Would you vote for RA

BLF

How Would You Vote  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would I like a non St Mirren supporting businessman who is not a football fan to be the Chairman of St Mirren Football Club?

Hmmmmmmm :huh:

I'm sure there must be better candidates out there.

Would I be quite happy for him to be a board member of the CIC and remain on the BOD's at St Mirren?

Probably.

Edited by davidg

Would I like a non St Mirren supporting businessman who is not a football fan to be the Chairman of St Mirren Football Club?

Would I be quite happy for him to be a board member of the CIC and remain on the BOD's at St Mirren?

Probably.

Thats probably a fair point David - I like a lot of the things he seems to be trying so would certainly seem to be a good candiate for the board but equally I would be happier with a Saints fan as Chairman.

Edited by BLF

I know most regular forum users know by now that I am involved in some graphics-related jobs with RA, and would expect me to vote for him. Putting that aside, I would actually find it somewhat strange if the person who initiated the whole CIC takeover, who approached SG after seeing the Financial Times advert, who was co-opted onto the BOD for over a year, who put 10000hours team together, who has been the prime mover in dealing with the consortium, the funders, the politicians, who was the main man at the public meetings, has liased with SMiSA, who is our Commercial Director, and who frankly is the public face of the whole shooting match, wasn't elected to be new Chairman - at least initially. If he then does a crap job, the CIC model allows for the membership to shoot him in the back of the head as he drives down Deeley Plaza. Job done, swear in the new Chairman and duck back behind the grassy knoll.

Seeing as how this is all new, different and untried at this level.... if the CIC comes to fruition, I'd be quite happy to see it roll out with RA at the head of it all, his existing team behind him, Fitzy in place as a 'Presidential' figure, SMiSA representation, and also maybe SG staying on in some sort of temporary capacity to facilitate a smooth transition from consortium to CIC.

Edited by pozbaird

Is the person who had the foresight and ingenuity to bring about the first cic football takeover in Scotland be the best person to be the first chairman and to steer the good ship St Mirren through those initial unchartered waters?

Probably!

Is the person who had the foresight and ingenuity to bring about the first cic football takeover in Scotland be the best person to be the first chairman and to steer the good ship St Mirren through those initial unchartered waters?

Probably!

let's face it, RA is first & foremost a business man, & is also a director of another Company. Therefore he would get my vote, probably.

This again highlights a lack of knowledge in the supporters community about how this is going to work post agreeing that the CIC should go ahead. We need to know exactly how many BoD members there will be and what the balance between the corporate / community membrs and the general members representatives will be. This will have a bearing on how people vote. Further, if we are going to have 3 or 4 general members on the BoD then should we not be voting for our preferred 3 / 4 people rather than just one vote for a single member.

I can think of more than one person I would like to see on the BoD. Don't know if they will be standing, but it would be daft to be put in the position of choosing one over another as there is more than one place to fill. Or will it be named roles on the BoD that there will be nominations for and we will then vote on.

The MD of the club really doesnt have to be a football man, he has to be a business man who knows what he's doing. The problem with football clubs in the past has been having football guys first and foremost who have then put their clubs into precarious positions, we have been fortunate to have fans of the clubs who were financially switched on, but I would prefer a businessman there first and foremost.

I guess the problem with Atkinson is his other interests and how much time they take out of his weekly schedule, its hard to tell from companies house what his involvements are in the companies that he is a director off as to his role and his time commitments would be at these places, but its not a job that can be done on a few hours a week.

Edited by marrez

Yes. He is leading the whole CIC process and given that he is already on the board and therefore ("St Mirren supporter" or not) working towards the success of the club I don't have any issue with him not being dyed in the wool supporter.

In the longer term though it will be critical that we pick up the reins ourselves - that of course is the entire purpose of the exercise. I think that RA is the man to get us on the right course but ultimately we will be looking for people from the community to step up.

The MD of the club really doesnt have to be a football man, he has to be a business man who knows what he's doing. The problem with football clubs in the past has been having football guys first and foremost who have then put their clubs into precarious positions, we have been fortunate to have fans of the clubs who were financially switched on, but I would prefer a businessman there first and foremost.

I guess the problem with Atkinson is his other interests and how much time they take out of his weekly schedule, its hard to tell from companies house what his involvements are in the companies that he is a director off as to his role and his time commitments would be at these places, but its not a job that can be done on a few hours a week.

Of course - I've always maintained that I was keen for fan involvement at the top level of the club, but ultimately the guy in charge should really be a buisnessman, what i meant earlier was it would be nice if we could have a Saints supporting business man (GLS/SG for example).

I would vote for RA to be on the board at any rate - he has tried to do things differently and hopefully is generating a bit more cash along the way.

I wonder if RA would take extended leave from Maxi group if he were to become Chairman - as i've mentioned before I believe our chairman should be a full time position.

Marrez, businessmen, in general, have been responsible for some of the worst harm we've seen wreaked on Scottish Football over the last 30 years and most, if not all, have shown very little understanding of the football business or the principles that made the sport so popular in the first instance. The recent Channel 4 documentary on How To Buy A Football Club would also bring into question the morality and motives of businessmen who look to control football clubs as often they see it as a means to a financial goal. Unfortunately under the previous models businessmen were the only people who could realistically run football clubs because they were the only people likely to be able to purchase sufficient shares to gain control of a football club - things are changing now though, hopefully for the better.

The best committee I have ever served on at a sports club had a very diverse group of skills that brought with it a wide range of experience and a huge list of contacts. We had one businessman on the committee - the owner of one of Scotlands largest PR companies - but looking back it wasn't his managerial skills or his business skills that were of most use, it was his contact book and his ability to maximise the publicity and interest within the club.

I think in the CiC model the diversity would be important. You'll need people who understand the needs of each interest group whether that's the Corporate Members who will be looking for a financial return year on year from their investment; the Community Members who will need to demonstrate to their committee's that the return is worth the membership; the individual members who will need some sort of benefit that keeps them on board; the sponsors; the 48% shareholders; and the suppliers to the club - amongst others. You are also going to need those who can administrate to ensure the articles of association of the SFA, SFL and the SPL are met at all times, you'll need people who are capable of book keeping if not accounting, you'll need a lawyer, presumably someone with IT skills who is also excellent at PR, and someone who will work to identify new markets and revenue streams for the club to tap into......and then you'll need representation from the key people who play, coach and develop young talent within a football club. I've said it before but the CiC model offers an opportunity to cast the talent scouting net wider than ever before if the right people are involved.

Having said all that - I would vote for RA. Ok he is a businessman, but more importantly he's got experience of having worked in committee like situations and he's shown a capability for identifying new markets and getting revenue into the club from it's under utalised assets. He's also shown that personal gain is not his number one driver in coming into football and that it's his desire to be inclusive.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Any reason for adopting that view?

It doesn't even make sense. REA will not own the club so can't sell it. A much more sensible and well constructed post has been put up on the Q&A thread that will encourage a far more constructive answer. I suspect this is the latest made up speculative miscreant rumour doing the rounds. And again it is doomed to fail as anyone that has done their homework knows that the scenario can't happen. It will be better if 10,000 hrs answer the question though.....as it has been quiet from them for a while. :)

Why yes Bluto it would and if we ever do then I would vote for RA!

RA FOR MAYOR! :lol:

If the rumours of disharmony among the consortium are true then it may be the only post RA will be able to stand for, unless he stumps up some of his own money.B)