Getting Involved

TsuMirren

Yes, but only seriously thought about it recently. To avoid this post being construed as a pre-election speech, I will put my name forward for consideration because having worked with Gordon Scott on the Final Chapter book, and with Richard Atkinson on various ongoing projects, I have built up a good working relationship with them, and would like it to continue - if it is of benefit to the club / CIC.

At last, I've been looking forward to the election campaign....now the online entertainment really can begin. :lol:

I'm a man of my word - I'll not be standing. I'm more than happy to offer ideas and to talk to anyone who wants to look at them further if they want flesh on the bones but that's the extent of it for me. I've got far too little spare time as it is and I've got a family to spend time with.

Good luck to those that want it though. Committee roles can be frustrating as f**k. It's hugely political trying to carry a majority with you at all times and sometimes people just aren't as driven as you but that only makes the successes sweeter.

I'm hoping Tsu and Poz with their experience and skills would be getting involved. I'd hope the same for Div too and perhaps TL or someone SMiSA.

I have CiC connections on a community level and would be interested in getting involved at that level.

I'm hoping Tsu and Poz with their experience and skills would be getting involved. I'd hope the same for Div too and perhaps TL or someone SMiSA.

I have CiC connections on a community level and would be interested in getting involved at that level.

The CIC better hurry up and get the deal signed... the transfer window shuts soon and my agent can get me a design gig at Ayr United or Partick Thistle on loan.

No, I would hate to be involved and somehow change the way I see the club. Im happy to stick to being a supporter, I probably tick all the boxes to become involved as well owning a local business and not being a moronic boo boy.

I know someone that was asked to be involved by RA and turned it down for the same reasons.

No, I would hate to be involved and somehow change the way I see the club. Im happy to stick to being a supporter.

Exactly my take on it too. St Mirren = fun for me.....it is a tasty bit on the side, but I wouldn't want to marry it. :P

I also think it is too early to ask the question though. No one has seen the structure, mechanisms, roles and responsibilities as yet. All we have seen is a high level graphic on a powerpoint slide / sales document. Until we know what being involved actually means then there is little point in anyone throwing their hat in.

As per another post above, the SMiSA chaps are the obvious choice. GLS would make a lot of sense. SG would be a shoe in if he is going for BoD membership via the general members route. A representative from one of the buses would be good - mibbae somner 9 of the Tile Bar. :P

My big concern is the fans that get locked out of the process. The ones that for whatever reason have been failed to be convinced by the sales pitches, or that are a little too distant from the fans that have got involved with REA, or that cannot get involved for financial reasons. For me that is where the biggest risk lies. To date I have heard nothing about how they will be able to access the club - a slightly different view of the second class supporter from "animal"; however alienating an element of the support is potentially the biggest risk the not only the CIC but the club.

Whilst all the talk is about increasing the fan base the creation of a two tier support could have the exact opposite effect. The CIC changes the dynamics of a football club. We are moving to a situation were will have CIC members and then we will have bog standard customers. There will no longer be the closed boardroom and easy targets for criticism. Looking at the more active supporters trusts they are treated with suspicion by non-Trust members. We will have a potentially more intense situation as the CIC members and BoD will hold more power than a Trust.

Traditional BoDs are a known and recognised evil for the football supporter. There is a comfort zone there - it is an accepted part of football. This change will deliver a complex and new relationship that will be highly sensitive for the general paying supporter. We have seen the OTT reactions to the launderette nonsense, the merchandising and the service from JD Sports. Sausage roll thief / dinner hall monitor baiting aside I have not heard anything relating to the management of the general support. Detail for CIC members is sparse enough - for a general supporter sitting outside of the process / decision making - it will be very easy for them to take a negative view of something that they have already chosen to reject. If that rejection blooms into resentment towards the club itself we could see support drop rather than the projected increase.

I think we should be taking a step back from the hall monitor election campaigns and start focussing on how the CIC gains wider acceptance in the support. It needs to be sold to all supporters and not just those that quite like the idea. We need to ensure that the second class supporter scenario is not allowed to develop. Until we have the buy in of all the support not necessarily from a membership perspective, but at least that they accept and want it to succeed then we are courting failure no matter what figures are thrown up on a powerpoint slide.

We are all one support, with a single interest at our heart. A display of arrogance in cracking on with the CIC without attempting to get everyone on board will be a major own goal in the medium to long term and perhaps quicker than that.

As a test of the prospective sausage roll thieves credentials they could put forward there ideas how they will get ALL of the support on board the CIC train. To date all we have seen is the belittling of anyone expressing their concerns. It is time for the prospective candidates to raise their game and sell the CIC on its merits rather than what has been a very negative campaign by all parties. So let's hear your pitches on why the CIC is right for ALL our fans and how you will ensure everyone is represented in the decision making processes that will affect everyone. :)

:unsure:

To date all we have seen is the belittling of anyone expressing their concerns. It is time for the prospective candidates to raise their game and sell the CIC on its merits rather than what has been a very negative campaign by all parties.

SO TRUE.

Now why exactly have you been doing that?

:unsure:

SO TRUE.

Now why exactly have you been doing that?

.....not once did I belittle anyone in any way who didn't deserve it. I merely provided helpful feedback in character. :P

As I said a while back it is time to move on; however there is a risk in moving on without the full backing of the support. A reasonable challenge to the potential candidates (who will be the new targets for belittling by the way - they should have to earn their sausage rolls. :P ) will be how they sell the CIC to supporters not yet signed up, and how they sell the CIC to non-members who will continue to support the club, but not necessarily the CIC.

If they cannot sell the CIC to the wider support now then they are going to have a very hard time making a success of the CIC one it is up and running. We need the strongest team possible and besides it will be fun setting them tasks to prove their worth and earn our votes. :)

Anyone know how many members will be voted onto the CIC board and how many votes is one member aloud ?

Maybe someone can spring my mind is there a separate board for running the football club and if so how do board members get on that?

Of course my vote can be paid for :P

Im beginning to like this GLS guy myself now

I have no inside track, but having had two bids for the club knocked back, having watched himself be frozen out by the formation of the 52% consortium, and stepping away from the club.... Hmm. Can't see it somehow.

.....not once did I belittle anyone in any way who didn't deserve it. I merely provided helpful feedback in character. :P

As I said a while back it is time to move on; however there is a risk in moving on without the full backing of the support. A reasonable challenge to the potential candidates (who will be the new targets for belittling by the way - they should have to earn their sausage rolls. :P ) will be how they sell the CIC to supporters not yet signed up, and how they sell the CIC to non-members who will continue to support the club, but not necessarily the CIC.

If they cannot sell the CIC to the wider support now then they are going to have a very hard time making a success of the CIC one it is up and running. We need the strongest team possible and besides it will be fun setting them tasks to prove their worth and earn our votes. :)

The only thing on the minds of supporters who are not interested in the CIC is the performance of the team and results. We currently have around 2500 STH and 1500 who attend games through choice. If we are playing good football and getting results both these figures will increase. I can understand what you are saying but I think the vast majority outwith the 900 plegers are not against the CIC and don't give a toss about the boards. I hope the fans board won't carry any real power outwith trying to generate more money for the club which i'm sure Div,Polza , Tsu etc can do. Leave the big decisions to the quality we have on the other boards and we will become the best small club in Scotland with a united support.

Edited by reborn saint

As a test of the prospective sausage roll thieves credentials they could put forward there ideas how they will get ALL of the support on board the CIC train. To date all we have seen is the belittling of anyone expressing their concerns. It is time for the prospective candidates to raise their game and sell the CIC on its merits rather than what has been a very negative campaign by all parties. So let's hear your pitches on why the CIC is right for ALL our fans and how you will ensure everyone is represented in the decision making processes that will affect everyone. :)

There was plenty of discussion like that months ago, if you go to the main CIC discussion thread it's all in there. Sadly, there was quite a bit of piss taking and it's all gotten lost.

Im beginning to like this GLS guy myself now

I think GLS would be the ideal candidate. The last thing we need is a Dimdee scenario where we have a puppet representative on the Board who hasn't a clue what is going on. We need people on the fans BoD that have the strength and confidence to represent our interests.

The SAD document appears to be confusing the issue and REA also muddied the water the other night. The SAD document is all about the skills you can bring to the CIC. I would have viewed that as being completely separate from the BoD elections. Might have misheard it, but it sounded like REA and the CIC Board were going to select people for us to then vote on. That doesn't sound like fans ownership. If the CIC Board make the nominations the election process would be a waste of time. It is about time more flesh was put on the bones of the processes following the go ahead of the transfer of the club. I am hoping that someone like SMiSA is having significant contribution to the draft constitution.

There was plenty of discussion like that months ago, if you go to the main CIC discussion thread it's all in there. Sadly, there was quite a bit of piss taking and it's all gotten lost.

I know, I wrote a lot of it as well as making a significant contribution to the piss taking.

Are you feart. :P

Might have misheard it, but it sounded like REA and the CIC Board were going to select people for us to then vote on.

People will be approached for the interim, come time for any election members will be fully able to put themselves forward for election. I certainly didn't hear any sort of "we'll select candidates for election" discussion.

People will be approached for the interim, come time for any election members will be fully able to put themselves forward for election. I certainly didn't hear any sort of "we'll select candidates for election" discussion.

That makes more sense....always thought REA and his team were going to act as the interim BoD, although he did say they were open to anyone getting involved if they wanted to. That being said I would have some concern about a hand picked interim BoD. There needs to be independence between the BoDs or there is no point. I would let the CIC BoD take the reigns for the first 6 months. They can get support from the SAD Group :D as and when they see fit. An unelected members BoD is not a good idea even if it interim. I would have no objection to SMiSA having a role on the interim BoD though. :)

Yes, but only seriously thought about it recently. To avoid this post being construed as a pre-election speech, I will put my name forward for consideration because having worked with Gordon Scott on the Final Chapter book, and with Richard Atkinson on various ongoing projects, I have built up a good working relationship with them, and would like it to continue - if it is of benefit to the club / CIC.

I think anyone putting their name forwards should think very carefully about whether they have good, solid and highly successful direct relevant experience in the position they are standing for.

That's the best chance the club has of being successful.

We don't need plumbers applying to become doctors because they watched 3 episodes of House.

Of course this comment isn't directed specifically at you but I'd urge all of you who plan to stand to look in the mirror and be utterly honest about what you can bring to the club.

I think anyone putting their name forwards should think very carefully about whether they have good, solid and highly successful direct relevant experience in the position they are standing for.

We don't need plumbers applying to become doctors because they watched 3 episodes of House.

Of course this comment isn't directed specifically at you but I'd urge all of you who plan to stand to look in the mirror and be utterly honest about what you can bring to the club.

I'm not a plumber, but having seen NHS doctors in action I'm pretty certain they'd be over qualified after watching 1 episode of House and one of ER. :rolleyes:

We don't need plumbers applying to become doctors because they watched 3 episodes of House. Of course this comment isn't directed specifically at you but I'd urge all of you who plan to stand to look in the mirror and be utterly honest about what you can bring to the club.

Oaky,

Speaking personally, the thread title asked if you were thinking about putting yourself forward for involvement. I am not thinking about being elected to any particular BOD position, certainly not one I am ill-qualified to fill in the first place. My hope is for my involvement to allow me to expand on my current involvement (books, merchandise, graphics, strip design... and to hopefully develop these sorts of things further, with my 36 years of being a fan giving me a good understanding of what we like and dislike as supporters. I also have some other ideas that I would like to take further, hopefully with 'official' involvement I will be able to do so.

I have no desire to necessarily be on a board, I do think I have something to offer though, and would like to do so.

I'd also promise never to steal a sausage roll or act like a cnutcillor.

... OK Sid!?

... Edited for an unholy amount of typo' errors due to the initial post being made on my iPod.

Edited by pozbaird