john potter

• 3 years later...

I hate John Potter! Made me feel sick every time I seen the useless cretin appear out the dug out and do that stupid jump and kid on header movement as he crossed onto the playing surface.The worst defender I have ever seen in a saints top and possibly ever in pro football. I have tried very hard to like cheesy but I find myself now longing for JP back in his place. I think that sums up my appraisal of cheesy. Nice lad, never a football player in his puff.

Are you's all forgetting Lex Ballie and Ronnie McQuilter

I'd forgotten all about Ronnie McQuilter until I saw him and Junior out in Bath Street 2 weeks ago. I'd suggest the German Trialist (Klaus Dietrich??) as the worst CH I've seen, though the worst defender overall was Brian Smith.

Edited by madball

Potter had a few good years with Saints.

Sadly he'll be remembered for his last season and a bit when him and Barlow got the fear whenever 83 mins came up and we started chucking away goals.

Smashing lad as well, hope he does well at the Pars.

Potter was a decent enough CH for the bulk of his career with us - like you say he spent a season too long with us however he (& Gallacher) did redeem themselves the following season! holiday.gif

One of our Top 50 all time players in terms of appearances!

http://stmirren.info/id406.html

Anyone who thinks either him or Cheesy are our worst centre halves ever obviously never had the pleasure of seeing Ronnie McQuilter or Neill Orr.

Totally agree with you on the above assesments I could dredge up half a dozen CH's from our spells in Division 1 who were a lot worse.

Regarding McAusland his main problem is that with no alternative CH since Mair fell out of favour last season he's had to be played regardless of form/confidence which has clearly worsened the situation, whether he'll be able to recover them at Saints is open to question - I'd lay the bulk of the blame on Lennon & Craig.

The only problem with Potter in his defensive partnership is similar to where we are now, SLOW as anything. Speedy forwards, like Naismith left them standing, and the same with this CB pairing. I watched Dundee Utd recently and they have a packed defence, and break as fast as F**ck with Cifti, GMS flying behind defences

Edited by Scabby Dug

• 2 years later...

John reckons it is us and the Pars for Champions this season.....

A year ago this weekend St Mirren were managerless and anchored to the bottom of the Championship after an eighth game without victory.

Dunfermline were eighth and only three points better off as they tried to adjust to life in the second tier after winning promotion under Allan Johnston.

But just 12 months on the pair are now battling out for top spot after a remarkable turnaround for both clubs.

John Potter knows the Pars and Buddies better than most and admitted his dream scenario would be to see them back in the Scottish Premiership next season.

As current Under-20s coach at East End Park his priority the table-topping Fifers who he is convinced have what it takes to win the league.

Johnston’s men host Dundee United on Saturday in a huge test with the Tangerines the bookies favourites for the title before a ball was kicked.

GD14606205.jpg
08/04/07 SPL ST MIRREN v RANGERS LOVE STREET - PAISLEY John Potter (left) and Rangers Barry Ferguson 2006/2007 Football St Mirren Rangers St Mirren 070408  

But St Mirren are just a point behind and poised to capitalise on any slip up when bottom side Brechin City travel to Paisley.

Dunfermline dropped out of the top flight five years ago and the club suffered off-field turmoil with the pain of administration hitting them hard.

Potter had a spell in the hot-seat after succeeding Jim Jefferies before returning to his current role in the academy to make way for Johnston.

The 37-year-old spent eight years as a Pars player in two spells but his fondest memories came at St Mirren where he was captain and enjoyed six years.

He played with Buddies boss Jack Ross in Paisley having also shared a dressing room with him at Clyde in their early days.

And Potter said: “It’s great to see both clubs doing so well and the perfect scenario for me would be for us to win the Championship and St Mirren to go up through the play-offs.

“They are two clubs who belong in the Scottish Premiership but you’ve got to earn the right to play there.

St Mirren manager Jack Ross
St Mirren manager Jack Ross pulled the club back from the brink of relegation last season (Image: Bill Muray/SNS Group)

“People say there isn’t that much of a difference between the leagues but I disagree and it’s difficult to get there.

“But I believe the current Dunfermline team is good enough to go and win the league and when I look at St Mirren I think they’ll be up there challenging as well.

“It will come down to whoever is the most consistent throughout the season.

We’ve started well and we need to keep that going.

“The Championship is very competitive. We’ve played almost all the teams and there isn’t much between a lot of them.

“We’ve got Dundee United this weekend and I’d imagine they would have been seen as favourites at the start of the season.

“But we know what we’ve got. We are a big club with a good support and after our recent troubles we’re on a sound financial footing.

“If we can challenge and get up this season then it bodes well for the club - and as long as we win it first then any success St Mirren enjoy will be a bonus for me.

“I want Jack to be successful because he is a good friend and it’s a club I spent a lot of time with and played a lot of games.

“I’ve got great memories of playing for both clubs, probably playing-wise more at St Mirren because I was there such a long time.

“It’s been difficult for them the last wee while but I’m good friends with Jack Ross who has been doing well in getting them back up the top of the league.

“I played with Jack at Clyde and then at St Mirren and we’ve remained friends ever since.

“He’s got them playing well this year and they will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season but I just hope we can go and win it.

“Jack took over a difficult job last year but he managed to see it through and it’s great for him to have turned it around and hopefully he can get them back into the top league.

“But I’m obviously now working at Dunfermline so they are my priority and it’s been a difficult time for ourselves in the last four or five years.

“But we’re definitely on the up and we’re doing really well on and off the pitch and we just have to keep it going and see where it takes us.

JS110911042.jpg
Can Saints win the Championship this season?

“Allan Johnston has ben great for us since he came in. He had to win the leagaue in his first season and we did that.

“It probably took us a little while to get used to the Championship last season but after 10 or 15 games we were very consistent and it’s been the same this season.

“We’re scoring a lot of goals, we’re tight of the back and there’s more competition for places so things are looking good.

“But we’re not silly and we know you can’t count your chickens this early in the season so we just need to keep working hard and keeping everyone fit.”

When a club suffers financial problems, the youth department is often hardest hit but the success of some of Dunfermline’s kids is a reflection of the rebuilding job.

Potter said: “It can be difficult for the academy system when there are so many changes at a club but the most important thing is getting players into the first team and we’re doing that.

“We’ve got Ryan Williamson in the Scotland Under-21 squad, Callum Smith in the Under-19s and Lewis Martin who has played 100 games for Dunfermline at 20-years-old.

“There’s players coming through. We might not do it in massive numbers but there is quality there and I know there is quality.

“And these guys are getting recognised by their country which is a difficult thing to do when you consider the resources that other clubs have got.

“It’s great for a club like Dunfermline to have someone in the Under-21

squad and two players in the Under-19 squad last time and hopefully that continues throughout the years.”