Church at SMP

Quite.

Considering the debate that this proposal has stirred up then is it fair to say that having this religious group at St Mirren park is just too controversial and as such should not be allowed to happen?

Um... No! :D

Considering the debate that this proposal has stirred up then is it fair to say that having this religious group at St Mirren park is just too controversial and as such should not be allowed to happen?

Not at all.

I'm all for having just about ANY group help fund St Mirren and use a community facility or space. At no point have I intimated otherwise.

At the start of the thread, I did find it surprising that a Stock Street 'flock' would want to spend their funds on having meeting at Ghr, that's all... :unsure:

I happen to strangely believe that religion has some practical use... such as in the area of social control, obviously. Hinduism helping the majority of the population of India accept their often dreadful place in life and within the caste system helps keeps the lid on that society. Like with christianity during the Industrial Revolution, people whose llives are shite can look forward to a happy place in the after-life or next incarnation...

And If religious institutions were a wee bit more successful in brainwashing people into being kind to one another then I couldn't fault that.

The BB helped keep me (mostly) on the straight and narrow when I was battering through the teenage years and pubescent madness that ktf is currently trying to deal with. :rolleyes:

A debate on religion and the concept of a god doesn't need to obscure the fact that good people do believe in things I don't and that religious groups can be a force for good.

As ktf points out, debate can be healthy fun. :)

Not at all.

I'm all for having just about ANY group help fund St Mirren and use a community facility or space. At no point have I intimated otherwise.

At the start of the thread, I did find it surprising that a Stock Street 'flock' would want to spend their funds on having meeting at Ghr, that's all... :unsure:

I happen to strangely believe that religion has some practical use... such as in the area of social control, obviously. Hinduism helping the majority of the population of India accept their often dreadful place in life and within the caste system helps keeps the lid on that society. Like with christianity during the Industrial Revolution, people whose llives are shite can look forward to a happy place in the after-life or next incarnation...

And If religious institutions were a wee bit more successful in brainwashing people into being kind to one another then I couldn't fault that.

The BB helped keep me (mostly) on the straight and narrow when I was battering through the teenage years and pubescent madness that ktf is currently trying to deal with. :rolleyes:

A debate on religion and the concept of a god doesn't need to obscure the fact that good people do believe in things I don't and that religious groups can be a force for good.As ktf points out, debate can be healthy fun. :)

Contrary to popular opinion, I agree.

I just have an issue with us allowing a religious group having an connection with a football club.

People are impressionable after all.

Contrary to popular opinion, I agree.

I just have an issue with us allowing a religious group having an connection with a football club.

People are impressionable after all.

Not that impressionable mind you. You know anyone who bought anything from CETCO for example? Who the fcuk were CETCO anyway? Aye, so, the point being, just because something is associated with St Mirren, doesn't mean anyone will suddenly want a piece of it. I mean, I like the kid Aaron Mooy, but I'm not going out to buy one of his exercise bikes.

I rest my case.

Not that impressionable mind you. You know anyone who bought anything from CETCO for example? Who the fcuk were CETCO anyway? Aye, so, the point being, just because something is associated with St Mirren, doesn't mean anyone will suddenly want a piece of it. I mean, I like the kid Aaron Mooy, but I'm not going out to buy one of his exercise bikes.

I rest my case.

Cetco are a company who pump sewage in Malaysia. The CEO at the time was an exiled buddie.

I like the Mooy excercise bike analogy, very good!

However afaik Aaron Mooy does not perch himself upon that bike whilst trying to convince kids in the main stand that the world is only 6000 yrs old, hell is a bad place and the big man is always watching you, even when you play with yourself! Ive never been that close to Aaron Mooy whislt he is on his bike so I may be wrong!

:lol:

You're on fire!

Or mibbe should be.... :unsure:

He'll be fine, I'm praying for his mortal soul. Yours too Bluto. jimdickloyal, on the other hand, is in deep sheeite :P

ETS: note to self, "stop quoting on iPhone"

Edited by ktf

However afaik Aaron Mooy does not perch himself upon that bike whilst trying to convince kids in the main stand that the world is only 6000 yrs old, hell is a bad place and the big man is always watching you, even when you play with yourself! Ive never been that close to Aaron Mooy whislt he is on his bike so I may be wrong!

You've just explained yourself why the identy and beliefs of any group using the facility are irrelevant. Unless you are involved in said group, you will be nowhere near their meetings. Unless you ar present at said church's meeting you won't know what they are preaching, just as if you weren't there when the RAC were using the facility, you won't know what brand of motor oil they use.

You're argument is getting worse, hanging on by a thread now.

You've just explained yourself why the identy and beliefs of any group using the facility are irrelevant. Unless you are involved in said group, you will be nowhere near their meetings. Unless you ar present at said church's meeting you won't know what they are preaching, just as if you weren't there when the RAC were using the facility, you won't know what brand of motor oil they use.

Aaaaahhh, thread.

THAT used to be a big community thing... :(

Twenty-two years ago today, 96 People died under terrible and tragic circumstances. This afternoon, I watched some of the Memorial Service live on Television from Anfield. I am not a Supporter of Liverpool Football Club. I do not claim to know the complete “ins” and “outs” of 15th April, 1989. I also do not “take sides” regarding who is to blame or not to blame. I do however take great interest in this day every year and the Memorial Service which takes place and the fact that various Churches within the Liverpool and Merseyside area are represented at this Service. They all gather as one. They pray as one. They respect and console one another. The arm of friendship is extended to one another regardless of whether the person next to them is a Roman Catholic, a Protestant, a member of a Gospel Church (sorry I’m not sure what such a person is called, but I’m sure some knowledgeable person such as Bluto will stand me corrected) or are associated with any other Church. That is a society I would like to live within.

I'm all for having just about ANY group (apart from muslims) help fund St Mirren and use a community facility or space.

Sorted your age related memory lapse for you - wouldn't want you getting drummed out the EDL. :P

Edited by St. Sid

No it is not, stop moving the goal posts to suit your agenda,

The RAC are not religious......just as jaffa cakes do not contain meat.

Please do not ruin a decent debate with such stupidity as it detracts from the adult conversation.

Bluto: get stuck in, "identy" and "ar" for starters.

Edited by jimdickloyal

No it is not, stop moving the goal posts to suit your agenda,

The RAC are not religious......just as jaffa cakes do not contain meat.

Please do not ruin a decent debate with such stupidity as it detracts from the adult conversation.

I haven't moved any goal posts, and there is no evidence to suggest I have. Stop trying to muddy the waters to detract from your failings.

Whether an organisation is religious or not is irrelenvant, the facts remain the same. Only people who are present at any organisation's meetings will have to listen to their "teachings." Unless St Mirren fans make an informed choice to attend any event, they will have no interaction with any other organisation.

Intolerant behaviour only serves one purpose, to alienate potential fans from our good football club. As I've said previously, sections of our support do not appear to want the fan base to increase, they would rather we were an elitist club of a specific demographic.

Edited by civilsaint

I haven't moved any goal posts, and there is no evidence to suggest I have. Stop trying to muddy the waters to detract from your failings.

Whether an organisation is religious or not is irrelenvant, the facts remain the same. Only people who are present at any organisation's meetings will have to listen to their "teachings." Unless St Mirren fans make an informed choice to attend any event, they will have no interaction with any other organisation.

Intolerant behaviour only serves one purpose, to alienate potential fans from our good football club. As I've said previously, sections of our support do not appear to want the fan base to increase, they would rather we were an elitist club of a specific demographic.

The moral indignance of some of the posts in this thread are quite funny, especially as they are all coming from the anti-religious brigade. :lol: Some are against having genuine church goers use a facility yet the club has been hosting hoards of openly sectarian scumbags in both the away end and even giving up sections of the St Mirren stands to host them.

I am extremely curious as to how we can become one town, one team if we are going to openly alienate significant sections of the community.

Once again you are drivelling pish.

Being rude does not make your rantings any more plausible. I do not want religion near my football club because I think religion is both ignorant and dangerous.

The "fan base" angle is just nonsense.