Another Corporate Member Added

St. Sid

As the 10,000 hours forum has been quiet for a while other than the fat pipefitter emptying his blow hole whilst swimming in circles I thought I would see what was happening on the pledge front. 575 pledges for general members and another corporate member confirmed. :)

Completely brilliant.

The CIC have hardly been on the go for hardly any time at all and they've come up with an alternate electricity supply.

This was obviously done to free up Aaron Mooy from bike duty and now he'll actually be able to play.

It'll be like signing a new player! Who says the CIC won't be making an immediate impact to the team on the pitch!

Edited by ds10

It's a pledge, not a membership.

You seem to have an issue with the concept of pledging.

It seems to me to be a sensible arrangement whereby all genuinely interested parties are afforded an opportunity to assess just how viable the project appears prior to making a formal (and financial) commitment. I can't imagine that many corporate and community organisations would make a pledge (and be happy for this to be made public as in this case) unless they had given the initiative and their prospective membership a great deal of consideration.

The other factor that you omit to mention is that arrangements aren't quite in place to translate the pledges into membership just yet, so what would you have people - and organisations - do, and how else would you propose gauging progress thus far?

so does 10000 hours going by their website:

"please register a form for all interested parties. If you are a family who would be looking to take out membership please register all members of the family. Family discounts will be available, but we do need to get the database with all the individual names established.

Similarly if you would like to consider both a corporate and individual membership please complete a separate form for each."

Edited by Evil_Panda

so does 10000 hours going by their website:

"please register a form for all interested parties. If you are a family who would be looking to take out membership please register all members of the family. Family discounts will be available, but we do need to get the database with all the individual names established.

Similarly if you would like to consider both a corporate and individual membership please complete a separate form for each."

I'm not sure what point you're making here TBH.

It's a pledge, not a membership.

You have to wonder, will all corporate pledges start with a contract at the club?

I have to ask, are SMFC buying and running the solar generation equipment or are they being paid a fee for someone else to locate it at the stadium?

As a replacement to my Christmas Bonus this year the company I work for created a subsidiarity company that I'm now a shareholder of that deals in a similar line of work. They take out an agreement with the owners of large office blocks, supermarkets, and big installations and install solar panels or wind turbines. They then sell the electricity generated to the companies who's roof space they are using at reasonably cheap prices and then sell any excess back to the grid. The government has a scheme that guarantees minimum returns on investment but that's far more lucrative for companies who operate further south in the UK than you would get in Paisley.

I had a read through the companies website though and they offer more than just electrical generation and provide a more rounded energy management service which will see them source any excess energy from the cheapest possible supplier. I'd also hope that as part of the arrangement Orchard will also look at the BMS controls strategies within the stadium especially since there is now likely to be much increased usage of the stadium.

To me it looks like a very sensible arrangement that will be beneficial to the club in general in the medium to long term and which has the added benefit of putting a corporate member in place - and one which might not be all that interested in taking up the seats in the directors box for the majority of St Mirren matches either.

I'm not sure what point you're making here TBH.

unless im reading it wrongly but the wording on the Pledge page is misleading and can easily result in false pledges.

Its especially confusing when it comes to corporate pledges. it states that if you want to consider either a corporate or individual membership then fill out a form for each. Considering a membership isnt the same as actually pledging a membership. I wonder how many people have registered an interest only and will then re-consider their stance when the direct debit mandate pops through the letterbox.

in addition, the individual membership numbers might take a drop when it comes to sign-up time as some supporters may have put their wife and kids onto the form without knowing exactly the costs etc. btw, what are the benefits for 'family' memberships? Has anyone heard of any incentives for this type of membership?

unless im reading it wrongly but the wording on the Pledge page is misleading and can easily result in false pledges.

Its especially confusing when it comes to corporate pledges. it states that if you want to consider either a corporate or individual membership then fill out a form for each. Considering a membership isnt the same as actually pledging a membership. I wonder how many people have registered an interest only and will then re-consider their stance when the direct debit mandate pops through the letterbox.

in addition, the individual membership numbers might take a drop when it comes to sign-up time as some supporters may have put their wife and kids onto the form without knowing exactly the costs etc. btw, what are the benefits for 'family' memberships? Has anyone heard of any incentives for this type of membership?

I think you are undoubtedly right in that there is no way 10000 hours will convert and maintain every single one of those pledges, however I think that the corporate and community numbers will be completely accurate as it's not just a case of saying "we're interested" at those levels.

I'm assuming that most of those who have pledge have done a bit of homework (such as attending the open meetings), so won't simply be relying upon the blurb on the site, but I couldn't say for sure obviously. I agree that there is always potential for confusion, but I can understand why the concept of pledging has been used. It goes further than simply requesting further information, and gives some kind of clearer indication as to how many people are likely to seriously consider taking up membership. It was on this basis that, on another thread, I hazarded a guess that target of 300 could well be exceeded.

Edited by Drew

It seems to me to be a sensible arrangement whereby all genuinely interested parties are afforded an opportunity to assess just how viable the project appears prior to making a formal (and financial) commitment. I can't imagine that many corporate and community organisations would make a pledge (and be happy for this to be made public as in this case) unless they had given the initiative and their prospective membership a great deal of consideration.

The other factor that you omit to mention is that arrangements aren't quite in place to translate the pledges into membership just yet, so what would you have people - and organisations - do, and how else would you propose gauging progress thus far?

What gave you that idea? i am simply of the opinion that an unknown number of pledges will not materialise as memberships. Will this consortium follow through if the venture is unfeasible or if planning is not obtained? it would be a very charitable act if they did.

What gave you that idea? i am simply of the opinion that an unknown number of pledges will not materialise as memberships. Will this consortium follow through if the venture is unfeasible or if planning is not obtained? it would be a very charitable act if they did.

Aye, and you're as entitled to that opinion as I am to any I might have.

I suppose it is fair to say that we won't know until the CIC start to sign people up officially. As things stand, the status of the pledge count is the only guide we have as to how things are progressing, and I don't think it is unreasonable to draw a few broad assumptions from this for the sake of debate (however inconclusive they might be). That's all I was seeking to do :)

Aye, and you're as entitled to that opinion as I am to any I might have.

I suppose it is fair to say that we won't know until the CIC start to sign people up officially. As things stand, the status of the pledge count is the only guide we have as to how things are progressing, and I don't think it is unreasonable to draw a few broad assumptions from this for the sake of debate (however inconclusive they might be). That's all I was seeking to do :)

Dictionary definition of 'pledge'. If Mr Atkinson chooses to enforce definition No 7 - the CIC is doomed. :)

pledge (plj)

n.

1. A solemn binding promise to do, give, or refrain from doing something: signed a pledge never to reveal the secret; a pledge of money to a charity.

a. Something given or held as security to guarantee payment of a debt or fulfillment of an obligation.

b. The condition of something thus given or held: put an article in pledge.

3. Law

a. Delivery of goods or personal property as security for a debt or obligation: a loan requiring a pledge of property.

b. The contract by which such delivery is made.

4. A token or sign: "fair pledges of a fruitful tree" (Robert Herrick).

5. A person who has been accepted for membership in a fraternity or similar organization and has promised to join but has not yet been initiated.

6. The act of drinking in honor of someone; a toast.

7. A vow to abstain from alcoholic liquor: ex-drinkers who have taken the pledge.

I think the CIC individual membership campaign is a bit of a funnel.

At the top we had the initial "let us know if you are interested". 1200 people filled in that form and said "tell me more".

Now TTH are saying, "ok we've told you more, who thinks this is a good idea and worth £10 a month" ?

The people who are pledging are, in my opinion, saying they will spend £10 a month. Of course not all of them will, and so the funnel will reduce further until we get to the nitty gritty, those that are spending hard cash and committing to a year of doing so.

Corporate and community enquiries have been taken via the website since it launched but these are all being followed up individually and the numbers displayed on the site aren't being updated until they have been fully validated.

I think the CIC individual membership campaign is a bit of a funnel.

At the top we had the initial "let us know if you are interested". 1200 people filled in that form and said "tell me more".

Now TTH are saying, "ok we've told you more, who thinks this is a good idea and worth £10 a month" ?

The people who are pledging are, in my opinion, saying they will spend £10 a month. Of course not all of them will, and so the funnel will reduce further until we get to the nitty gritty, those that are spending hard cash and committing to a year of doing so.

Corporate and community enquiries have been taken via the website since it launched but these are all being followed up individually and the numbers displayed on the site aren't being updated until they have been fully validated.

I wonder how many people are like myself, I almost certainly will join but haven't actually got round to pledging yet. Then there will be the people who don't go online much or haven't been to a meeting and are waiting for more information before they decide.

general members up to 590......10 to go and we've doubled the target - and the shareholders meeting is still to take place. :)

A lot of whinging about how many pedges are genuine. I am guessing that a good indicator would be how many pledges have been withdrawn since the meetings started. B)