be certain degrees of transparency for regular fans, shareholders, CIC members, CIC members on the club board and that's pretty much natural enough.

There will be some form of voting rights presumably. Whether that will be one-man-one-vote, or a representative on the Board who will vote on behalf of a discreet group is one question that should be asked.

Individual supporters will be asked to pay £10 a month for some form of (nominal?) say in how the club is run. I'm not convinced that this will appeal to many, but, then again, those who bought shares in the club were not really expecting much by way of a return.

I suspect there will be a core group who would be happy to invest a tenner a month in the club for the love of it, and on the basis that they will have some influence, however minor that might be. I can't say that I'll be one of them, though. I just want to go along on a Saturday afternoon and watch a decent football match, thanks all the same.

Everybody wants that. I'm not sure how you define 'minor influence' though. For what it's worth, my view is that voting in a General Election gives you 'minor influence' in that you vote for your political party of choice, then that's it. Voting Tory doesn't give you a hotline to David Cameron to tell him you're unhappy with Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, or anywhere else we're having a square go with our American chums.

If you choose to invest your hard-earned in a membership of the CIC who control 52% of the club, and therefore can drive and shape the policy of the club, I'd suggest it is more than 'minor'. SMiSA have been trying to get a real say in affairs since they were set up, buying shares wasn't getting it done, unless SMiSA won Euromillions and could make SG an offer he couldn't refuse.

Have a chat about it over a beer in the members and guests bar.

Edit: It's your round. :)

Edited by pozbaird

That's the thing though Drew, isn't it. It's not attractive enough. They may well get some people willing to part with £10 per month for a minor say in the running of the club but it hardly offers value for money in any way shape or form. I've said before they need to look at what they have and show how that can be of mutual financial benefit to groups within the community and to the club. Maybe Atkinson is alluding to it when he cites the example of the ladies football club he was helping out, but if that's the case surely the target group should be the committees at those clubs, rather than fans of the club.

Drew each to their own and I certainly would never condemn anyone who does not join.

As a St Mirren supporter I would like to see the club move forward and if contributing ten pounds a month is going to help in some small way then I am happy to do so. In all honesty I have no interest in how the club runs on a daily basis like everyone I am more interested on the on field activities.

Everybody wants that. I'm not sure how you define 'minor influence' though. For what it's worth, my view is that voting in a General Election gives you 'minor influence' in that you vote for your political party of choice, then that's it. Voting Tory doesn't give you a hotline to David Cameron to tell him you're unhappy with Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, or anywhere else we're having a square go with our American chums.

If you choose to invest your hard-earned in a membership of the CIC who control 52% of the club, and therefore can drive and shape the policy of the club, I'd suggest it is more than 'minor'. SMiSA have been trying to get a real say in affairs since they were set up, buying shares wasn't getting it done, unless SMiSA won Euromillions and could make SG an offer he couldn't refuse.

Have a chat about it over a beer in the members and guests bar.

Edit: It's your round. :)

I don't know how minor or otherwise the influence would be. This is one of the questions that I'd imagine will be among the first to be asked.

Where your analogy with general elections falls down, though, is that you are not required to pay for the entitlement to vote.