Takeover to be completed next week

div

Guys, this is a topic about the club being SOLD, NEXT WEEK. Can we keep on topic please !!

Hear hear m'learned friend for Elderslie :D

It's been clear for a while now that the CIC bid depended upon external financing, not really the backing of the fans per se. REA was good enough to PM me on this issue, and the "300" watermark for supporter backing wasn't his idea, but from those who underwrite the finance for such a deal.

That said, my ongoing concern was that whilst the CIC is undoubtedly a fresh & exciting concept for football club ownership, and involving the wider community, the whole thing seems to have brought out the lunatic fringe elements, and from my business experience this is not what you need to be on the board of any business outside of drug trafficing/extorsion/loan sharking.

I've also been concerned that the current Commercial Dept of St.Mirren FC seem to be making a right old fist of running a club shop/merchandising operation. Combining those two factors, its fair enough to feel a wee bit uneasy about what the future may hold in regards to who is running the club/the principle shareholding company of the club.

I've got to say that I've been disappointed at the lack of real tangible effort to communicate the CIC concept to the SMFC support outside of this site: there are several databases that could be used, but I'm not aware that they have been. I really hope that this is simply "on the back burner" once it was evident that the 300 mark would be passed.

We need as many Saints fans as possible involved in this. The finance (ex-SMISA) from the fans is the minority party, and this is slightly worrying. We need to take this opportunity at full face value, and subscribe in large numbers: hopefully a membership scheme similar to ground admission (ie. OAP / Kids / Family concessions) could be implemented ASAP. It's all very well to sit on the sidelines and say "F*cking laundrettes !", you might as well get involved......and this is from someone who has been quite cynical about the whole affair.

Hear hear m'learned friend for Elderslie :D

It's been clear for a while now that the CIC bid depended upon external financing, not really the backing of the fans per se. REA was good enough to PM me on this issue, and the "300" watermark for supporter backing wasn't his idea, but from those who underwrite the finance for such a deal.

That said, my ongoing concern was that whilst the CIC is undoubtedly a fresh & exciting concept for football club ownership, and involving the wider community, the whole thing seems to have brought out the lunatic fringe elements, and from my business experience this is not what you need to be on the board of any business outside of drug trafficing/extorsion/loan sharking.

I've also been concerned that the current Commercial Dept of St.Mirren FC seem to be making a right old fist of running a club shop/merchandising operation. Combining those two factors, its fair enough to feel a wee bit uneasy about what the future may hold in regards to who is running the club/the principle shareholding company of the club.

I've got to say that I've been disappointed at the lack of real tangible effort to communicate the CIC concept to the SMFC support outside of this site: there are several databases that could be used, but I'm not aware that they have been. I really hope that this is simply "on the back burner" once it was evident that the 300 mark would be passed.

We need as many Saints fans as possible involved in this. The finance (ex-SMISA) from the fans is the minority party, and this is slightly worrying. We need to take this opportunity at full face value, and subscribe in large numbers: hopefully a membership scheme similar to ground admission (ie. OAP / Kids / Family concessions) could be implemented ASAP. It's all very well to sit on the sidelines and say "F*cking laundrettes !", you might as well get involved......and this is from someone who has been quite cynical about the whole affair.

Hear, hear Fras.

If the takeover happens, the only way the fans can affect change is to be part of the CIC. Disparaging and moaning about it on a forum will be even more futile than it is now.

A broader Public non-internet information and recruitment campaign should be one of the CIC's priorities after The Constitution is ratified. The more fans and Joe Public become members, the more community involvement, the quicker any CIC 'loans' will be paid off.

Hear, hear Fras.

If the takeover happens, the only way the fans can affect change is to be part of the CIC. Disparaging and moaning about it on a forum will be even more futile than it is now.

A broader Public non-internet information and recruitment campaign should be one of the CIC's priorities after The Constitution is ratified. The more fans and Joe Public become members, the more community involvement, the quicker any CIC 'loans' will be paid off.

In broad terms, life's too short. Might as well give it a go, and get involved if it passes through. If it goes t*ts up, at least we as a support could say "well we tried". Stories abound about an "un-named " potential buyer who wants it to go through as he thinks it will be a disaster, and as a consequence could pick the club up for a lot less than is required now. If true, then that is a shocking attitude. The msot important thing is the club, and if the CIC is going to happen, then let the fans be involved in as large numbers as possible.

I'm interested to see how the management structure is to be set-up. Running a SPl side by committee/by committee is a bit worrying. Get some "Aber-style management"* on board ASAP. *Hard...but fair :wink:

Edited by Big Fras

Agree with the last few posts. Te deal being signed will be a major milestone but it is really only the beginning of the whole project. There are some causes for concern but these are, for me, far outweighed by the massive possibilities this offers the club, the community and the supporters.

Once it is signed I hope the information and communication with the fans improves significantly, which I am sure it will once the necessary confidentiality restraints that have been in place up to now have been lifted.

Agree with the last few posts. Te deal being signed will be a major milestone but it is really only the beginning of the whole project. There are some causes for concern but these are, for me, far outweighed by the massive possibilities this offers the club, the community and the supporters.

Once it is signed I hope the information and communication with the fans improves significantly, which I am sure it will once the necessary confidentiality restraints that have been in place up to now have been lifted.

Databases:

SMFC ST holders

B&W Mag subscriber list

Print/track side advertising list

BGB members now in their early 20s

Get them mailed ! If "no stone is left unturned" in regards to promoting the CIC concept, then this has to be a good thing, and can certainly answer more than a few critics. Me included, who was too old for the BGB, despite being unable to take solid foods on Saturday mornings for most of the 90s.

PS I've been a critic, but the digs at REAs personal beliefs are a complete embarressment. I may not agree with all that the guy says/does, but I've always thought that SMFC had no favour to any particular faith :huh: Such an easy target to focus on, and not what I thought we were all about. Jim McLean (arguably the 3rd best Scottish manager - behind Stein & Ferguson) was a devout, hard-faced "wee free" Christian. Didn't exactly alienate the DUFC support during an era of success for them, that should still be the "benchmark target" for all provincial teams.

I do hope the mailing is done and there's some attempt at newspaper advertising or getting a person speaking on radio phone-ins. For me, seeing the CiC message broader than just on-line would be a major thing. It may not be vital to have more individuals in from the financial set up, but it would be 'the right thing to do' and get to those fans that don't follow saints online.

At last we have a wee run of reasoned, sensible points and discussion on this issue from the last few posters - maybe it will become a trend? I totally agree we need broader exposure for the CIC, as the online forums appear to have been the preferred vehicle so far, and looking at the number of posters on our forums, represents only a small minority of the potential fanbase that might be interested in the CIC in some way. To involve as many fans/local businesses/community groups to get involved as possible should be the on-going ambition, not just accepting that those signed up to date are all that are interested, and I do hope that will happen. As the ownership of the club stands at present, ordinary fans who are shareholders have no effective input into the running of the club - if the CIC model can bring on board more of the fans of the club, that can change.

Well yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehar....and hotdiggity darn!

It looks as though this might actually be happening imminently then?

Apologies for the exuberant opening to the post. Yul have to excuse me, but all this excitement brings out the animal in me :ph34r:

On that theme, does anyone else think that, when the deal is signed off, the press announcement should be made in sphagetti western lingo.....just for a giggle?

Assuming it does go through, I hope this is a good thing for our beloved club. I have a few significant reservations, but as I don't have an alternative option to throw into the ring, I'm happy to stand back and let those who have demonstrated a genuine commitment to making this work do their stuff. Fingers crossed and all that....

Edited by Drew

Have to disagree with the above posts are in any way interesting. "CIC must tell more fans about it" would have sufficed.

Div makes a decent point about this just being the beginning rather than the finish post. Other than that pretty much the same nonsense as before - someone else should be doing something.

That is what needs to change. The CIC changes the structure of the club and the supporter experience. We will no longer just be the customer. We will become the driving force. With that comes responsibilities.

The club will no longer be run by a BoD that doesn't have to answer to the fans. They can no longer make sweeping changes that fans don't want to see. We can lobby for changes to the management of the budget. Financial support for buses has long been asked for - we can now lobby for this to happen. Reduced ticket pricing, standing areas, etc will now need to be debated with the supporters - rather than just dismissed as - "the BoD disnae fancy that, see ya!"

At the moment we have been told to put three dates in our diary. I am guessing that the meetings will all be replicated rather than progressive and will be geared to bringing us up to date. Hopefully they will include some form of high level project plan including milestones and timelines for the progression of the CIC to a fully functioning elected members board along with the process for ratifying the constitution. I would quite like to see the presentation slides dissemenated to at least the signed up members in advance, but preferably through the mechanisims Big Disengenuous Knickers listed - if they are now available to the CIC - the databases, not Big Fras's knickers. :P

Fans need to get involved more than ever now. For me I would not be having CIC members only meetings either. If we have three meeting dates available then we should leave the meetings open for anyone who in interested or even completely against the CIC - and keep it that way throughout the process. This is very much doable - you just give members something to raise in their hand as they enter the meeting should there be voting required. The process needs to be as inclusive as possible.

Guest somner9

By all means call for a wider involvement of the fans, but RA has already gone on record as stating he will not be seeking to bring the other 48% shareholders on board, and has yet to give even the slightest hint he wants a much larger membership of the CiC by Saints fans.

What does he want?

The ability to run the club as he pleases without any serious involvement of other shareholders or fans. thats why you've got so many boards to diffuse "fan power", thats why he doesnt want the other 48% shareholders involved.

If his vision is for a Community Club owned and run by the Support and community, why does he want to distance the other 48% shareholders? Why on Earth would you decide to keep them at arms length?

What is RA and let's be upfront SG and the selling consortium so afraid of by not involving the people that own almost HALF!!! the club.

Can anyone tell me how offering ONE seat on A board (Not the executive board) is either democratic or in the interests of SMFC

Why have they inserted an exceutive board that has the real power to make decisions???

I know the answers, RA, SG etc know the answers. If he could have got the funding etc without having to have any individual members at all that is what he would have done. The individual members are i'm afraid to say just a window dressing/tick box exercise to get his hands on the necessary cash to control the club.

Please bear in mind the individual members are not a group of people who have come together as a result of a fan based iniative to Rescue the club! They are what they are. a minimum of 300 completed D/D,s that tick a box for the funding bodies.

We now seem destined to enter the darkest phase in the club's history, with at least one other company riding piggy back on SMFC and syphoning off revenue that the club badly needs to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt, this is not good and will all end in tears, with RA saying "well we gave it a go" and leaving a complete disaster in his wake.

I fear for my club!

Do you think RA will lose any sleep when it all falls apart?

Why would he, he's got no attachment to SMFC :(

By all means call for a wider involvement of the fans, but RA has already gone on record as stating he will not be seeking to bring the other 48% shareholders on board, and has yet to give even the slightest hint he wants a much larger membership of the CiC by Saints fans.

What does he want?

The ability to run the club as he pleases without any serious involvement of other shareholders or fans. thats why you've got so many boards to diffuse "fan power", thats why he doesnt want the other 48% shareholders involved.

If his vision is for a Community Club owned and run by the Support and community, why does he want to distance the other 48% shareholders? Why on Earth would you decide to keep them at arms length?

What is RA and let's be upfront SG and the selling consortium so afraid of by not involving the people that own almost HALF!!! the club.

Can anyone tell me how offering ONE seat on A board (Not the executive board) is either democratic or in the interests of SMFC

Why have they inserted an exceutive board that has the real power to make decisions???

I know the answers, RA, SG etc know the answers. If he could have got the funding etc without having to have any individual members at all that is what he would have done. The individual members are i'm afraid to say just a window dressing/tick box exercise to get his hands on the necessary cash to control the club.

Please bear in mind the individual members are not a group of people who have come together as a result of a fan based iniative to Rescue the club! They are what they are. a minimum of 300 completed D/D,s that tick a box for the funding bodies.

We now seem destined to enter the darkest phase in the club's history, with at least one other company riding piggy back on SMFC and syphoning off revenue that the club badly needs to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt, this is not good and will all end in tears, with RA saying "well we gave it a go" and leaving a complete disaster in his wake.

I fear for my club!

Different view from mine, but a good, open and genuine post none the less. It would be good if we could see more like this without the poster being attacked for having a different take on the CIC.

Time to focus on what the CIC can deliver for us - the supporters.

Different view from mine, but a good, open and genuine post none the less. It would be good if we could see more like this without the poster being attacked for having a different take on the CIC.

Time to focus on what the CIC can deliver for us - the supporters.

Fuxake.

Is this irony, mere cynicism or lunatic fringeness...?

Edited by bluto

What does he want?

I fear for my club!

Plenty of questions in there that could be posted in the QnA thread (and a few already have been answered!).

Also Plenty of ridiculous over exagerated statements aswell!

Guest somner9

Plenty of questions in there that could be posted in the QnA thread (and a few already have been answered!).

Also Plenty of ridiculous over exagerated statements aswell!

Pray tell what detail do you have to back up your two line review?

Richard stated at the meetings that the 48% would take one place on the club board. This has been mentioned elsewhere and I'm pretty sure I included it in my notes from both evenings also.

To say Richard hasn't mentioned needing the fans to be involved is like saying Ally McCoist has had a smooth handover from Walter Smith. I think you've confused Richard with a few people on here who've stated that fans should get involved, vote people in and then leave them to it.

"The ability to run the club as he pleases without any serious involvement of other shareholders or fans. thats why you've got so many boards "

????? Surely he'd have less boards then! You'd have a CIC board who would become the club board, everyone else would be kept at a distance. As the CIC grew it's asset list the club board would see one or two people come on board.

As it stands, It may be that in time the more business based members of the CIC, those who get their social returns and pay 10K, may want to have involvement in the elected members board yet prefer to have a smaller ratio on the club board. In the overall scheme of things, I wouldn't want the Saints fans to have full budgetary control from the off as we frankly don't understand the thing well enough.

"why does he want to distance the other 48% shareholders? Why on Earth would you decide to keep them at arms length?"

They already were/are to a certain degree. The ration of 52 to 48 means they're already working from a lesser base, something that was made tangible by the consortium and an operational fact prior to that if the controlling group didn't feel any need or want to listen to anyone else. Have the 48% put together a plan on how they would like to be involved?

"Can anyone tell me how offering ONE seat on A board (Not the executive board) is either democratic or in the interests of SMFC"

Oh, you had noticed that. Yet you stated Richard had no intent to bring them on board. Let's say it was 6 seats versus 7, let's say the constitution of the CIC made the 7 CIC board members duty bound to carry out the wishes of the CIC members as directed by a vote result. The 6 would have just as litte/much power as the 1 will have. I think the whole idea of the vehicle is that if you are part of the 48% and you actually want a real and powerful say in the running of the club then why buy however many shares it would take to bring you that when you can join the CIC and establish your credentials in the lead up to a board election.

I suppose it's democratic as to all intents and purposes the club board will have one over-riding voice and the 1 of the 48% will be the other voice. It's up to the 48% to organise themselves, which is perhaps the real issue as there's every chance the populous of the 48% will encounter the same issues as the CIC members with regards to communication.

"If he could have got the funding etc without having to have any individual members at all that is what he would have done. The individual members are i'm afraid to say just a window dressing/tick box exercise to get his hands on the necessary cash to control the club."

Read up on CIC's.

"the club badly needs to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt"

T h e c l u b i s n o t i n d e b t!

The club is not in debt!

THE CLUB IS NOT IN DEBT!

"Do you think RA will lose any sleep when it all falls apart? "

Do you mean will he lose any sleep when the CIC have to sell, nobody wants to buy as the fans have shown they don't give a shit and his 10000 Hours CIC have all that debt to service? I think he will lose sleep, much like the shop owners who've lost businesses in Paisley due to the community deserting them for a big building called Braehead.

Edited by TsuMirren

Guest somner9

Richard stated at the meetings that the 48% would take one place on the club board. This has been mentioned elsewhere and I'm pretty sure I included it in my notes from both evenings also.

To say Richard hasn't mentioned needing the fans to be involved is like saying Ally McCoist has had a smooth handover from Walter Smith. I think you've confused Richard with a few people on here who've stated that fans should get involved, vote people in and then leave them to it.

"The ability to run the club as he pleases without any serious involvement of other shareholders or fans. thats why you've got so many boards "

????? Surely he'd have less boards then! You'd have a CIC board who would become the club board, everyone else would be kept at a distance. As the CIC grew it's asset list the club board would see one or two people come on board.

As it stands, It may be that in time the more business based members of the CIC, those who get their social returns and pay 10K, may want to have involvement in the elected members board yet prefer to have a smaller ratio on the club board. In the overall scheme of things, I wouldn't want the Saints fans to have full budgetary control from the off as we frankly don't understand the thing well enough.

"why does he want to distance the other 48% shareholders? Why on Earth would you decide to keep them at arms length?"

They already were/are to a certain degree. The ration of 52 to 48 means they're already working from a lesser base, something that was made tangible by the consortium and an operational fact prior to that if the controlling group didn't feel any need or want to listen to anyone else. Have the 48% put together a plan on how they would like to be involved?

"Can anyone tell me how offering ONE seat on A board (Not the executive board) is either democratic or in the interests of SMFC"

Oh, you had noticed that. Yet you stated Richard had no intent to bring them on board. Let's say it was 6 seats versus 7, let's say the constitution of the CIC made the 7 CIC board members duty bound to carry out the wishes of the CIC members as directed by a vote result. The 6 would have just as litte/much power as the 1 will have. I think the whole idea of the vehicle is that if you are part of the 48% and you actually want a real and powerful say in the running of the club then why buy however many shares it would take to bring you that when you can join the CIC and establish your credentials in the lead up to a board election.

I suppose it's democratic as to all intents and purposes the club board will have one over-riding voice and the 1 of the 48% will be the other voice. It's up to the 48% to organise themselves, which is perhaps the real issue as there's every chance the populous of the 48% will encounter the same issues as the CIC members with regards to communication.

"If he could have got the funding etc without having to have any individual members at all that is what he would have done. The individual members are i'm afraid to say just a window dressing/tick box exercise to get his hands on the necessary cash to control the club."

Read up on CIC's.

"the club badly needs to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt"

T h e c l u b i s n o t i n d e b t!

The club is not in debt!

THE CLUB IS NOT IN DEBT!

"Do you think RA will lose any sleep when it all falls apart? "

Do you mean will he lose any sleep when the CIC have to sell, nobody wants to buy as the fans have shown they don't give a shit and his 10000 Hours CIC have all that debt to service? I think he will lose sleep, much like the shop owners who've lost businesses in Paisley due to the community deserting them for a big building called Braehead.

Apologies I see you have picked up on a bit of slack punctuation on my part. The sentence you quote above needs to be read in the context of the whole paragraph it sits in that is:

"We now seem destined to enter the darkest phase in the club's history, with at least one other company riding piggy back on SMFC and syphoning off revenue that the club badly needs to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt, this is not good and will all end in tears, with RA saying "well we gave it a go" and leaving a complete disaster in his wake.

Where it says "Syphoning off revenue that the club badly needs" I should have inserted a comma, or ended the sentence and re started with "All to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt"

I can see why you took that I suggested the club had debt, but my intention was not to infer that. Here endeth my english lesson. I will remove myself to the back of the class :(

Pray tell what detail do you have to back up your two line review?

What detail do I have :blink: ??

Well the first sentence is pretty self-explanatory - read the Q and A thread for the answers to your qusetions and if you can't find them then post the questions yourself!

The second sentence refers to statements such as...

"The ability to run the club as he pleases without any serious involvement of other shareholders or fans. thats why you've got so many boards to diffuse "fan power", thats why he doesnt want the other 48% shareholders involved"

"What is RA and let's be upfront SG and the selling consortium so afraid of by not involving the people that own almost HALF!!! the club."

"We now seem destined to enter the darkest phase in the club's history, with at least one other company riding piggy back on SMFC and syphoning off revenue that the club badly needs to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt"

All three of these statements are over-exagerated and quite frankly ridiculous statements to make - spouting personal opinion as fact!

I've seen a couple of tweets today that suggest that the takeover of the club will be completed next week.

I'm just back from 2 weeks in the sun so totally out of the loop. Anyone else heard the same ? :unsure:

Yes, seems natural enough now. That would certainly correlate timing wise with SG and his west coast retreat development. I see he was there again yesterday

Guest somner9

What detail do I have :blink: ??

Well the first sentence is pretty self-explanatory - read the Q and A thread for the answers to your qusetions and if you can't find them then post the questions yourself!

The second sentence refers to statements such as...

"The ability to run the club as he pleases without any serious involvement of other shareholders or fans. thats why you've got so many boards to diffuse "fan power", thats why he doesnt want the other 48% shareholders involved"

"What is RA and let's be upfront SG and the selling consortium so afraid of by not involving the people that own almost HALF!!! the club."

"We now seem destined to enter the darkest phase in the club's history, with at least one other company riding piggy back on SMFC and syphoning off revenue that the club badly needs to pay off a load of completely unnecessary debt"

All three of these statements are over-exagerated and quite frankly ridiculous statements to make - spouting personal opinion as fact!

Sorry that aint detail, that's just re-posting my quotes.

Fuxake.

Is this irony, mere cynicism or lunatic fringeness...?

Not at all. I have long been a supporter of freedom of expression and not just in these forums. As you will see from the subsequent posts the debate has fallen into another ah'm right and your wrang fest.

The reality is that somner9 is now posting how he feels about the CIC, which is very different from posting to undermine the CIC. somner9's post is no worse than expressing a feeling that Barron would be better at right back than DVZ.

somner9 is merely outlining why he doesn't fell that the CIC will be successful. Rather than attack him on point by point, which really doesn't help it would be more prudent for supporters of the CIC to start posting about why it will be a success. Getting drawn into a point by point argument doesn't help either viewpoint - as I parodied earlier in the week. :)

Instead of telling somner9 where he is wrong it would be better to produce an entirely new post outlining the benefits of the CIC. Time to step away form the negative bunfight and focus on the future - as I have been saying for some time. :)