Church at SMP

Absolutely. The difference with us and religion in the Old Firm is that we don't favour any religion. The bigots do, and we should treat them just as any other community interest wishing to use our facilities. All are welcome. Except Nazis/old firm agendas. They are not.

Oops! Just gave u a wee red one! Honestly not meant! Sincere apologies!

Absolutely. The difference with us and religion in the Old Firm is that we don't favour any religion. The bigots do, and we should treat them just as any other community interest wishing to use our facilities. All are welcome. Except Nazis/old firm agendas. They are not.

Oops! Just gave u a wee red one! Honestly not meant! Sincere apologies!

I had a spare one going, so he can have mine :D

This is the most pathetic idea I have heard....must be a wind up!!!

Last thing we need is to be associated with a church or any type of religion. :angry:

You should be ashamed at yourself. Not only have you made yourself look like an idiot, but you have offended me and I'm sure you have offended more fellow buds with that comment.

You should be ashamed at yourself. Not only have you made yourself look like an idiot, but you have offended me and I'm sure you have offended more fellow buds with that comment.

Spot on, I think he's an idiot and I am also offended, well I would be if I was the sort who got offended by the inane and worthless opinions of the bigoted, ignorant minority...

:lol:

I could make the Wednesday, Mr Panda is right up for the Friday afternoon. :rolleyes:

Are season tickets valid? :wink:

Not only are Season Ticket's valid, if you take your Season Ticket Smart Card with you, you can bring a Friend too for free :rolleyes:.

Edited because I got carried away and someone thought it funny to be a clever bugger :P!!!!

Edited by Tracy Barlow Loyal

Not only are Season Ticket's valid, if you take a ticket out of your Season Ticket Book and hand it in, you can bring a Friend too :rolleyes:.

And if you can manage to take a ticket out of your 'book' Shull will give you a tenner :blink:

I know this may sound a bit "deep" and "serious" for an Internet Forum, but I have to ask something that's been on my mind ever since I started getting taken to see St. Mirren as a young lad.

What is the deal with St. Mirren supporters and Religion?

I myself went to Catholic Schools as I am from a Family with a Catholic background. My Parents would never have encouraged me to follow C*ltIc, mainly because they don't like the whole thing that comes with being a C*lt*c fan and the Old Firm nonsense and because my Dad was born and bred in Paisley and St. Mirren were the Team he had grown up going to see. I used to get called stupid stuff like "Closet ***", "D.O.B." etc. but over the years I have found myself in conversation with fellow St. Mirren fans who ask what I call "Old Firm type paranoia questions" - i.e. "What School did you go to?" That to me instantly speaks volumes about the person or persons asking it.

I'm not asking this to cause trouble; I am a genuine St. Mirren fan and would never support anyone else. If Saints ever went burst (but they won't now, hopefully) I'd not bother watching or following Scottish Football whatsoever as my heart just wouldn't be in it.

I also remember sitting on a cold, rainy Saturday at Broadwood watching us play Clyde and Eddie Malone played for Clyde in those days and some imbecile called him a “F*n*an B@st@®d”. I can’t stand either half of the Old Firm myself even though I have a couple of Cousins who support C*lt*c, but I think some folks should remember that just because you don’t follow one of the Old Firm doesn’t mean you don’t have strong religious or political views.

I’m not particularly Religious myself, but I do respect other folks right to be, as long as they’re not trying to convert me or shoving it down my throat and banging on about how they are right and I’m wrong.

Sorry if I upset anyone, just wondered what folk thought.

Edited by Tracy Barlow Loyal

I know this may sound a bit "deep" and "serious" for an Internet Forum, but I have to ask something that's been on my mind ever since I started getting taken to see St. Mirren as a young lad.

I myself went to Catholic Schools as I am from a Family with a Catholic background. My Parents would never have encouraged me to follow C*ltIc, mainly because they don't like the whole thing that comes with being a C*lt*c fan and the Old Firm nonsense and because my Dad was born and bred in Paisley and St. Mirren were the Team he had grown up going to see. I used to get called stupid stuff like "Closet ***", "D.O.B." etc. but over the years I have found myself in conversation with fellow St. Mirren fans who ask what I call "Old Firm type paranoia questions" - i.e. "What School did you go to?" That to me instantly speaks volumes about the person or persons asking it.

I'm not asking this to cause trouble; I am a genuine St. Mirren fan and would never support anyone else. If Saints ever went burst (but they won't now, hopefully) I'd not bother watching or following Scottish Football whatsoever as my heart just wouldn't be in it.

I also remember sitting on a cold, rainy Saturday at Broadwood watching us play Clyde and Eddie Malone played for Clyde in those days and some imbecile called him a “F*n*an B@st@®d”. I can’t stand either half of the Old Firm myself even though I have a couple of Cousins who support C*lt*c, but I think some folks should remember that just because you don’t follow one of the Old Firm doesn’t mean you don’t have strong religious or political views.

I’m not particularly Religious myself, but I do respect other folks right to be, as long as they’re not trying to convert me or shoving it down my throat and banging on about how they are right and I’m wrong.

Religion has nothing at all to do with football and precious little to do with anything else.

I'm a Protestant, my best mate of 35 years standing is Catholic. We met as teenagers on the Junior Supporters Bus out of Bridge Street. We've been best mates since sitting beside each other one day on the bus.

The deal with St Mirren and religion is that there isn't one.

I'm a Protestant, my best mate of 35 years standing is Catholic. We met as teenagers on the Junior Supporters Bus out of Bridge Street. We've been best mates since sitting beside each other one day on the bus.

The deal with St Mirren and religion is that there isn't one.

Thanks Pozbaird, and for what its worth I think that's cool with you and your mate. I used to have a good Protestant mate who'd been in the BB and stuff but we used to have great times, even if some folk in my School thought I was an a*se for hanging about with him.

Thanks for answering without abuse or sarcasm.

But you still felt the need to prattle on about it in a football forum.

I think the point TBL was making is that when the odd St Mirren fan shouts "h*n/fe***n/t*m/orange bas...." aimed at old firm supporters (unfortunately it does happen) they could just as easily be offending the person sitting in the seat next to them. It shows a lack of respect for others and does nothing for the reputation of our club.

Edited by civilsaint

I think the point TBL was making is that when the odd St Mirren fan shouts "h*n/fe***n/t*m/orange bas...." aimed at old firm supporters (unfortunately it does happen) they could just as easily be offending the person sitting in the seat next to them. It shows a lack of respect for others and does nothing for the reputation of our club.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to put across...obviously I never quite managed it!!! :lol:

I'm glad someone understood what I was on about - have a green dot, Sir!!!

Morons always asked me if St Mirren were a Catholic or "Proddy" team. Did my tits in, had to tell them that we are neither, and along with every other team in Scotland bar the old scum, we pride ourselves on being FOOTBALL clubs. Then comes the response: "Aye but they've got 'saint' infront of their name..."

I've heard nothing implying whether we are one or the other. We aren't. The only religion is St Mirren. :)

I've heard nothing implying whether we are one or the other. We aren't. The only religion is St Mirren. :)

I understand your sentiment and quite agree, but that's not totally accurate. We are ALL religions / beliefs / outlooks / genders / sexualities........... There should be no prejudice within SMFC. A true community club is what we should be aiming for.

My Dad was a Ce**ic supporter all his days, but took me to Love Street in 1946, just after the war, because he didn't want me growing up to be a bigot. Too many bottles got thrown at OF games in these days towards opposing fans and he knew that Saints don't have that stigma. An aside to this was recently I arrived at GHR for a game and the OF had been playing, with Ce**ic winning, and 2 U19's were under the West stand selling programmes, and I said that I hoped we would win, but one of them answered he was on a downer because Ra***rs were beaten. I told him there was only one religion following Saints, and that is Saint Mirren. He walked away muttering