CIC Article in Herald

Wilbur

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/st-mirren/meticulous-planning-for-a-brighter-future-case-study-st-mirren-1.1105687

Meticulous planning for a brighter future case study st mirren

Richard Atkinson

8 Jun 2011

CASE STUDY: ST MIRREN

THERE is something of the evangelist about Richard Atkinson. The 37-year-old company director is orchestrating the planned transformation of St Mirren from a traditionally run Scottish football club to an organisation with a much wider remit in the town of Paisley.

In many ways Atkinson, whose family own a haulage and construction company in Irvine, is attempting to turn back the clock, returning St Mirren to its supporters and community. It will be a distinctly Scottish model, but borrowing from the membership concept of clubs on continental Europe, including Schalke ’04 and, yes, Barcelona.

Whether the project is truly visionary or hopelessly idealistic remains to be seen. But what is not in doubt is that Atkinson has researched the scheme meticulously and that it is now close to becoming reality. The £2m to make it happen is almost in place, and it is up to the fans, and the wider community, to decide if they want to embrace it. The signs are that they do.

If it was merely Atkinson and fellow St Mirren director Chris Stewart who were attempting to manoeuvre the club towards a more purposeful future, it might have been considerably more difficult to persuade the fans of its merit. The presence of club legend Tony Fitzpatrick has lent the project a weightiness which Atkinson acknowledges has been invaluable.

\ It was important for the supporters trust, in particular, to believe in what we are doing

“We’ve been accused of wheeling out Tony for public relations, but he’s been involved in this for over a year,” Atkinson points out. “He has a massive standing with the support, whereas Chris and I have none whatsoever. It gave us a bit of credibility because it was important for the supporters trust, in particular, to believe in what we are doing.”

This, it has to be said, is no straightforward buy-out of the controlling 52% shareholding of the club held by a group of five directors, including St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour.

They have been trying to sell the club for almost two years, and Atkinson spotted an advertisement placed in the Financial Times. He did some research, put his proposition to the board (which he then joined along with Chris Stewart) and the intervening months have been spent putting the complex deal together.

Essentially the £2m required for the purchase will be provided by a number of social enterprise companies. It will be in the form of grants, soft loans and repayable debt. That will allow Atkinson and his group of advisers to form a Community Interest Company which will own the controlling 52% shareholding. The club itself will remain a limited company.

In order for the social enterprise companies to release this £2m, Atkinson needed to find at least 300 individuals (fans) prepared to pay £120 a year each, 12 companies at £10,000 a year, and a further 24 community venture companies in the Paisley area to pay £500 a year. These numbers have been found – there were more than 700 pledges from individuals – and the project looks set to get the green light.

It is envisaged that after 10 years of these payments, the debt owed to the social enterprise companies for the purchase of the 52% shareholding will have been paid off.

Long before then, St Mirren will have become a democratic, members club. That is expected to happen at the end of this year, following a transition period when Atkinson and his advisers will ensure that the project starts on the right lines. But from November, or December, the members (those who pay annual subscriptions) will have a huge say in the way in which St Mirren is run, including sanctioning the comings and goings of players.

“We’re trying to return St Mirren to what it was 100 years ago – individuals, businesses and community organisations all directly involved and helping the football club,” explains Atkinson. “We’re in a football stadium which sits in what is one of the most deprived areas in western Europe. It’s a £14m facility, yet it’s empty most of the time.

“Community Interest Companies exist to use assets and profits for the good of the communities they are based in. This CIC has been created to bring the community of Paisley together round the football club for the purposes of the greater good of the community and the club.

“We’ve always disliked calling this project the Barcelona model, or the Schalke model, because it’s not – although we have taken note of what they do there. Scotland is a country which has invented some of the most important things on the face of the earth, so I’m sure we are perfectly capable of coming up with a football model that everybody else refers to as the Scottish model.”

In some respects the aims outlined by Atkinson are more those of a church than a football club, and it is no surprise that he confirms himself to be a committed Christian. He even envisages a day when free membership of St Mirren might be conferred on every baby born in the town – get them young being the only realistic motto for a club which lives in the shadow of the Old Firm.

Yet for all this evangelism there is a hard-headedness to Atkinson also. The old model of football club ownership is falling down in Scotland and, if the professional game is to survive, new concepts must be embraced. “Football isn’t a business – it’s a passion,” he says. “Everybody has skills, talents and contacts, and we need to tap into the enthusiasm and ideas of the supporters.

“You listen to football phone-ins and everybody is complaining. I hate people who moan but aren’t prepared to do something about it. Whether what we’re proposing to do works remains to be seen, but when people pull together, it makes the prospects of succeeding that much greater.”

Ta, Wilbur. :)

Good article. RA does sound evangelist about this scheme - and no bad thing...

I'm almost a believer.

Yes, but should a good Christian admit to hating?

I hate people who moan but aren’t prepared to do something about it

:ph34r:

Japing aside, though, it is a very good article, in which Mr Atkinson comes across extremely well - a man of genuine integrity it woud seem. It is also very encouraging to read that all the funding seems to be coming together.

If those involved pull this off, they are due huge credit, IMO.

Good article by Campbell and a very encouraging overview generally.

Didn't get the '£14m facility' bit right enough, but heh hoh .............................

biggrin.gif

It cost 14m to build the stadium, if you had bothered to go to the meetings you would know what it means, is RA talking about people you who and do nothing :lol:

It cost 14m to build the stadium, if you had bothered to go to the meetings you would know what it means, is RA talking about people you who and do nothing :lol:

No it didn't

There is a significant difference between cost and valuation.......................but lets not let detail get in the way of a jolly good jape smile.gif

Yes, but should a good Christian admit to hating?

I hate people who moan but aren’t prepared to do something about it

:ph34r:

Japing aside, though, it is a very good article, in which Mr Atkinson comes across extremely well - a man of genuine integrity it woud seem. It is also very encouraging to read that all the funding seems to be coming together.

If those involved pull this off, they are due huge credit, IMO.

As Richard's unelected unofficial PR advisor i wish to make it clear he was miss quoted. He said "I hate IT when people moan but aren't prepared to do something

about it"...I should know I was there ...well i might have been there. Can anyone take my speeding points on their license?

If you read the bit about Motherwell alongside it seems like they only have a very rough outline of their plans.

Wonder how many people they have had asking in great detail about their business plan and their personal history!

I suppose they had the advantage of not actually having to pay £2million upfront.

It always struck me that might be a kind of advantage to paying £2 million for the shares. It requires all the organisation to be in place right at the start. Without the requirement to pay the money upfront, I can imagine there might be a danger that the idea would never really get off the ground because there's no incentive to force people into doing something about it.

They also seem to expect to generate about 750K per annum which must be about double that of the CIC. Didn't appreciate we were half the size of Motherwell.

Time will tell whether the upfront organisation will pay off, I suppose.

If you read the bit about Motherwell alongside it seems like they only have a very rough outline of their plans.

Wonder how many people they have had asking in great detail about their business plan and their personal history!

I suppose they had the advantage of not actually having to pay £2million upfront.

It always struck me that might be a kind of advantage to paying £2 million for the shares. It requires all the organisation to be in place right at the start. Without the requirement to pay the money upfront, I can imagine there might be a danger that the idea would never really get off the ground because there's no incentive to force people into doing something about it.

They also seem to expect to generate about 750K per annum which must be about double that of the CIC. Didn't appreciate we were half the size of Motherwell.

Wee bit concerned about Motherwell's plans for a CIC. The big advantage for us is that we have a shiny new stadium. Motherwell's stadium is starting to creak a bit and surely they will have to find a way to move at some point in the not too distant future. That will require a helluva lot more than £750K per annum. I think we are uniquely positioned to take advantage of the CIC opportunity. Only St Johnstone could maybe have a crack at it to good effect but I doubt Geoff Brown would want to give up his autonomous position too readily.

What do you think of their fan base as the Motherwell site quotes a bigger one than St Mirren. Attendance shows 1000 more per home game. Motherwell

have been a good attacking team with young and exciting players over the last 5 years and are in the top six. If we were in a similar position on the field do you think

we would match their attendance?

What do you think of their fan base as the Motherwell site quotes a bigger one than St Mirren. Attendance shows 1000 more per home game. Motherwell

have been a good attacking team with young and exciting players over the last 5 years and are in the top six. If we were in a similar position on the field do you think

we would match their attendance?

I think we would be there or thereabouts in terms of number of home fans through the gate. They will score a higher average attendance now simply because their ground holds nearly twice as much as ours (I think around 14000?) so they will have more away fans through the door than we do which will bring more money in for them too.

Motherwell historically have been the best of the west coast non old firm clubs. There isn't really a lot ot pick and choose between the likes of us Motherwell, Killie etc. We all wax and wane.

Why would anyone see a Motherwell CIC as competition? It's just a ridiculous notion. Spartans and Clyde wouldn't have been shitting themselves at the prospect of St Mirren going down the CIC route so why be "worried" about a Motherwell CIC unless you are worried that you might have been able to attract a number of Lanarkshire football teams that may now go for the more local option.

Fir Parks facilities are just about the same as Greenhill Road. They've got a large lounge under their main stand which has been hosting local functions for decades. It's dated and tired but it's been turning a profit for the club for years. Where a CIC could allow them to take off is that North Lanarkshire Council are looking to dump some liabilities and it could be that Motherwell could take advantage. Wishaw Juniors already secured one site on a long term lease.

I think we would be there or thereabouts in terms of number of home fans through the gate. They will score a higher average attendance now simply because their ground holds nearly twice as much as ours (I think around 14000?) so they will have more away fans through the door than we do which will bring more money in for them too.

Motherwell historically have been the best of the west coast non old firm clubs. There isn't really a lot ot pick and choose between the likes of us Motherwell, Killie etc. We all wax and wane.

Reynard - sorry but I think that's bollocks. There haven't been that many games where Motherwell have attracted more than 8,000. r*ngers and c*ltic matches at Fir Park this season drew in less than 9,000.

Well as our stadium holds 8000 and has never sold out I think at present the capacity is not our issue. The old firm games attract between 5500 and 6000 mainly due

to tv coverage. I'm sure Motherwell have maybe 1000 more season holders than us as i don't think their ground will be much busier on these live coverage games.

Edited by reborn saint

No, you aren't, in fact, talking bollocks.

Your sentiment is both correct, and obvious.

Motherwell allocate 2400 more seats to the Old Firm than we do.

This resulted in them having 10000 more Old Firm fans than us in their ground last season, ergo, their average gate increases by 500 just because of the extra Old Firm away capacity.

Well as our stadium holds 8000 and has never sold out I think at present the capacity is not our issue. The old firm games attract between 5500 and 6000 mainly due

to tv coverage. I'm sure Motherwell have maybe 1000 more season holders than us as i don't think their ground will be much busier on these live coverage games.

I go to our home games but I refuse to go to games involving the oldfirm as I refuse to be treated like an imbecile by police and stewards while being forced to watch a two tier policing system going on inside our own ground and see the oldfirm punters being policed and stwearded totally differently. A lot of our fans are of the same mind and don't go to these games anymore as it's just not very pleasant. TV coverage does play its part too but the small capacity and the fact the games are on TV is a perfect storm in terms of having small crowds at those games.

With a capacity the size we have we will never have very big crowds anyway. I dinno how often Motherwell have had a capacity crowd but they certainly get more oldfirm fans inside their ground at those matches. It does make a big difference.

Throwing season tickets at kids is definitely the way to go. My nephew is a huge Killie fan and he got into it via the free season ticket if accompanied by an adult scheme they ran for a number of years. My best mate is also a Killie fan and both his wee girls go to games with him, they both get in for next to nothing as well. It is the route I'm glad we are on too, kids in for free is where its at. The faithers or grandfaithers will come along with them too.

Anyway, it would be good to need a bigger capacity in the home end at some stage.