Mirin

shull

Mirin = Male

Mirren = Female,

or am I mistaken?

Correct, and there never was a Saint Mirren. Paisley's St Mirren Street was re-named after the club following Scottish Cup success in the 1950's. Anyone know why the club adopted the female version of Mirin ?

See if this helps. Do you know where Mirin came from? Bangor, where I live. Nobody is sure where he was born but he was believed to be high born from a well-to-do family. His mother brought him to Bangor Abbey when he was very young to study under Comgal and in time he became prior of the abbey. Later he travelled to Scotland and founded Paisley Abbey. It's believed he was chummy with Columbus and of course in due course they became saints. These guys were not to be interfered with. When they said you better become a Christian, if you disagreed you could be in soapy. They used the bible in one hand and the sword in the other. Sounds vaguely familiar. An early form of terrorism.

When I found that out when I moved over here, I told the guys over here I was doing the reverse journey to bring some badly needed culture. And do you know what the wee tinkers said? They said 'F**K away off back to Paisley ya Scottish twat!'

A lot of made up nonsense by wegiescumbags. St Mirin was Paisley born and bred. Some ancient texts refer to King Roddie as being King Arthur and St Mirn as Merlin.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure my posts will be ripped to shreds by the usual suspects.

Mind you, I'm a shy wee laddie so my posts will be few and far between - unless I'm drunk!!

We are aw friendly buddies together. Your posts will be treated with respect unless you talk pish like Kendo.

Bollocks, you bollocks. Were you on the juice this evening?

Never said it was true.....however, it is well documented in genuine historical texts....unlike the bollox about St Mirren being oirish, which is in fact completely made up to support later kingship arguments consolidated by Scotland and Oirlands sectarianism obssession.

King Riderch I - Rhydderch Hael 'the Generous' - ruled Strathclyde at the time of Kentigern, c AD 600. He is also mentioned by Adamnán as a contemporary of Columba. Riderch appears in Welsh myth and legend as the owner of Dyrnwyn, a magical sword; one of the Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain.

There's shedloads on it. The oirish "legend" has St Mirren coming over from oirland and impressing some "ignorant local cheiftain". That was very much not the case as there were no cheiftains in Paisley. It had been a key economic, religious and cultural centre since before the Roman ages - with King Riderch (Roddie) residing in Paisley as the centre of a nation that went all the way down the west coast of Britain.

See if this helps. Do you know where Mirin came from? Bangor, where I live. Nobody is sure where he was born but he was believed to be high born from a well-to-do family. His mother brought him to Bangor Abbey when he was very young to study under Comgal and in time he became prior of the abbey. Later he travelled to Scotland and founded Paisley Abbey. It's believed he was chummy with Columbus and of course in due course they became saints. These guys were not to be interfered with. When they said you better become a Christian, if you disagreed you could be in soapy. They used the bible in one hand and the sword in the other. Sounds vaguely familiar. An early form of terrorism.

When I found that out when I moved over here, I told the guys over here I was doing the reverse journey to bring some badly needed culture. And do you know what the wee tinkers said? They said 'F**K away off back to Paisley ya Scottish twat!'

Sorry bud, St Mirin didn't found Paisley Abbey, Walter FitzAlan did in 1163. St Mirin may have started a religious community near the site, but the Abbey itself came along much later.

Sorry bud, St Mirin didn't found Paisley Abbey, Walter FitzAlan did in 1163. St Mirin may have started a religious community near the site, but the Abbey itself came along much later.

You're absolutely right Dumbarton_Bud. It was some kind of religious community. I didn't mean to say the Abbey. His community was apparently somewhere around the Hamills on the Cart. There's a model of the community where Mirin was educated in Bangor and he is supposed to have based the one in Paisley on it. Bangor Abbey is built on exactly the site of the old community.

Despite what Sid says, there's a fair old amount of documentation over here which appears to completely back up the fact that Mirin was born over here, possibly in the north of Co.Antrim. Most 'scholars' believe he was definitely Irish and studied under St.Comgall in Bangor.

You're absolutely right Dumbarton_Bud. It was some kind of religious community. I didn't mean to say the Abbey. His community was apparently somewhere around the Hamills on the Cart. There's a model of the community where Mirin was educated in Bangor and he is supposed to have based the one in Paisley on it. Bangor Abbey is built on exactly the site of the old community.

Despite what Sid says, there's a fair old amount of documentation over here which appears to completely back up the fact that Mirin was born over here, possibly in the north of Co.Antrim. Most 'scholars' believe he was definitely Irish and studied under St.Comgall in Bangor.

I can understand how you have been hoodwinked by the sectarian nutter brigade into thinking that is the case. The reality is that there is no such historical documentation. It is all based on a massive lie that there was no christianity in Scotland until oirland saved us all. The historical reality is very different. There is shedloads of archaeological evidence supporting Christianity in Roman Scotland and for it continuing throughout the dark ages. King Riderch is in fact cited as being responsible for putting an end to mysticism and replacing it with Christianity across the kingdoms he united. However christianity was already very much prevalent in Scotland thanks in most part to the romans. The Irish influence on christianity was played up to support certain dodgy royal lines much later in history by the precursers to corrupt c"ntcillors that were monks.

I can understand how you have been hoodwinked by the sectarian nutter brigade into thinking that is the case. The reality is that there is no such historical documentation. It is all based on a massive lie that there was no christianity in Scotland until oirland saved us all. The historical reality is very different. There is shedloads of archaeological evidence supporting Christianity in Roman Scotland and for it continuing throughout the dark ages. King Riderch is in fact cited as being responsible for putting an end to mysticism and replacing it with Christianity across the kingdoms he united. However christianity was already very much prevalent in Scotland thanks in most part to the romans. The Irish influence on christianity was played up to support certain dodgy royal lines much later in history by the precursers to corrupt c"ntcillors that were monks.

Sid, I've never believed the Irish first brought Christianity to Scotland. I thought I hadn't even mentioned anything about religion but I see I did make a whimsical remark about what might happen to you if you didn't go along with what some of the so-called saints suggested.Many of these guys were warriors and trouble makers. If you take St.Columba,we were all told at school how he came from Ireland out of the goodness of his heart to convert Scotsmen to Christianity. There's plenty evidence that he'd been a bit of a troublemaker and he probably got out of Ireland just ahead of the posse. One of his ancestors was Niall Of The Nine Hostages and he was quite a lad.

Getting back to Mirin, I think there is fairly strong evidence that he came from here and was known as Mirin of Benchor, one of Bangor's old names. He was also rumoured to have been Greek. Anyway, it suits me to believe he was from here and unless firmer evidence surfaces you won't change my mind. It would be nice to think Mirin was a really good guy but he was probably as bad as the rest. It's impossible to know how much Christianity they brought with them. I don't know how Columba could spread the word from a tiny remote island.

I've always wondered how Columba and his men spent the long,cold winter nights on Iona. I'm surprised they didn't come up with Buckie before that other lot. I suspect they had to cuddle up for warmth. And have you any idea how missionaries discovered that African people didn't have sex in the missionary position?

I can assure you that the sectarian nutter brigade hoodwinked me about nothing. It was listening to all their crap that made me look at the history of the relationship between Scotland and Ireland.

In the 6th century, Iona was at the centre of a busy world. Not remote, in any sense.

Most travel was by sea. All of that 'Scottish' western seaboard was heavily populated - with the centre of the large and influential Scottii tribe at nearby (in sailing terms) Dalriada, Argyll.

You're right about Columba - a charismatic rich chancer whose family was given the option of a long, ongoing fued with the family of someone he'd murdered; his death or his exile. He chose exile and left Ireland with a heavy team to carve out a new life for themselves. He was tall, charismatic, as mentioned, and had the family influence behind him. The PR was good: tv was well nigh non-existent. The 'word' had no competition and was thus easy to spread (aka 'fill a vaccuum').

In the 6th century, Iona was at the centre of a busy world. Not remote, in any sense.

Most travel was by sea. All of that 'Scottish' western seaboard was heavily populated - with the centre of the large and influential Scottii tribe at nearby (in sailing terms) Dalriada, Argyll.

You're right about Columba - a charismatic rich chancer whose family was given the option of a long, ongoing fued with the family of someone he'd murdered; his death or his exile. He chose exile and left Ireland with a heavy team to carve out a new life for themselves. He was tall, charismatic, as mentioned, and had the family influence behind him. The PR was good: tv was well nigh non-existent. The 'word' had no competition and was thus easy to spread (aka 'fill a vaccuum').

When you say heavily populated do you mean for that era? I would have thought putting figures to any population in those days could be no better than a guess. How did they spread the word? I know they were literate but what about the Scots? If it's word of mouth, how was it done?

Nice to see you're back. Were you away or no weel?

Are you expecting Bluto to answer from memory, Rick? I should point out that even he's not (quite) olde enough to remember. tongue.png

ETA was going to fix the typo but realised it actually works quite well in context

Edited by salmonbuddie

When you say heavily populated do you mean for that era? Of course, I do - but also proportionately for Scotland - this was where a huge amount of humans were. Those areas were more heavily populated then, than NOW.

I would have thought putting figures to any population in those days could be no better than a guess. Aye, but an increasingly very educated one based upon growing knowledge of habitation, crop patterns etc.

How did they spread the word? By mouth.I know they were literate but what about the Scots? By mouth. If it's word of mouth, how was it done? By mouth

Do you think it worked?

The spreading of the word was already happening throughout the British isles. Columba and co were late arrivals. Ninian in Whithorn, cuthbert over east, mirin etc.

Many tongues make light work. Let there be light and there was. Picts in the n And e of Scotland were already adopting xtian ways and when they merged with the dominant scots, their religion went with them.

Most things work given time and patience. : )

Did you get that shite out of the SAGA guidebook? Even the wegiescumbag version of history is better than that. bangin.gif