The Club Hangs In The Balance?

Guest somner9

Guest somner9

the responsibility as to what road the club takes now seemingly falls on the shoulders of potential individual members of the CiC. with that also falls the responsibility of success (however you measure it) and failure (which we reckon we are all experts in defining).

excuse my use of dramatic example but i see the current situation as one of the 10000 hours people (non saints fans) convincing the BoD (which for £2m in the backpocket won't be hard), Corporate investors, community group, and individuals to RUN with us, as fast as you can!

The Beginning

come on faster, faster yes ask questions but we can't give you all the detail, we can't afford to stop or slow down we need to move now, quickly!

come on sign. pledge, fill in your DD, faster,quickly, lets go...... look we're here everybody ready? when we get to that big cliff top and i shout we all JUMP together!

but what are we jumping for? where will it take us? what are the risks?

the risks are not really yours, there the "Others" risks, just jump when we shout

but what are the benefits, what's on the other side?

look just imagine what it'll be like if you don't jump now? all those rogues that are just waiting to take you over! it's effin magic over the other side just jump and we'll explain everything else when we get there....

we loved the excitement, no one ever gave us this attention, or lets us become involved before so we ran, we ran as fast as we could, it was exciting, new and we thought if we don't jump now we never would!

so we ran, he shouted and we jumped!!!

flying through the air it felt magical, i looked back to see how everyone was enjoying it. some had stopped at the clifftop and hadn't jumped, i couldn't understand why?

as we flew over the VOID! a few produced parachutes they had hidden and "Bailed Out" half way across, no one told me about the parachutes!

several more fell off, some without parachutes simply fell as they stopped believeing, but we didn't our belief was complete.

then through the mists we saw it! the other side it looked great, sunshine, blue skies, full stadia, multiple wedding functions..... just magic

as we got ever closer we encountered turbulence, we didn't get all the fuel we were mean't to we were running out of power, just a bit further please a bit more time, help us.......!

if we don't make it everything will fall and be destroyed, club, community etc.... and it seems the pilots and crew have an escape pod, damn they didn't remind us about that!

did we make it? did we land safely? was it all good on the other side????

"you decide your own ending, because if you run and jump when the shout comes, it will indeed be down to you" :D

Why do people keep using these ridiculous posting styles when talking about the pitfalls of the CIC :unsure::blink:

The selling consortium have decided to sell up, they want out of the club.

There is only one bid for the club to date which has been accepted by the selling consortium.

Thus the decision to sell lies with THEM, and only them.

The fans do however have it in their power to stop this proceeding if they wish. By refusing to show any interest and not signing up to the CIC the fans get the choice to veto the bid.

What then if that happens ?

We plough on with the selling consortium wanting out and nobody wanting to buy. The status quo. Fair enough it is not exactly a bad scenario.

So if you are against the CIC happening, let's hear WHY. Do your homework and give GOOD reasons. If you can persuade the supporters this is a bad thing, then the supporters can stop it.

Posts like the one above, or the similar nonsense from Yule Brynner, or the aggressive and patronising approach from Animal are not the way to do it.

Like all options that are available to the club, the CiC does have some shortfalls and some potential pitfalls.

But the facts are

1. The Consortium want to sell their shares in the club

2. To date they have not received what they believe is a fair and reasonable offer.

3. The CiC are offering them what they want.

4. The CiC will be a business in its own rights.

5. The CiC will own a majority shareholding in the club

6. The club is not the CiC. The CiC is not the club

7. Giving money to the CiC does not go to the Club

8. The CiC cannot give direct funds to the club.

The success of the CiC is dependent initially on the fans of the club supporting it financially. But hopefully it will be set up in a manner to be run on a not for profit basis. Ie money it makes will be ploughed back in to the CiC

Where the club benefit is that the CiC will be using their facilities and will pay for the use of those facilities.

So in summary

If we as fans embrace the CiC, then the CiC can be a success. If the CiC is a success then the Club will benefit from increased use of the facilities, link to larger untapped fan base, better links with the community.

I like all fans are scared of this and todate I have not signed up. I have my concerns about the CiC the interface with the running of the club etc. However what are the alternatives.

Wait for the man on the white horse to appear on the horizon with his big bag of gold with Rooney, Messi and Nani in his Posse. What that brings is another year or ten with the club being run in limbo with no direction.

What would be good is for the fans to raise those concerns and for them to be answered. The problem I see with some of the posts is that they are bringing it all back to a personal level with individuals and not at a business level.

The club is for sale and we can help an organisation purchase our club and in turn help others.

Edited by Gruffalo

Another issue about this is that fans demanded action, they then get action and apparently it's too quick. If this goes through members will need to move at a moments notice, should we get the sort of voting capabilities that this really merits.

Just another example of Saints fans and the ask/get/complain behaviours we see online.

Look if Dodgy Dan the Demolition Man put a deal on the table to buy the shares for £5m and the consortium sold out. A year later he closed the club and turned the ground in to a donkey derby stand. We the fan could do nothing about this.

The CiC is not being sold as the saviour of the Club. In some respect it is an experiment.

Whats the worst that could happen. The CiC fails and goes in to administrations. The shares are then sold to an individual who the fans don’t know. Its no different to the club being sold to that person right now. (The CiC is the only show in town, there is no plan B)

The CiC will only fail if the fans let it fail.

No disrespect to the current Board. But I do not want another year like last year for our club. We lack direction, initiative and vision and are currently not progressing as a club. The CiC will certainly bring new blood and new ideas.

I have a concern that the guys involved are not St Mirren or “football” guys. But looking at the state of Scottish Football as a whole which is run by “football” guys then that is maybe not real concern.

Look if Dodgy Dan the Demolition Man put a deal on the table to buy the shares for £5m and the consortium sold out. A year later he closed the club and turned the ground in to a donkey derby stand. We the fan could do nothing about this.

The CiC is not being sold as the saviour of the Club. In some respect it is an experiment.

Whats the worst that could happen. The CiC fails and goes in to administrations. The shares are then sold to an individual who the fans don’t know. Its no different to the club being sold to that person right now. (The CiC is the only show in town, there is no plan B)

No disrespect to the current Board. But I do not want another year like last year for our club. We lack direction, initiative and vision and are currently not progressing as a club. The CiC will certainly bring new blood and new ideas.

I have a concern that the guys involved are not St Mirren or “football” guys. But looking at the state of Scottish Football as a whole which is run by “football” guys then that is maybe not real concern.

I like this post Gruffalo, you have summed up the situation very nicely. If all possible scenarios for St Mirren's future could be laid out in a flow chart I think many more people would arrive at the same concusion that you have.

Please have a green plus thing, the first one I've ever awarded.

Green dot from me too. It's not without flaws, it's untried at this level, and it is indeed an experiment. My overwhelming view is that all I'm being asked to do is to contribute the equivalent of £2.30 a week. I'm well up for utilising any hauf' decent skills I may have to offer, and to give it a fair go. The people behind the plan have asked us to put our trust in them, and to demonstrate that 'the community is interested'.

I think we're doing that. I'm sure they won't let us down in regard to them really working their socks off to repay that trust and to make it succeed.

Great post.

It's time there was less obtuse drivel posted on this subject.

Guest somner9

Why do people keep using these ridiculous posting styles when talking about the pitfalls of the CIC :unsure::blink:

The selling consortium have decided to sell up, they want out of the club.

There is only one bid for the club to date which has been accepted by the selling consortium.

Thus the decision to sell lies with THEM, and only them.

The fans do however have it in their power to stop this proceeding if they wish. By refusing to show any interest and not signing up to the CIC the fans get the choice to veto the bid.

What then if that happens ?

We plough on with the selling consortium wanting out and nobody wanting to buy. The status quo. Fair enough it is not exactly a bad scenario.

So if you are against the CIC happening, let's hear WHY. Do your homework and give GOOD reasons. If you can persuade the supporters this is a bad thing, then the supporters can stop it.

Posts like the one above, or the similar nonsense from Yule Brynner, or the aggressive and patronising approach from Animal are not the way to do it.

so which posts are acceptable? the personal insults as can be read on responses here, the "Emperor's New Clothes" type posts where it's suggested if you can't see how good it looks you must be daft! ??? seems perhaps we don't even have humour as an ally if you don't agree with proposal

Whats the worst that could happen. The CiC fails and goes in to administrations. The shares are then sold to an individual who the fans don't know. Its no different to the club being sold to that person right now. (The CiC is the only show in town, there is no plan B)

I have a concern that the guys involved are not St Mirren or "football" guys. But looking at the state of Scottish Football as a whole which is run by "football" guys then that is maybe not real concern.

Sums up my feelings too.

Have another green dot.

Guest somner9

Whats in a name? FYI

Quote: 10,000 hours

It's not surprising that Malcolm Gladwell's new book has made a splash. All his thought-provoking writing does and deserves to.

The argument of Outliers:

* Where you're born and when you're born have an enormous amount to do with whether or not you're successful.

* Becoming a superstar takes about 10,000 hours of hard work.

* Both of the bullet points above are far more important than the magical talent myth.

Bill Gates, the Beatles, Beethoven, Bill Joy, Tiger Woods--do the math, 10,000 hours of work.

In some ways, this is a restatement of the Dip. Being the best in the world brings extraordinary benefits, but it's not easy to get there.

For me, though, some of the 10k analysis doesn't hold up. The Doors (or Devo or the Bee Gees) for example, didn't play together for 10,000 hours before they invented a new kind of rock*. If the Doors had encountered significantly more competition for their brand of music, it's not clear that they could have gotten away with succeeding as quickly as they did. Hey, Miley Cyrus wasn't even 10,000 hours awake before she became a hit.

Doc Searls and Scoble didn't blog for 10,000 hours before they became the best, most important bloggers in the world. Molly Katzen didn't work on her recipes for 10,000 hours before she wrote the Moosewood Cookbook either.

*(There were bar bands in Buffalo, where I grew up, that put in far more than 10,000 playing mediocre music... didn't help. Hard work may be necessary, but not sufficient).

Here's my take on it:

You win when you become the best in the world, however 'best' and 'world' are defined by your market. In many mature markets, it takes 10,000 hours of preparation to win because most people give up after 5,000 hours. That's the only magic thing about 10k... it's a hard number to reach, so most people bail.

Yo Yo Ma isn't perfect... he's just better than everyone else. He pushed through the Dip that others chose not to. I'm guessing that there are endeavors (like being CEO of a Fortune 500 company or partner at a big law firm) where the rewards are so huge that the number is closer to 20,000 hours or more to get through the Dip.

But, ready for this? The Dip is much closer in niche areas, new areas, unexplored areas. You can get through the Dip in an online network or with a new kind of music because being seen as the best in that area is easier (at least for now). You can get through the Dip as a real estate broker in a new, growing town a lot quicker than someone in midtown Manhattan. The competition is thinner and probably less motivated.

Yes, it matters where and when you were born. It matters that you get lucky. And it matters most of all that you saw the Dip, realized how far away it was and chose to push through it.

Email this • Subscribe to this feed • Share on Facebook

Posted by Seth Godin on December 29, 2008 | Permalink

While I completely agree with your opinion, I think you should also have mentioned that there have been similar numbers of aggressive and patronising posts in support of the CIC.

I think as the proposed CIC acquisition of the majority shareholding is such an important moment, which may define the future of the club, that it is best to allow as open a debate as possible.

And that posts pointing out perceived weaknesses of the CIC should be welcomed and discussed as much as posts pointing out it's strength.

I think everybody, including the 10000Hours CIC, will be best served by allowing the forum to be used for constructive debate rather than simply toeing the party line.

Have another green dot Gruff.

I hope many read that post.

The CiC isn't the issue for me, it's the 2 million quid selling price.

That’s the bit I have an issue with. But how do you define what the club is worth.

If the Consortium put in £2m is the figure fair.

If the Consortium put in £1m over 10 years ago is the £2m fair

If the Club had not got Planning and not got Tesco to buy the land not got the new stadium, not written off the debt. But did have its debts called in by the Bank. The club folded and the Consortium and the shareholders lost all their money would that have been fair.

Maybe someone can advise how much the Consortium has ploughed in to the club in pure cash and exclusive of their time and effort in keeping the club afloat.

While I completely agree with your opinion, I think you should also have mentioned that there have been similar numbers of aggressive and patronising posts in support of the CIC.

I think as the proposed CIC acquisition of the majority shareholding is such an important moment, which may define the future of the club, that it is best to allow as open a debate as possible.

And that posts pointing out perceived weaknesses of the CIC should be welcomed and discussed as much as posts pointing out it's strength.

I think everybody, including the 10000Hours CIC, will be best served by allowing the forum to be used for constructive debate rather than simply toeing the party line.

I don't think anyone has anything against constructive debate using arguments and facts but th eoriginal post and Yul Brynner's posts read to me more like 'I've got a gut feeling this will all go wrong, then what happens ?' but they're in a style that's neither constructive or allowing for debate. If a poster has genuine concerns then they shoiuld be expressed and addressed where possible and many of the concerns that keep coming up have been answered on the 10,00 hours Q & A thread. We have all watched as more traditional owners of football clubs amass huge debt and even go into administration - this is new so no one know exactly what will happen in the future but I think if all the members work at it and a certain level of success is achieved in the first year the CIC will only get stronger and this could be the future ownership model for the majority of clubs.

'Collaboration is about building relationships that foster ideas, intentions, and value. Co-workers learn from and inspire one another. A collaborative enterprise with a common purpose can change the world'

the responsibility as to what road the club takes now seemingly falls on the shoulders of potential individual members of the CiC. with that also falls the responsibility of success (however you measure it) and failure (which we reckon we are all experts in defining).

excuse my use of dramatic example but i see the current situation as one of the 10000 hours people (non saints fans) convincing the BoD (which for £2m in the backpocket won't be hard), Corporate investors, community group, and individuals to RUN with us, as fast as you can!

The Beginning

come on faster, faster yes ask questions but we can't give you all the detail, we can't afford to stop or slow down we need to move now, quickly!

come on sign. pledge, fill in your DD, faster,quickly, lets go...... look we're here everybody ready? when we get to that big cliff top and i shout we all JUMP together!

but what are we jumping for? where will it take us? what are the risks?

the risks are not really yours, there the "Others" risks, just jump when we shout

but what are the benefits, what's on the other side?

look just imagine what it'll be like if you don't jump now? all those rogues that are just waiting to take you over! it's effin magic over the other side just jump and we'll explain everything else when we get there....

we loved the excitement, no one ever gave us this attention, or lets us become involved before so we ran, we ran as fast as we could, it was exciting, new and we thought if we don't jump now we never would!

so we ran, he shouted and we jumped!!!

flying through the air it felt magical, i looked back to see how everyone was enjoying it. some had stopped at the clifftop and hadn't jumped, i couldn't understand why?

as we flew over the VOID! a few produced parachutes they had hidden and "Bailed Out" half way across, no one told me about the parachutes!

several more fell off, some without parachutes simply fell as they stopped believeing, but we didn't our belief was complete.

then through the mists we saw it! the other side it looked great, sunshine, blue skies, full stadia, multiple wedding functions..... just magic

as we got ever closer we encountered turbulence, we didn't get all the fuel we were mean't to we were running out of power, just a bit further please a bit more time, help us.......!

if we don't make it everything will fall and be destroyed, club, community etc.... and it seems the pilots and crew have an escape pod, damn they didn't remind us about that!

did we make it? did we land safely? was it all good on the other side????

"you decide your own ending, because if you run and jump when the shout comes, it will indeed be down to you" :D

:lol: I really hope you are a wind up alias....you post that pish whilst at the same time demanding:

(please if you can answer then it has to be a costed, specific, timebound response, not a wish list i.e. "maybe in 12 - ???? months, years etc)
- then proceed to throw a hissy fit because you are not being taken seriously when slabbering angst about a documentary.

You need to have a sit down with someone who isn't going to wind you up and will explain the CIC process to you. Not me obviously. :P

This is hopefully the last thing I’m going to say in this CIC topic (unless I get slated but I know that won’t happen).

I have been following saints for the last 35 years and for the last 17 of those years I introduced my son to SMFC and have been a season ticket holder since then and go to most away games as well.

I don’t stay in Paisley so every game is a away game for me, I have purchased home and away kits every season from when my son was born spent numerous sums of money on merchandise from SMFC, put his name on the seat at Love street bought his seat and grass when sadly Love street went away, our names are on a brick on the wall, we have done hospitality so I have spent a lot of money in the club over the years.

However over the last season my heart hasn’t been in it and more importantly my son has been getting bored with it and we have been making our self’s go to games because we have a season ticket, and now feel that that is no longer value for money.

• Games on the Telly

• Free tickets given away most weeks ( I know somebody who has been to every home game on a free ticket)

• Cut price deals for admission

Now the board want to sell and the CIC want to come on board as I have said in the past I’m not for or against this as I really don’t know enough and I have read argument and counter argument and I’m still no further forward, but for the benefit for SMFC I truly hope it’s solved sooner rather than later, if this is the way SMFC supporters are behaving at the moment with each other god help us when it gets to boardroom level if some of the support don’t like what’s happening.

And during all this my main concern is what is happening on the park and this has been forgetting about and this is the sole reason I follow SMFC.

So my son and I have decided to take a year out from following SMFC and watch from the side with great interest while all this nonsense is sorted out and we get back what is important to me and that is watching SMFC, hopefully when the season restarts I might have changed my mind but at the moment I’m a truly desponded SMFC supporter.

This is hopefully the last thing Im going to say in this CIC topic (unless I get slated but I know that wont happen).

I have been following saints for the last 35 years and for the last 17 of those years I introduced my son to SMFC and have been a season ticket holder since then and go to most away games as well.

I dont stay in Paisley so every game is a away game for me, I have purchased home and away kits every season from when my son was born spent numerous sums of money on merchandise from SMFC, put his name on the seat at Love street bought his seat and grass when sadly Love street went away, our names are on a brick on the wall, we have done hospitality so I have spent a lot of money in the club over the years.

However over the last season my heart hasnt been in it and more importantly my son has been getting bored with it and we have been making our selfs go to games because we have a season ticket, and now feel that that is no longer value for money.

Games on the Telly

Free tickets given away most weeks ( I know somebody who has been to every home game on a free ticket)

Cut price deals for admission

Now the board want to sell and the CIC want to come on board as I have said in the past Im not for or against this as I really dont know enough and I have read argument and counter argument and Im still no further forward, but for the benefit for SMFC I truly hope its solved sooner rather than later, if this is the way SMFC supporters are behaving at the moment with each other god help us when it gets to boardroom level if some of the support dont like whats happening.

And during all this my main concern is what is happening on the park and this has been forgetting about and this is the sole reason I follow SMFC.

So my son and I have decided to take a year out from following SMFC and watch from the side with great interest while all this nonsense is sorted out and we get back what is important to me and that is watching SMFC, hopefully when the season restarts I might have changed my mind but at the moment Im a truly desponded SMFC supporter.

Don't think you will get slated for that post. It is well written, honest and I am sure will resonate with many supporters. The uncertainty this season, combined with the change in manager and a lot of players not to mention the SPL and SFA chipping in with their chaos has left many of us feeling the same way.

For what it is worth I think the CIC process finally coming to fruition and Danny's team starting to produce better performances leaves me hopeful for next season - but I know exactly where you are coming from as I take my kids to the games too albeit they are younger. Your sons a wee bit old for this but I only give them their pocket money if they go to games. :wink:

Edited by St. Sid

That’s the bit I have an issue with. But how do you define what the club is worth.

If the Consortium put in £2m is the figure fair.

If the Consortium put in £1m over 10 years ago is the £2m fair

If the Club had not got Planning and not got Tesco to buy the land not got the new stadium, not written off the debt. But did have its debts called in by the Bank. The club folded and the Consortium and the shareholders lost all their money would that have been fair.

Maybe someone can advise how much the Consortium has ploughed in to the club in pure cash and exclusive of their time and effort in keeping the club afloat.

All good points. I also thought that the consortium members with other board members got paid back with interest, the 'camscott' loan taken out to cover the debt that Barr had. Could be wrong and happy to be proven so, but can anybuddie confirm what happened with that?

This is hopefully the last thing Im going to say in this CIC topic (unless I get slated but I know that wont happen).

I dont stay in Paisley so every game is a away game for me, I have purchased home and away kits every season from when my son was born spent numerous sums of money on merchandise from SMFC, put his name on the seat at Love street bought his seat and grass when sadly Love street went away, our names are on a brick on the wall, we have done hospitality so I have spent a lot of money in the club over the years.

However over the last season my heart hasnt been in it and more importantly my son has been getting bored with it and we have been making our selfs go to games because we have a season ticket, and now feel that that is no longer value for money.

Games on the Telly

Free tickets given away most weeks ( I know somebody who has been to every home game on a free ticket)

Cut price deals for admission

Now the board want to sell and the CIC want to come on board as I have said in the past Im not for or against this as I really dont know enough and I have read argument and counter argument and Im still no further forward, but for the benefit for SMFC I truly hope its solved sooner rather than later, if this is the way SMFC supporters are behaving at the moment with each other god help us when it gets to boardroom level if some of the support dont like whats happening.

So my son and I have decided to take a year out from following SMFC and watch from the side with great interest while all this nonsense is sorted out and we get back what is important to me and that is watching SMFC, hopefully when the season restarts I might have changed my mind but at the moment Im a truly desponded SMFC supporter.

To be honest I gave my season ticket up 2 seasons ago but still go to all the home games and until recently felt exactly the same as you.

The last few weeks have seen the team play a bit better (not always for 90 minutes at a time) and that gave me a little hope but it's really attending the public meeting last week and seeing the possibilities for the club under this new ownership model that have got me excited about the future again.

The club has been stagnating since the move to the new stadium and if the CIC goes ahead we have a chance of developing as a club on and off the park. Sure it's not guaranteed to be a success but nothing in life is. It's got to be a better option than the status quo in my opinion and I think we can make it work.

Hopefully you'll see some improvement next season and again hopefully a bigger player budget for the following season and you'll be back to see the team. We have few enough supporters, we can't afford to lose good ones like you.

Oh and finally don't worry about the arguing about the way forward, the ones against the CIC won't have a say if it goes ahead :P

Edited by bingboy

Guest somner9

This is hopefully the last thing I’m going to say in this CIC topic (unless I get slated but I know that won’t happen).

I don’t stay in Paisley so every game is a away game for me, I have purchased home and away kits every season from when my son was born spent numerous sums of money on merchandise from SMFC, put his name on the seat at Love street bought his seat and grass when sadly Love street went away, our names are on a brick on the wall, we have done hospitality so I have spent a lot of money in the club over the years.

However over the last season my heart hasn’t been in it and more importantly my son has been getting bored with it and we have been making our self’s go to games because we have a season ticket, and now feel that that is no longer value for money.

• Games on the Telly

• Free tickets given away most weeks ( I know somebody who has been to every home game on a free ticket)

• Cut price deals for admission

Now the board want to sell and the CIC want to come on board as I have said in the past I’m not for or against this as I really don’t know enough and I have read argument and counter argument and I’m still no further forward, but for the benefit for SMFC I truly hope it’s solved sooner rather than later, if this is the way SMFC supporters are behaving at the moment with each other god help us when it gets to boardroom level if some of the support don’t like what’s happening.

So my son and I have decided to take a year out from following SMFC and watch from the side with great interest while all this nonsense is sorted out and we get back what is important to me and that is watching SMFC, hopefully when the season restarts I might have changed my mind but at the moment I’m a truly desponded SMFC supporter.

excellent post and getting the whole reason we support this team, because of the football. have a wee look at the alternatives thread it might interest you?