Getting Involved

TsuMirren

Oaky,

Speaking personally, the thread title asked if you were thinking about putting yourself forward for involvenent. I am not thinking about being elected to any particular BOD position, certainly not one I sm ill-qualified to fill in the first place. My hope is for my involvement to allkw me to expand on my current involvement (books, merchsndise, graphics, strip design... and to hopefully develop these sorts of thiings further, with my 36 years of being a fan giving me a good understanding of what we like and dislike as supporters. I akso have some other ideas that I would like to take further, hopefully with 'official' involvement I will be able to do so.

I have no desire to necessarily be on a board, I do think I have something to offer though, and would like to do so.

I'd also promise never to steal.a sausage roll or act like a cnutcillor.

... OK Sid!?

Poz, seriously, I would ignore Oaksoft.

Obviously there are certain positions on a football board where there is a requirement for particular skills - Secretary and Treasurer would be the two that would immediately spring to my mind. Beyond that I think it's far more important that you have drive, ambition and the time to be able to properly commit more than professional qualifications - particularly when you are operating within a CiC model where you're going to have a set budget.

Look around football clubs in Scotland, are their boardrooms full of people with checked credentials, or are they simply full of people who bought their position or inherited it through shares that were passed on to them? Was Willie Todd endowed with qualifications to help him run a football club? Was John Paton?

If you fancy a place on the football board then why shouldn't you go for it?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Oaky,

Speaking personally, the thread title asked if you were thinking about putting yourself forward for involvement. I am not thinking about being elected to any particular BOD position, certainly not one I am ill-qualified to fill in the first place. My hope is for my involvement to allow me to expand on my current involvement (books, merchandise, graphics, strip design... and to hopefully develop these sorts of things further, with my 36 years of being a fan giving me a good understanding of what we like and dislike as supporters. I also have some other ideas that I would like to take further, hopefully with 'official' involvement I will be able to do so.

I have no desire to necessarily be on a board, I do think I have something to offer though, and would like to do so.

I'd also promise never to steal a sausage roll or act like a cnutcillor.

... OK Sid!?

... Edited for an unholy amount of typo' errors due to the initial post being made on my iPod.

I think you will be on the board as you have skills to offer. You have my vote anyway.

Oaky,

Speaking personally, the thread title asked if you were thinking about putting yourself forward for involvement. I am not thinking about being elected to any particular BOD position, certainly not one I am ill-qualified to fill in the first place. My hope is for my involvement to allow me to expand on my current involvement (books, merchandise, graphics, strip design... and to hopefully develop these sorts of things further, with my 36 years of being a fan giving me a good understanding of what we like and dislike as supporters. I also have some other ideas that I would like to take further, hopefully with 'official' involvement I will be able to do so.

... OK Sid!?

... Edited for an unholy amount of typo' errors due to the initial post being made on my iPod.

That post has got c"ntcillor written all over it. Blatant self promotion of your business, a sudden change in direction from "I work well with REA" to 36 years of being a fan - but falls short of explaining how you intend to "understand" the likes and dislikes of supporters.....anyone expressing concern that you disagreed with has been met with hostility by you to date. That is more the behaviour you would expect from c"ntcillor Sharkey than from a fellow Saints fan you would trust to represent you on the BoD. "I have other ideaas" - will spill them then, why the secret squirrel act? If you have great ideas get them posted and you might just find that with other our support you can acheive them any way.

Your post has sausage roll thieving c"ntcillor written all over it. :D

Being the fans representative on the BoD means that you must actually be representative of the fans views, desires, concerns and hopes for the clubs. Your post smacks of your own personal dreams for the club. I reckon you would be as bad a representative as StuDick.

Back when the club was being shat down the toilet we had one dodgy Chairman after another backed by a just as shady group of hingers on. We had useless jokers trying to build hooses in Cairters Corner for themselves, the pilfering of our crown jewels that led to the eventual sale of Love Street. We don't need similar shady characters now.

The guys that proven their credentials are guys like Wullie Bell or John White, or Jim (can never remember his surname)....they have made their mistakes like the dressing gowns and learnt from them. They should have at least one fans representative place, and I am sure they will. What would also be helpful is someone representing fans interest that has significant experience in running the club and has proven their credentials as a club guardian - I would be looking at someone from the current BoD - preferably SG who has developed into one of the leading lights of Scottish football over the last 10+ years. I also think McAusland would be good.

Martin Carr would also be excellent; however there may be a conflict of interest there. I would also be very happy to see Alan Provan represent us.

The fans representative should have absolutely f"k aw to do with how well anyone gets on with REA. The fans representation should be about checks and balances ensuring that fans hopes and desires for the club are represented.

I would also be very concerned that anyone with an online alias in an unofficial fans forum had anything to do with the running of the club. By all means they can utilise the forum to foster discussion; however they need to do it in a Hungry Hippo style rather than an attack on fellow supporters for having a different view from them.

I want serious, capable fans representation on the BoD that will challenge the CIC Board and the SMFC Board. They should have one single goal and that is to represent the interests of the supporters - not just CIC members. What I don't want is some wegiescumbagland based YUPPY hanging out of REA's ass to try and achieve a personal fantasy.

Now, getting back to the point - we have yet to see any detail on the form of the elections. And I am not looking for yet another vague answer from TsuMirren. :P As yet no detail has been passed to us. Are we looking at a plc style election - where REA decides who will be put up for office and we get to say yay or nay? If so then I fear the worst for us? Are we going to see an open election, where each candidate will require a certain level of nominations / support prior to entering the election? Will it be a first past the post effort - with the candidates with the most votes taking the general member BoD posts? If it is first past the post, will there be an opportunity for us to vote for more than one candidate as I am sure there will be more than one nominee that I would like to see on the BoD? Will there be named posts, and each candidate will be fighting specifically for that post?

The big question here though is who is setting the rules for the elections? Is it Scott and REA? Is it the social funders? Will it be us? The writing of the draft constitution would suggest that the general members are not involved. Will it be a case of - we need to do it this way to attract the funding?

I have long said that the risk in the CIC is going to be in the detail of the constitution. If the constitution is a document fully under the control of the external CIC proposers and the social funders then concerns that we have just handed our club over to people we barely know, who's intentions we barely know could be realised. Sorry not handed our club over to.....bought our club on behalf of.

The election process is a tiny element of the constitution. However, looking just at that you can see the potential pitfalls. We need to be seeing meetings were the detail is discussed openly. What I don't see is why we need to wait until after the takeover happens to start working on the constitution - if we are to get that chance at all?

Oaky,

... OK Sid!?

Personally I thought wear the different colour scarf was ill conceived and not thought through properly.. Your also very critical with anyone who does not agree with you. Like the Dragons Den - For that reason you will not be getting my vote , sorry but that's how I feel

Jokes aside GLS would be a first choice. I know Div is a very busy man and may not have the time but here is a level headed Guy with good PR skills and as big a St Mirren supporter as you are going to get. I also think it would be good for Div who should give it some serious thought. Got that last bit baldy

Personally I thought wear the different colour scarf was ill conceived and not thought through properly.. Your also very critical with anyone who does not agree with you. Like the Dragons Den - For that reason you will not be getting my vote , sorry but that's how I feel

Jokes aside GLS would be a first choice. I know Div is a very busy man and may not have the time but here is a level headed Guy with good PR skills and as big a St Mirren supporter as you are going to get. I also think it would be good for Div who should give it some serious thought. Got that last bit baldy

I think Div could be a good shout too, but appreciate how busy he is. Again, this all depends on the detail though. It could be the BoD members only have to turn up once a month to vote on something or other. All the work on a BoD tends to be done by the secretary. It might not be that big a commitment. The obvious point here is that we just don;t know at this point as there is no detail provided. That will be in the draft constitution, which is not forthcoming. As stated I expected to hear more about it at the meeting last week. It was good to get reassurance that everyhting was fine and close to completion. However, I am keen to start working on the detail and ensuring this isn't going to a lot of stitched up bollox. I am quite sure it isn't and that SG and Co will have looked after fans interest; however I would like to hear it from the horses mouth backed up with documented detail now - and not on a one to one basis.

Its like anything else really, anyone putting themselves forward should instantly be discounted :P

Div has already ruled himself out Sid.

A real pity - the baldy one has that dalai lama air about him and inspires trust. :P

Me and Div's age group will already be over committed with career / family / supporting St Mirren - the basics of which eat into a fair bit of our time already.

That post has got c"ntcillor written all over it. Blatant self promotion of your business, a sudden change in direction from "I work well with REA" to 36 years of being a fan - but falls short of explaining how you intend to "understand" the likes and dislikes of supporters.....anyone expressing concern that you disagreed with has been met with hostility by you to date. That is more the behaviour you would expect from c"ntcillor Sharkey than from a fellow Saints fan you would trust to represent you on the BoD. "I have other ideaas" - will spill them then, why the secret squirrel act? If you have great ideas get them posted and you might just find that with other our support you can acheive them any way.

Your post has sausage roll thieving c"ntcillor written all over it. :D

Being the fans representative on the BoD means that you must actually be representative of the fans views, desires, concerns and hopes for the clubs. Your post smacks of your own personal dreams for the club. I reckon you would be as bad a representative as StuDick.

Back when the club was being shat down the toilet we had one dodgy Chairman after another backed by a just as shady group of hingers on. We had useless jokers trying to build hooses in Cairters Corner for themselves, the pilfering of our crown jewels that led to the eventual sale of Love Street. We don't need similar shady characters now.

The guys that proven their credentials are guys like Wullie Bell or John White, or Jim (can never remember his surname)....they have made their mistakes like the dressing gowns and learnt from them. They should have at least one fans representative place, and I am sure they will. What would also be helpful is someone representing fans interest that has significant experience in running the club and has proven their credentials as a club guardian - I would be looking at someone from the current BoD - preferably SG who has developed into one of the leading lights of Scottish football over the last 10+ years. I also think McAusland would be good.

Martin Carr would also be excellent; however there may be a conflict of interest there. I would also be very happy to see Alan Provan represent us.

The fans representative should have absolutely f"k aw to do with how well anyone gets on with REA. The fans representation should be about checks and balances ensuring that fans hopes and desires for the club are represented.

I would also be very concerned that anyone with an online alias in an unofficial fans forum had anything to do with the running of the club. By all means they can utilise the forum to foster discussion; however they need to do it in a Hungry Hippo style rather than an attack on fellow supporters for having a different view from them.

I want serious, capable fans representation on the BoD that will challenge the CIC Board and the SMFC Board. They should have one single goal and that is to represent the interests of the supporters - not just CIC members. What I don't want is some wegiescumbagland based YUPPY hanging out of REA's ass to try and achieve a personal fantasy.

Now, getting back to the point - we have yet to see any detail on the form of the elections. And I am not looking for yet another vague answer from TsuMirren. :P As yet no detail has been passed to us. Are we looking at a plc style election - where REA decides who will be put up for office and we get to say yay or nay? If so then I fear the worst for us? Are we going to see an open election, where each candidate will require a certain level of nominations / support prior to entering the election? Will it be a first past the post effort - with the candidates with the most votes taking the general member BoD posts? If it is first past the post, will there be an opportunity for us to vote for more than one candidate as I am sure there will be more than one nominee that I would like to see on the BoD? Will there be named posts, and each candidate will be fighting specifically for that post?

The big question here though is who is setting the rules for the elections? Is it Scott and REA? Is it the social funders? Will it be us? The writing of the draft constitution would suggest that the general members are not involved. Will it be a case of - we need to do it this way to attract the funding?

I have long said that the risk in the CIC is going to be in the detail of the constitution. If the constitution is a document fully under the control of the external CIC proposers and the social funders then concerns that we have just handed our club over to people we barely know, who's intentions we barely know could be realised. Sorry not handed our club over to.....bought our club on behalf of.

The election process is a tiny element of the constitution. However, looking just at that you can see the potential pitfalls. We need to be seeing meetings were the detail is discussed openly. What I don't see is why we need to wait until after the takeover happens to start working on the constitution - if we are to get that chance at all?

Sid you criticize directors who tried to make money off the club on one hand then you call for two current profiteers who've already said they are out of ideas to be elected onto the football board. You're psychotherapist must be waiting on your phone call on Monday :rolleyes:

Interesting posts from Sid and Lochwinnoch Saint about me, unfortunately ignoring one rather major thing - I am not trying to be elected to a board as a fan's representative. I therefore am not seeking your approval or your votes.

Sid, you have a lot to say about anything and everything - whatever you think of me, I really couldn't care less. I'm happy in my own mind that my 'involvement' has already provided some tangible results that have been reasonably successful, and otherwise wouldn't have been done. The 'other ideas' I have are in a similar vein to the things I have seen come to fruition already, and 'working well' with GLS and REA is in fact a good thing if it leads to a few more practical and workable ideas seeing the light of day.

Believe me Sid, you can accuse me of anything you want, acting like a cuntcillor, whatever... I simply cannot state how little I care.

Lochwinnoch Saint - the 'different coloured scarf' thing was not my idea or thought. It was mooted by another forum user. I happened to agree with the sentiment expressed, and rightly or wrongly stuck with it while it patently died on its' arse.

If anyone doesn't like the things I've been 'involved in' and may be involved in as time goes on - fair enough. That's fair game. The other stuff, such as me being worse than a cnutcillor etc.... water off a duck's back.

Edited by pozbaird

Sid you criticize directors who tried to make money off the club on one hand then you call for two current profiteers who've already said they are out of ideas to be elected onto the football board. You're psychotherapist must be waiting on your phone call on Monday :rolleyes:

You have no credability when it comes to the current BoD Stu. Your mental issues in that area are well documented. :D

Another requirement for being an elected fans rep should be residence in Renfrewshire. The big deliverable is One town, one club......what message would be sending out having fans reps from wegiescumbagland. Get that into the constitution as well. :)

The BoDs remit is not just the generation of ideas. It is to represent the ideas, concerns, hopes, interests of the fans - to ensure that the guardianship of the club continues. There will be times when their will be a conflict of interests between the Boards and even within the Members BoD, which is going to have representation from the community and corporate members as well as ours. I want fans reps that will not be afraid to fight the fans corner in such situations. We need reps that will not be compromised / corrupted by their own ambition or desire to benefit personally from the relationships built with commercial / community reps or with the CIC board.

If you were to prove that this would apply to SG or GLS then you might have a point to make. The important thing is that the debate happens. At the moment we are sleepwalking into a key period in our clubs history - we saw what happens when key players sleepwalk earlier today. :P

Perhaps, you could shed some light on the draft constitution following all your calls with REA. If not then my point stands - at the moment we have no information regarding the document that will define how the CIC operates, how and who gets elected, what their responsibilities will be in terms of engaging with the members / support, what checks and balances will be in place to avoid a fans rep being compromised, what checks and balances will be in place to provide transparency in any unsavoury relationships / dealings, and ultimately how the members / support get rid of someone who is shite in an emergancy situation - there should be a right to sack upon breech of criteria that we define - otherwise they are not actually our reps - they are just Board members with a general members badge.

If someone from SMiSA has vetted the draft and it is along the right lines for us then this is all moot. If no independent fans have looked at the document objectively and fedback on it then there is a massive leap of faith involved.

I would like to see some detail relating to the draft constitution at least presented to members. Even better make the draft constitution available to all fans for a consultation period starting now. It could be a great document for us already.....however we just don't know. As it stands no one has been able to shed any light on the content of what will be a critical document. I find that a little odd. :)

The title was...

Getting Involved : Who intends to?

It really should not have been difficult to work out what that meant. But, no, yet again St Sid decides to hijack the thread and then SD comes on and inevitably the pair of them are taking pot shots at each other.

This thread is not for showing whichever face suits you this week and it's not even for discussion of what makes a good candidate. It's simply so people who may want to get involved can say so and contact can be made. Amazingly, elsewhere, Sid wants the CIC to inform everyone about the proposals and at the same time can't stay out of a thread long enough to allow it to serve it's purpose.

Obviously there are certain positions on a football board where there is a requirement for particular skills - Secretary and Treasurer would be the two that would immediately spring to my mind. Beyond that I think it's far more important that you have drive, ambition and the time to be able to properly commit more than professional qualifications - particularly when you are operating within a CiC model where you're going to have a set budget.

Look around football clubs in Scotland, are their boardrooms full of people with checked credentials, or are they simply full of people who bought their position or inherited it through shares that were passed on to them? Was Willie Todd endowed with qualifications to help him run a football club? Was John Paton?

The first bit I've highlighted in your post shows exactly why you can neither read nor understand anything of any importance.

I didn't mention professional qualifications. I spoke about direct relevant EXPERIENCE. If you think direct relevant experience for a particular role is not as important as enthusiasm then you are indeed a spoon short of a cutlery drawer. I think we pretty much already know that.

The second bit of your post shows you don't listen either. Poz clairified that he wasn't putting himself forward for a position on the board.

Honestly, I've just put my children to bed and now I have to come on here and breastfeed you as well. It's a hardship I'm telling you.

Edited by oaksoft

Oaky,

You're correct - I am not putting myself up for election to a board. If supporters are to be represented at board level, I can immediately think of four or five individuals who would do a better job than me, and would get my vote. At the last meeting Richard spoke about offering your skills if you wished to - and this is what I hope to get involved with. I am buying into the concept of the CIC being of benefit to the club and community, and have put my name and skill set forward officially, whereas until now, it has been a casual arrangement.

My strength does not lie in being a political animal who fancies an ego boost by getting voted onto a board. It merely lies in having a skill that can be of some benefit - and with the 'Skills Audit' seeking people to come forward - I'm doing so. End of.

Edited by pozbaird

The title was...

It really should not have been difficult to work out what that meant. But, no, yet again St Sid decides to hijack the thread and then SD comes on and inevitably the pair of them are taking pot shots at each other.

This thread is not for showing whichever face suits you this week and it's not even for discussion of what makes a good candidate. It's simply so people who may want to get involved can say so and contact can be made. Amazingly, elsewhere, Sid wants the CIC to inform everyone about the proposals and at the same time can't stay out of a thread long enough to allow it to serve it's purpose.

an unofficial forum full of aliaises is not the place to network when discussing the cic. no offence to this site, its a fantastic resource but certain posters render any meaningful discussion useless. bloated egos, self centred agendas and 'trolling' is all far too common.

For richard atkinson to pay so much attention to these people on here is commendable but it isnt the place. 10000 hours has its own facebook page, a place where members are more likely to be genuine people using their own names, this would be a better place to successfully network and achieve more than have to wade through pages of nonsense posted by the usual sources.

Pretty sure that RA invited suggestions for what should be in the constitution during the second public meeting a few months ago and was open to fans and CIC members having an input into it. If anyone has been in touch with RA since that meeting then who is to say that fans' / CIC members' contributions are not already included in the 22 page draft constitution that was brought to last week's meeting?

Meant to add.

Anyone going for a place on the board without direct relevant experience would be doing so as an ego trip.

In other words they'd be doing it for themselves and not because they genuinely had some proof that they actually would benefit the club.

That is a disqualification issue as far as I am concerned.

Secondly, taking poz as an example. He knows you well enough. He knows he;ll get your complete support right up until the day you go to him with another crackpot idea and he decides not to go with it. At that point he can look forward to 10 years of unsubstantiated shit being thrown at him from you. Just like you did with the current board. You have form and some of us have decent enough memories.

Oaky,

... OK Sid!?

I obviously initially misunderstood exactly what you meant.

What you've described is fair enough.

Not sure the 36 years as a Saints fan is relevant but if you have specific experience AND desire to get involved then great.

See that? I'm granting you permission to go for it. :wink:

You must be so relieved and flattered.

I know that you were secretly awaiting my personal seal of approval. :lol:

The title was...

There are SAD forms being made available for people wanting to submit their skills. What you or I think of their skills is irrelevant? They fill in the form and if their skills are suitable they will be contacted. This thread serves no purpose other than self-publication for REA felchers. :P

Come on guys, let's keep personal attacks off the site please, it's just going to end up in pointless arguments.

I've seen my name mentioned on previous pages, and whiilst I am very flattered to be compared to the Dalai Lama (!) I have said before and say again that I am not interested in sitting on any of the boards at any level within the CIC or the Club itself.

I don't have the time, I don't have the inclination and I'm not sure I'd have an awful lot to offer to be honest.

It would also be a bit of a conflict of interests for me, can you imagine all the exclusives I'd be able to post on the B&W Army homepage B)

I am interested in helping the club and the CIC with technology projects but that would be purely on a business level, as I'd hope to leverage some contacts in the local business community out of any work I did with the club or the CIC.

So there you go, as they say on the Dragons Den, I'm out :D

Pretty sure that RA invited suggestions for what should be in the constitution during the second public meeting a few months ago and was open to fans and CIC members having an input into it. If anyone has been in touch with RA since that meeting then who is to say that fans' / CIC members' contributions are not already included in the 22 page draft constitution that was brought to last week's meeting?

Another vague response all too similar to what we have been seeing. If they have sen the constitution, if they have contributed then why is the constitution nothing more than a few pages whafted around at a meeting - why the lack of transparency?

Let's have some facts and stop all the spurious non-information posts.

I am quietly confident that the constitution will be fine - I would just like to see it made available for consultation with the supporters. At a minimum a presentation on the key points would be useful. The importance of this document should not be underplayed.

Come on guys, let's keep personal attacks off the site please, it's just going to end up in pointless arguments.

I've seen my name mentioned on previous pages, and whiilst I am very flattered to be compared to the Dalai Lama (!) I have said before and say again that I am not interested in sitting on any of the boards at any level within the CIC or the Club itself.

I don't have the time, I don't have the inclination and I'm not sure I'd have an awful lot to offer to be honest.

It would also be a bit of a conflict of interests for me, can you imagine all the exclusives I'd be able to post on the B&W Army homepage B)

I am interested in helping the club and the CIC with technology projects but that would be purely on a business level, as I'd hope to leverage some contacts in the local business community out of any work I did with the club or the CIC.

So there you go, as they say on the Dragons Den, I'm out :D

Good post Div. Apart from the personal attacks bit - they are what makes this forum great. :P

Well, in the current spirit of 'Dragon's Den' talk. after this post - I'm out. There's no CIC yet, there's no constitution, there's no elections and there's no boards. I'm in the same boat as Div, happy to help, and happy to continue to do so. Had my say, took part in the debates - just want to think about the next football match involving my team, and consider our top 6 hopes with defensive weaknesses and a lack of a cutting edge up front.

What I have no further desire for is to be involved in a forum thread in which a certain individual makes strong personal attacks on your motivation and character, says anything unfounded they want, then inevitably plays the 'it's not me saying these things, it's my anonymous internet alias' card.

Had enough, and for that reason - I'm out.

Edited by pozbaird

Meant to add.

Anyone going for a place on the board without direct relevant experience would be doing so as an ego trip.

In other words they'd be doing it for themselves and not because they genuinely had some proof that they actually would benefit the club.

That is a disqualification issue as far as I am concerned.

Oaksoft, that's utter rot.

Look, Scottish Football for the past 30 years has been run by people with loads of "relevant experience" whether you want to look at John Boyle at Motherwell, David Murray at r*ngers, Stewart Milne at Aberdeen, or just about anywhere else - and look at the disastrous pile of shit they've left the game in.

What we need in Scottish Football today is people with a fresh approach. People who have an appreciation of the importance of developing our own (Scottish) talent and who understand that success isn't something that is easily bought. And with St Mirren moving into an era where it is becoming something that is part of a company being run for the benefit of the community it needs people who can think in a very different way.

Sure some positions need specific skills - I've said already that the club secretary and the treasurer are roles that would benifit experience - but beyond 10000hours needs a different approach. Those standing as an ego trip will soon be found out - but there will be plenty out there who have never been involved in a football club, or a business, who will become invaluable within the CiC that is absolutely certain.

As for Poz, I've never offered him my support. All I said was that if he wanted to stand he should ignore your bizarre ravings and stand. I've never met Poz, I don't know Poz and if he wanted my vote he'd have to make his case just like anyone else. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Another vague response all too similar to what we have been seeing. If they have sen the constitution, if they have contributed then why is the constitution nothing more than a few pages whafted around at a meeting - why the lack of transparency?

You were the one suggesting RA and co might impose a constitution on the CIC members without any chance for fans to have a say and you also said why wait until the takeover is complete before starting work on the constitution. Maybe the reason why we didn't sit down and spend a night scrutinising the 22 page draft constitution is because that might be a separate meeting and Thursday night was devoted to updates on where the funding / takeover had reached and hearing from RA, Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott. You weren't complaining about any lack of transparency when you came online after Thursday's meeting.