Church at SMP

Couldn't see this anywhere else!

Doesn't look like we'll be getting our supporters bar at the ground unfortunately!

My auntie goes to a church on stock street in Paisley and to my surprise has told me that as from May they will be holding they're services in our spare conference suit at SMP. This isn't rubber stamped as yet but the church members are going down to the stadium next week to have a look and meet the bod (Richard Atkinson I'm guessing).

Looks as if this has something to do with the cic to me.

Interesting....

A church?

A church at a football ground?

A church at St Mirren park?

FFS this CIC must be desperate for money.

We could have church on a sunday, scouts on a monday, BB's on a tues, devil worshipping on a wednesday, bingo on a thursday and hairdressing/basket weaving on a friday with Saturday usually booked for football!

Anyway I hope this "church" will become fully paid up members on the CIC at the £10,000 per annum.

Is it a happy clappy?

If so they could be recruited into the Supra's and give us a real soul filled version of "Oh when the Saints".

Ah yes, we could call them St Mirren's Cathedral !!! :lol::wink:

It seems some people see St Mirren as some sort of elitist organisation and have no desire to see the fan base rise. It's pretty sad the there is such a high level of intolerance within our support. Hardly a good foundation for a community club :(

Oops sorry, I thought this was a Burnistoun sketch... hmmm.... :wink:

It seems some people see St Mirren as some sort of elitist organisation and have no desire to see the fan base rise. It's pretty sad the there is such a high level of intolerance within our support. Hardly a good foundation for a community club :(

Actually a brilliant post.

What's the issue that people have?

Please explain to me, using sensible words and properly constructed arguments, why this a big deal...

I don't have a problem with any local inoffensive organization use our facilities. The up keep of a church building must be expensive so they win and we win. It's a win win win situation. To think the big man will look down on us every Sunday is quite appealing also.

Shit if we get a good rub of the green next season I might go along to the service myself :lol:

We are a community club lets not forget that :)

A church?

A church at a football ground?

A church at St Mirren park?

FFS this CIC must be desperate for money.

We could have church on a sunday, scouts on a monday, BB's on a tues, devil worshipping on a wednesday, bingo on a thursday and hairdressing/basket weaving on a friday with Saturday usually booked for football!

Anyway I hope this "church" will become fully paid up members on the CIC at the £10,000 per annum.

Wednesdays don't work for me.

Whether I agree with what any church (happy clappy or otherwise) does is irrelevant. Unless they are directly having a negative effect on other individual fans, I don't see what harm they are doing (anyone?). The same goes for any other organisation using our facilities.

Wednesdays don't work for me.

You see, that's what's wrong with deities nooadays! :angry:

People go to all that trouble believing in them, constructing the most arcane, abstruse and franky weird mental somersaults just to sustain that fragile scaffold of belief and YOU! You cannae make it on a wednesdays.

Small wonder the world's turning secular. :)

Guest TPAFKATS

Whether I agree with what any church (happy clappy or otherwise) does is irrelevant. Unless they are directly having a negative effect on other individual fans, I don't see what harm they are doing (anyone?). The same goes for any other organisation using our facilities.

6 points and 6 goals in 5 days - take a fecking chill pill :)

Actually a brilliant post.

What's the issue that people have?

Please explain to me, using sensible words and properly constructed arguments, why this a big deal...

It's not a big deal at all and a constructive use of the premises. As ever though, some folk fail to see the humour in the proposal... As a CIC, St Mirren Park becomes a community centre so why not ? If the local boy scouts, satanic group, masonic lodge or wannabee boy band want to use the 'back room' then let them. :wink:

It's completely negative and small-minded that people would think this is a bad or wrong move.

The whole idea behind the CiC model is that we increase the revenue of the club, one of the major strategies for this is to maximise the income from the stadium facilities. There really aren't any other businesses who would need conference facilities on a weekly basis, especially on a Sunday.

This equates to regular income, on a day and time when no-one else would use the place.

Try to put your religious prejudices aside and consider the good of the club and a local organisation. Also the opportunity to increase the fan base with members of the church and the kids that probably go. I can't see any negatives in this.

And I have no agenda, if it was the Renfrewshire gay and lesbian Subbuteo society or the Paisley muslim carpet bowls team, I couldn't care less. Regular income and potentially more fans... Everyone's a winner!

Guest TPAFKATS

It's completely negative and small-minded that people would think this is a bad or wrong move.

The whole idea behind the CiC model is that we increase the revenue of the club, one of the major strategies for this is to maximise the income from the stadium facilities. There really aren't any other businesses who would need conference facilities on a weekly basis, especially on a Sunday.

This equates to regular income, on a day and time when no-one else would use the place.

Try to put your religious prejudices aside and consider the good of the club and a local organisation. Also the opportunity to increase the fan base with members of the church and the kids that probably go. I can't see any negatives in this.

And I have no agenda, if it was the Renfrewshire gay and lesbian Subbuteo society or the Paisley muslim carpet bowls team, I couldn't care less. Regular income and potentially more fans... Everyone's a winner!

Dont see any posts so far where anyone states that they think that this is a bad or wrong move :unsure:

I always though that it was the job of the club executives and commercial dept to maximise the income from the stadium facilities :blink:

Dont see any posts so far where anyone states that they think that this is a bad or wrong move :unsure:

I always though that it was the job of the club executives and commercial dept to maximise the income from the stadium facilities :blink:

Some comments were very condescending at the thought of a religious group using the stadium. Some clearly stated that 'religion has no place in football', as if letting a church use the facilities suddenly makes St Mirren a catholic/protestant [delete as appropriate] team. Perhaps holding RAC conferences makes us royalists or all car enthusiasts...?!

You're right, it should be the job of those individuals to maximise the income... However, I think the figures are that the Falkirk stadium pulls in approximately four times the income per annum. And since this move has only come about due to the CiC involvement, all the more reason to have other people looking at this.