Individual Membership - the need for large numbers

Big Fras

Was out with a mate last night who is 100% signing up as an individual member. He made an interesting point when he noted that, should there (as looks likely) be more than 300 individual members, he hoped a decision wouldn't be made to reduce the monthy cost (say, if 600 sign up as looks possible) the payment isn't reduced to £5 p/m. Was this option discussed last night?

I had zero interest in joining SMISA so I didn't join. I have a chance to actually exert some sort of influence over the club I support directly by joining the CiC and that's one reason for joining it. And £120 is f**k all really. I spend more than that getting newspapers sent to my house.

Time will tell whether the CiC gets off the ground or not. Anything else is now speculation until we see the numbers. Personally I think we will utterly sail through the 300 barrier and will probably end up with a hell of a lot more than that.

A one off payment of £250 was f**k all really but how many St Mirren fans stumped up at the time despite the reports that the club were right on the brink of closure.

For the sake of clarity though Reynard I'm on your side in terms of wanting the CIC to succeed and for it to get off the ground. I'll certainly be joining as an individual member, possibly a family member, and I've been putting together a case for a community membership as well - and I can swear hand on heart that I really don't care about the on field performance of the team anymore. I just think it's a very worthwhile cause. But I still think there is a very large danger that the 300 members won't front up in the end, and certainly that they won't stick UNLESS there are tangible incentives for them to remain.

A one off payment of £250 was f**k all really but how many St Mirren fans stumped up at the time despite the reports that the club were right on the brink of closure.

For the sake of clarity though Reynard I'm on your side in terms of wanting the CIC to succeed and for it to get off the ground. I'll certainly be joining as an individual member, possibly a family member, and I've been putting together a case for a community membership as well - and I can swear hand on heart that I really don't care about the on field performance of the team anymore. I just think it's a very worthwhile cause. But I still think there is a very large danger that the 300 members won't front up in the end, and certainly that they won't stick UNLESS there are tangible incentives for them to remain.

You talk one load of s**t :moony2

Edited by pod

I have no idea how many coughed up. If it really was vital to the club they got my wedge in some way then they would have got whatever I could stump up at the time. I wasn't interested in joining SMISA and I am still not remotely interested in joining. I don't even have a season ticket and have no intentions of getting one either.

I DO intend joining the CiC as I think it has the chance to make a big difference to lots of things, St.Mirren included.

I think you might be right in that the membership will need to be kept well on board and it needs to be kept fresh and interesting for them or folk will drift away. Thats up to Atkinson and co to do this as well as the abilities of other folk that may well join it.

I know that it won't JUST be St.Mirren fans that will be willing to take a punt on this. There are four or five people that I know who will be seriously thinking about piling in here and none of them care less about football. If the end result is that St.Mirren can increase their budget for players then great. That's basically all I am bothered about as I don't live in Paisley and am UNLIKELY to benefit in any way from what happens with the CiC. Others will benefit from it all and I think this is good. I want St.Mirren to be a big part of the town. I think it will be. But thats for others to do, not me. I'll just lob my wedge into this and see what happens. I could spend £120 ON A MEAL FOR ME AND THE WIFE NO BOTHER SO WHAT THE HELL?

I have no idea how many coughed up. If it really was vital to the club they got my wedge in some way then they would have got whatever I could stump up at the time. I wasn't interested in joining SMISA and I am still not remotely interested in joining. I don't even have a season ticket and have no intentions of getting one either.

I DO intend joining the CiC as I think it has the chance to make a big difference to lots of things, St.Mirren included.

I think you might be right in that the membership will need to be kept well on board and it needs to be kept fresh and interesting for them or folk will drift away. Thats up to Atkinson and co to do this as well as the abilities of other folk that may well join it.

I know that it won't JUST be St.Mirren fans that will be willing to take a punt on this. There are four or five people that I know who will be seriously thinking about piling in here and none of them care less about football. If the end result is that St.Mirren can increase their budget for players then great. That's basically all I am bothered about as I don't live in Paisley and am UNLIKELY to benefit in any way from what happens with the CiC. Others will benefit from it all and I think this is good. I want St.Mirren to be a big part of the town. I think it will be. But thats for others to do, not me. I'll just lob my wedge into this and see what happens. I could spend £120 ON A MEAL FOR ME AND THE WIFE NO BOTHER SO WHAT THE HELL?

For me the vitall part is what can we, as individuals, put into it, how much are we willing to put in to make this work ? It will be up to the members to have the drive to take this forward and make it a suuccess.

Was out with a mate last night who is 100% signing up as an individual member. He made an interesting point when he noted that, should there (as looks likely) be more than 300 individual members, he hoped a decision wouldn't be made to reduce the monthy cost (say, if 600 sign up as looks possible) the payment isn't reduced to £5 p/m. Was this option discussed last night?

How did you work that out? We might need over 1000 pledges to have a good chance of converting 300 members.

If the payments change, then the only direction will be upwards, the floating of familly memberships as an option is an indication of this

Edited by spirit of 77

How did you work that out? We might need over 1000 pledges to have a good chance of converting 300 members.

If the payments change, then the only direction will be upwards, the floating of familly memberships

How did you work that out?

All I have suggested is that, given the number of pledges, it looks likely that the number of individuals might well exceed the 300 mark. You, on the other hand, have opted to use figures (on what basis you have worked out your assertion is anyone's guess), so I think it is reasonable for me to come right back at you.

I was merely passing on what a mate had mentioned to me. He will definitely be signing up, and is of the view that the fee should remain at £10 meantime regardless of how many others join him. I thought it worth mentioning.

I just signed up from Sydney for no other reasons than I love my team and I want them to be strong and secure.

I might be 10,000 miles away but this really helps with staying connected and I love that we are trying something that makes us that wee bit different to everyone else.

COYS !

How did you work that out?

All I have suggested is that, given the number of pledges, it looks likely that the number of individuals might well exceed the 300 mark. You, on the other hand, have opted to use figures (on what basis you have worked out your assertion is anyone's guess), so I think it is reasonable for me to come right back at you.

I was merely passing on what a mate had mentioned to me. He will definitely be signing up, and is of the view that the fee should remain at £10 meantime regardless of how many others join him. I thought it worth mentioning.

i didnt need to work anything out, it's speculation based upon the fact that there is no statement from 10000 hours as to what the expected conversion ratio will be.

Not all pledges will convert, that is a fact.

i didnt need to work anything out, it's speculation based upon the fact that there is no statement from 10000 hours as to what the expected conversion ratio will be.

Not all pledges will convert, that is a fact.

I actually think we will end up with higher numbers than the pledges. Worst case scenario 95% will convert to members. :)

I actually think we will end up with higher numbers than the pledges. Worst case scenario 95% will convert to members. :)

Doubt it. I've got to say though I can't understand the bellyaching about how relegation would mean fans wouldn't become members. That logic seems utterly bizarre to me and it's possibly the worst example of short term thinking that I can see around a football club today.

Doubt it. I've got to say though I can't understand the bellyaching about how relegation would mean fans wouldn't become members. That logic seems utterly bizarre to me and it's possibly the worst example of short term thinking that I can see around a football club today.

Just because it's short term thinking, doesn't mean it won't happen.

The CIC is asking people to invest in a football team, an SPL football team and a first division football team are different prospects and likely to attract different amounts of investment.

Won't make any difference to me personally, but I'm sure there are plenty out there who'll think twice about it.

I'm not sure how true it is now, but in the past it was very common for the price of shares in a football club to rise and fall depending on how well the club was performing on the pitch.

• 1 month later...

Just because it's short term thinking, doesn't mean it won't happen.

The CIC is asking people to invest in a football team, an SPL football team and a first division football team are different prospects and likely to attract different amounts of investment.

Won't make any difference to me personally, but I'm sure there are plenty out there who'll think twice about it.

I'm not sure how true it is now, but in the past it was very common for the price of shares in a football club to rise and fall depending on how well the club was performing on the pitch.

yea large

• 2 weeks later...

Any sort of feed back on individual member numbers. I see from the 10,000 hours web site that it reads 736 is that the number is DD forms returned if not is it possible to give us numbers as it would be interesting to know how many actually signed up

I'm sure 10000hours will release that information soon. As the funders are planning on making a final decision soon I'd be surprised if this was released before we hear if the plan is going ahead.

The poll that was run on here suggested that just under 60% of pledgers had sent their direct debit with another 30% or so planning to. Just over 10% of people had changed their mind.

Taking this into account I would guess there would be something in the region of 500 people having signed up.

All the errors inherent in such a poll could make this guess way off the mark though!!!

(Sample size: 106 (~15% of pledges).

On June 6th 10000Hours stated that

We have now received over 300 Direct Debit returns from our send out to the online pledges.

There are more coming in every day (over 40 today)

Edited by ds10