Monty Panesar

RickMcD

Australia getting humped in India, vpoor top order at present and still lacking a class spinner - England looking strong favourites for The Ashes atm.

England start First Test against NZ on Wednesday - as series go I don't think you can get a greater contrast in conditions between India and NZ. Be intersting to see if England can roll NZ over the way SA did recently.

First Test - Eng vs NZ

Day 1 - No play

Day 2 - England 167, NZ 131-0

Early days but a disappointing start for England down under and over a wee bit.

Definitely poor stuff. If Taylor and McCullum get in among the runs England could be almost out of it by this time tomorrow. The lost day might help them get a draw. I know Pietersen is a great talent but I can't stand him. I almost enjoy seeing him get out. Usually it's his own stupid fault.

The New Zealanders bowled pretty well yesterday, but a lot of the wickets were thrown away by bad shots too.

I like the way the locals enjoy their cricket down there, that ground is lovely and that is the way I like watching the game too. Grassy hill, a picnic, a good book and a bit of cricket, fantastic!

The New Zealanders bowled pretty well yesterday, but a lot of the wickets were thrown away by bad shots too.

I like the way the locals enjoy their cricket down there, that ground is lovely and that is the way I like watching the game too. Grassy hill, a picnic, a good book and a bit of cricket, fantastic!

It looks terrific. I didn't realise what a beautiful country NZ was until I saw Billy Connolly's world tour thingy. Are you allowed a nice cold beer or chilled wine with your picnic?

It looks terrific. I didn't realise what a beautiful country NZ was until I saw Billy Connolly's world tour thingy. Are you allowed a nice cold beer or chilled wine with your picnic?

You can drink yourself stupid at the cricket if you want to. I used to play when Ayr were at Cambusdoon, and I doubt thre was a nicver ground in Scotland at the time, my mum and dad would meet up with some of their friends and just sit and watch the cricket with a huge picnic or barbecue on the go. Absolutely brilliant. You just made a whole day of it.

I watched about 3 or 4 hours of this last night and the word that sprung to mind while watching was sleepy. Sleepy surroundings and sleepy batting by England. It looks as if they'll need a large score in the 2nd innings to save this test.

Its one of the nicer things about touring around these places. New Zealand tests are very laid back. Australia and India/Pakistan are incredibly hostile although the Aussies do it with a bit of humour. The Windies are all caned to f**k on dope and it too is a pretty laid back experience these days. Especially as they arent quite the force they have been. Back in the day the crowd definitely scented blood a lot more than they do now. The Saffies are fairly chilled out too but competitive like Australia but humourless.whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

It's a waste of time trying to explain to non cricket fans what a great draw is but England have just had one. And Monty did a sterling job. Haven't seen the incident yet where he nearly run himself out but I heard Michael Vaughan creasing himself at it on the radio. Matt Prior is a stoatir!

He dived to make his ground but didn't have enough oomph to reach the crease. A secondary wriggle was required to get home. It was quite amusing. Typical Monty.

It's a waste of time trying to explain to non cricket fans what a great draw is but England have just had one. And Monty did a sterling job. Haven't seen the incident yet where he nearly run himself out but I heard Michael Vaughan creasing himself at it on the radio. Matt Prior is a stoatir!

went to Lords last summer for a 1 day international v India.

A cracking day out.

7 hours or so with yer mates, a bit of a natter, some drinks, a bit of banter and every now and again, a bloke throws a ball at another fella and he knocks it away with a lump of wood natter with yer mates, more drinks, bit more banter and a bloke throws the ball again, a natter with yer mates, time for a drink, some more banter and a bloke............

Lunch

a bit of a natter, some drinks, a bit of banter and every now and again, a bloke throws a ball at another fella and he knocks it away with a lump of wood natter with yer mates, more drinks, bit more banter and a bloke throws the ball again, a natter with yer mates, time for a drink, some more banter and a bloke............

I don't know how it's never caught on.. it's the ideal game for Scotsmen that like a swally.

went to Lords last summer for a 1 day international v India.

A cracking day out.

7 hours or so with yer mates, a bit of a natter, some drinks, a bit of banter and every now and again, a bloke throws a ball at another fella and he knocks it away with a lump of wood natter with yer mates, more drinks, bit more banter and a bloke throws the ball again, a natter with yer mates, time for a drink, some more banter and a bloke............

Lunch

a bit of a natter, some drinks, a bit of banter and every now and again, a bloke throws a ball at another fella and he knocks it away with a lump of wood natter with yer mates, more drinks, bit more banter and a bloke throws the ball again, a natter with yer mates, time for a drink, some more banter and a bloke............

I don't know how it's never caught on.. it's the ideal game for Scotsmen that like a swally.

I applied for Ashes tickets for Lords this Summer. Was unsuccessful in the ballot. £150 for a days entertainment is a bit steep mind. I'll do it one day hopefully.

So Monty saves England with the bat for a second time, although normally a bit of a rabbit with the bat he's proved he's got the nerve to see out difficult situations - have to say it reminds me of DVZ's 89TH minute tackle in the LC final. Pedants who quibble about sports fans using 110% to describe a sportsmans performance don't seem to realize that sometimes in extreme circumstances players can exceed their normal level of performance and if the pedants can't understand or accept this then it is they who are the poorer for it not us.

Summer 2013

New Zealand in May, just two Tests. ph34r.png Without KP England's batting line-up looks fragile and Swann won't be available for this series. Although NZ had the better of 2 out of the 3 Tests in the Series just finished I think England will have the guts to produce spicier pitches and have the ability to win the series at home especially if NZ are weakened with their better players contracted to the IPL. I suppose the question is will Monty get a game if the pitches are seamer friendly?

Australia, a five Test Ashes series with Pieterson & Swann expected to be fit & available for England - after Australia's recent mauling in India you'd have to reckon England are strong favourites. Australia look short of players who can make big scores at the start of an Innings and lack a Test class spinner, really you're looking for a turnaround of 1989 proportions when AB brought over the "weakest ever" Australia side. whistling.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

So Monty saves England with the bat for a second time, although normally a bit of a rabbit with the bat he's proved he's got the nerve to see out difficult situations - have to say it reminds me of DVZ's 89TH minute tackle in the LC final. Pedants who quibble about sports fans using 110% to describe a sportsmans performance don't seem to realize that sometimes in extreme circumstances players can exceed their normal level of performance and if the pedants can't understand or accept this then it is they who are the poorer for it not us.

Summer 2013

New Zealand in May, just two Tests. ph34r.png Without KP England's batting line-up looks fragile and Swann won't be available for this series. Although NZ had the better of 2 out of the 3 Tests in the Series just finished I think England will have the guts to produce spicier pitches and have the ability to win the series at home especially if NZ are weakened with their better players contracted to the IPL. I suppose the question is will Monty get a game if the pitches are seamer friendly?

Australia, a five Test Ashes series with Pieterson & Swann expected to be fit & available for England - after Australia's recent mauling in India you'd have to reckon England are strong favourites. Australia look short of players who can make big scores at the start of an Innings and lack a Test class spinner, really you're looking for a turnaround of 1989 proportions when AB brought over the "weakest ever" Australia side. whistling.gif

Yes, looks like a good summer of cricket coming up. I see Swann says he is recovering well and he seems to think he will be OK for the tests against NZ. Sounds almost too good to be true. The Aussies do look a man or two light but back in the 70's the same was said and Lillian Thomson suddenly appeared out of the blue. The Ashes are terrific and I think it will be a good scrap. Here's hoping.

Yes, looks like a good summer of cricket coming up. I see Swann says he is recovering well and he seems to think he will be OK for the tests against NZ. Sounds almost too good to be true. The Aussies do look a man or two light but back in the 70's the same was said and Lillian Thomson suddenly appeared out of the blue. The Ashes are terrific and I think it will be a good scrap. Here's hoping.

Old Lillian was some player.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...