The Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig Appreciation Thread

You can see in the team's attitude in the last three games against sellik that DL and TC have convinced them what thy are capable of. DL has shown that he has learned and grown in the job, and the result is the most enjoyable Saints team to watch in years. We're lucky to have him and TC guiding our players

• 3 months later...

Guest somner9

I am concerned that we seem unable/unwilling to recruit either an experienced left back and striker, or sign/loan outstanding young talent in these areas.

I'm pissed off we let Morton beat us in the process allowing Dougie to stick it right up us at the first opportunity! (IMO they should have kept him for this season). That said I'm not concerned at the end result against Morton or Charlton. the latter was in all honesty a bounce match after training, the former our first competitive friendly of the pre-season against a squad a couple of weeks ahead of us.

What it does highlight is the fragility of our creative players when the sloggers (Goodwin, DvZ, Mair, Cheezy, Barron etc...) aren't up to form yet or injured. We are vulnerable when we don't convert chances made, and to that end Danny must see he needs a real goal hanging poacher to mop up all the opportunities the creatives and Thommo serve up.

Teale is playing some of his best stuff of his career, but it's too easy for opposition teams to cancel that out if it looks like your only/main avenue of creation.

A poacher is required! Sutton would have done, Boyd would be manna from heaven for our creatives and Thommo. As far as a left back goes I think we need to recruit an experienced heed to give the youngsters competition and the drive to be consistent if they want the jersey.

Instead of clearing out our strikers, goalkeepers and midfielders I think we should have had a clear out of the defence and build a whole new one. It's been our biggest problem for 2 or 3 years now an we never seem to do anything about it!

I agree with that 110%.

Instead of clearing out our strikers, goalkeepers and midfielders I think we should have had a clear out of the defence and build a whole new one. It's been our biggest problem for 2 or 3 years now an we never seem to do anything about it!

We need to genetically mutate Danny Lennon and Gus McPherson together. That would be one hell of a football manager.

Edit: unless we ended up with a manager with no clue how to defend or attack.

Edited by Magic Monkey

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was talking to someone from Paisley the night before the Dundee United game and the subject of "Have we turned things around" came up and my view, at that time, we had drawn with Aberdeen and won against both Hearts and St Johnstone, was that the next 3 games would be a decent point to come to some view on this.

After getting thumped 4-0 things by Dundee Utd things seemed to be pointing towards back to square one however after only the weather preventing us for surely a win against Ross County and a decent result against Thistle I would suggest things have turned around.

Of course there's no guarantee things can't go back but the effort by the management and players to dig us out of the hole we were in is quite astounding.

It's rare for a team to get itself out of the shit run we were on, this includes last seasons results, without a change of personnel and if we continue to maintain the current form everyone at the club deserves every bit of praise they get.

From today's Metro

"Thistle dominated possession but Darren McGregor reckons ditching the Buddies' passing play in favour of long balls paid off.

There are very few games where Steven Thompson has been dominated in the air said McGregor.

He wins more than he loses, so I think if you've got an asset like that you need to use it.

Thistle midfielder Isaac Osborne defended his side's approach to the game and said they would find it difficult to take a more direct approach, as the visitors did on Saturday.

We like to play the game properly, Osborne said"

whistling.gif

Saints second goal is a classic.

Long ball down the pitch. Thompson actually gets nowhere near it however the Thistle defender heads it straight to McGowan. A sublime pass from McGowan and Newton is in for the goal.

A move like this cuts out the risk of losing possession in a risky area. We don't even need a target man for it, we just need to win the second ball. And allows Paul McGowan to work his magic in an attacking area against a disorganised defence.

Surely makes more sense than asking McGowan to work magic in his own defensive third with forwards on his back and the opposition with all men behind the ball and organised?

If Lennon & Craig continue along this path then we will finish top 6 this season.

The key for me is playing football in the right areas of the park. If we had the ability to play from the back then fair enough, however the start of the season's form would suggest otherwise. The second goal came from a direct bit of play but was a great piece of football, as was the third albeit reliant somewhat on the slip from the defender.

Therefore if a pass is on to build from the back fair enough, that is option one, but if that pass puts the team under pressure, clear the lines and press from there.

The tactics worked perfectly though on Saturday barring a few runs from their left back in the first half. Lesson learned from the first game and 3pts in the bag.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Would like to thank "Shull" for this thread, it was overdue, it's good to read posts supporting DL and not speculating who should replace him.. So FAO of the board, Lennon must stay....

I think I agree. The Shull man isnae near as daft as he sounds at times. Maybe.

Our recent record is 4 wins from 5. Been saying for last couple of seasons if we could do that we could do a St Johnstone & maybe get to Europe. Started our good run with too few points to achieve this though. Can someone confirm these last 5 games is our best ever run of games in SPL? Think it definitely is.

Our recent record is 4 wins from 5. Been saying for last couple of seasons if we could do that we could do a St Johnstone & maybe get to Europe. Started our good run with too few points to achieve this though. Can someone confirm these last 5 games is our best ever run of games in SPL? Think it definitely is.

I think we had four wins and a draw in the 08-09 season.