Church at SMP

Saddened to read so many posts going on about child abuse, brain washing and religion causes all wars. Despite all that has gone wrong within the Catholic church you or your kids are more likely to be abused by a member of the public than by a Catholic priest. Why don't we blame the politicians of all political colours who have declared umpteen wars in the last few decades when one of the main bodies which spoke out against he majority of these wars being declared was "the church"? You'd do well to find any recent wars where the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland or its Moderator, or the Archbishop of Cantebury or the Pope or any RC Cardinals have cheered on Tory or Labour governments declaring war on Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

Despite all that has gone wrong within the Catholic church you or your kids are more likely to be abused by a member of the public than by a Catholic priest.

Hmm...

I'd suggest you go away and have another wee think about this.

That's me telt

Yeah, my soul shrivelleth as a day old cucumber salad in the noontide sun.

Fuxake, McB. :rolleyes:

It's not always ALL about you...

Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them; While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:

In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened, And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;

Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the green tree in Gedde shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:

Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: Cappielow might have a decent stadium and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.

I hope this helps? :)

Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them; While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:

In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened, And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;

Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the green tree in Gedde shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:

Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: Cappielow might have a decent stadium and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Fxsakes, is there nae bus's needing driving the day? :P

Edited by faraway saint

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Life Church had their latest meeting on Sunday. The sermon was titled 'What would happen if Jesus came to Paisley tomorrow?'

The conclusion was 'He'd play in the reserves until Hasselbaink got injured'.

Had to be done. Couldnae' resist!

Apart from the Cappielow bit i reckon i know where you heard or maybe even said the above words of scripture. :wink:

• 1 year later...

It seems some people see St Mirren as some sort of elitist organisation and have no desire to see the fan base rise. It's pretty sad the there is such a high level of intolerance within our support. Hardly a good foundation for a community club sad.gif

Well said Civil Saint.

Actually a brilliant post.

What's the issue that people have?

Please explain to me, using sensible words and properly constructed arguments, why this a big deal...

I don't have a problem with any local inoffensive organization use our facilities. The up keep of a church building must be expensive so they win and we win. It's a win win win situation. To think the big man will look down on us every Sunday is quite appealing also.

Shit if we get a good rub of the green next season I might go along to the service myself laugh.gif

We are a community club lets not forget that smile.gif

Well said boys.

You should be ashamed at yourself. Not only have you made yourself look like an idiot, but you have offended me and I'm sure you have offended more fellow buds with that comment.

Spot on, I think he's an idiot and I am also offended, well I would be if I was the sort who got offended by the inane and worthless opinions of the bigoted, ignorant minority...

laugh.gif

These two posts sum up what I've read so far...

That would make them h*n/fe***n/t*m/orange bastards.

As opposed to St. Mirren fans, who are not h*n/fe***n/t*m/orange bastards, irrespective of whatever sect of christianity they may choose to follow and therefore wouldnt be offended.

Nutter.

Some very odd views on this thread. St Mirren is already a very broad church. The beauty of St Mirren is that we don;t really care what somebody choses to get up to outwith football or if they opt to bless themselves going on the pitch like John Potter - not that it is working for him. tongue.gif

We have the lunatic oirish republican types exiled in Dublin, we have Bluto and his blatant anti-Muslim EDL nonsense, 2Becks and his OTT reaction to getting kiddyfiddled by the clergy in his youth. All pretty extreme viewpoints, but they are St Mirren supporters and all they care about is St Mirren - they would never utilise St Mirren as a vehicle / brand for their extreme agendas and would certainly be called on if they attempted it.

I am delighted that a church will be holding ceremonies in the stadium facilities. For me this is another positive for St Mirren. The media will of course put their scumbag spin on it. That says more about their agenda, just as anyone having a go at this only let's themself down.

What if someone wants to have their wedding reception at the clubs new supporters bar / function suite? If they were married at a church would the member of the clergy performing the ceremony be barred from attending the reception? Should we ban priests and ministers or imams from attending St Mirren games. Should we set about them if they are caught wearing a St Mirren scarf.

I like St Mirren's tolerance - one of the best things about it, and why it is such a great community club. I would be proud to bring anyone to St Mirren park no matter what cultural background they have and I would be confident that they would be made very welcome.

This has cleared a lot up for me. The paragraphs in bold are very good points indeed.

Just as not all Christians (Roman Catholic or Protestant) are bigots, neither are all Atheist. They are happy believing what they believe and, when given the chance, will respectfully put their point of view across. But others, like You Bluto, are bigoted. They (you) spout derisive, maligning, negative, scaremongering, ill-informed misinformation in a mocking and condescending tone and try to so in the name of rational or religious or atheistic superiority. It is sickening to read and smacks of hypocrisy. Thankfully most people, religious or atheist aren't like you and don't spout as repulsive and ignorant bile as you do.

Live and let live, buddy smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Indeed.

Twenty-two years ago today, 96 People died under terrible and tragic circumstances. This afternoon, I watched some of the Memorial Service live on Television from Anfield. I am not a Supporter of Liverpool Football Club. I do not claim to know the complete “ins” and “outs” of 15th April, 1989. I also do not “take sides” regarding who is to blame or not to blame. I do however take great interest in this day every year and the Memorial Service which takes place and the fact that various Churches within the Liverpool and Merseyside area are represented at this Service. They all gather as one. They pray as one. They respect and console one another. The arm of friendship is extended to one another regardless of whether the person next to them is a Roman Catholic, a Protestant, a member of a Gospel Church (sorry I’m not sure what such a person is called, but I’m sure some knowledgeable person such as Bluto will stand me corrected) or are associated with any other Church. That is a society I would like to live within.

Hear, hear. notworthy.gifclap2.gif

Dude seriously what are you doing?

Why are you resurrecting something which has been dead for 18 months?

It looks like Holy Tony's on a mission (pun intended) to drag religion into St Mirren supporting and turn Buddie against Buddie.

It/he should be stamped on by the Mods. :angry: