Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 100 in all its glory .....

It is of course the George A Clark Town Hall. A Listed. Built 1882 The architect was W H Lynn of Belfast (obviously TG was too closely associated with the Coats family :) ).

Originally to be funded by public subscription the Clark family stepped in and paid for the lot and named it after George who had recently died in America. All original donations were returned.

Renfrewshire Council info if you fancy hiring it ...

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/webcontent/home/services/community+and+living/life+events/registration+service/cs-pmcd-paisley-town-hall

As most of you know the building is covered in green cladding due to its £1.6M refurbishment. From a distance it looks ok but I was in the building recently and its pretty shabby in the inside and parts of the outside also look pretty poor when viewed close up. The renovation should be complete for the Mod next year. I will post some internal shots in the next day or two.

post-2737-0-23759500-1348678368_thumb.jp

Some internal shots of the George A Clark Town Hall...

I have only been in the Town Hall a couple of times in my life. The last time was a beer festival some years back. Am sure I was in it as a kid but cannot remember the event just a vague recollection of being there.

post-2737-0-34354200-1348913597_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-91147800-1348913637_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-21924400-1348913711_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-92660100-1348913747_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-07928500-1348913839_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-64381700-1348913882_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-13442200-1348913916_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

It's a brilliant interior.

Siderooms were used as changing rooms for the 10k in the past and I took several tourists into the main hall to be amazed at the start of the 'summer'.

I went there many times for different functions before I left Paisley. Concerts, and Boxing, too.

Some internal shots of the George A Clark Town Hall...

I have only been in the Town Hall a couple of times in my life. The last time was a beer festival some years back. Am sure I was in it as a kid but cannot remember the event just a vague recollection of being there.

Great photos, Sonny, absolutely cracking thumbup2.gif.

Regarding your third photo "paisley7-4" with the Paisley Coat of Arms - I've always preferred the way it has a white box at either end of the middle row. It makes it look more even and balanced compared to the Club Badge which looks like someone's just added on a wee white box at the left-hand side of the middle row.

Indeed, Bluto. When I did a temporary job with the Council, I worked at the Town Hall for a week for a special local services event and in the weeks leading up to it we were taken in a couple of days a week and given a tour of the whole building to familiarise ourselves with it and memorise everything from Fire Escapes to where different rooms where for different organisations and how to show people to where they were supposed to go and learn bits and pieces about the building to answer some basic questions regarding its history. Sadly I can't remember most of it and no one told me about this:-

I went there many times for different functions before I left Paisley. Concerts, and Boxing, too.

I hadn't known Boxing had taken place. I knew there had been Concerts and theatrical type shows but never knew about the Boxing so thanks for that one too!

I hadn't known Boxing had taken place. I knew there had been Concerts and theatrical type shows but never knew about the Boxing so thanks for that one too!

Still takes place Obi - Saltire Boxing have their next amateur fight night on 6th October, and a professional night later in the month.

I used to go to the town hall every Tuesday after school for dance classes with Helen Young. It was a great place to explore, especially the long corridors leading to the back stage area, I probably saw more behind the scenes than the public are used to as we always used the door opposite the Piazza and the room overlooked the river.

Siderooms were used as changing rooms for the 10k in the past and I took several tourists into the main hall to be amazed at the start of the 'summer'.

I used to think that it was part magnificent and part dowdy but admittedly haven't been in it for years. Never saw a boxing match in it but I did see George Kidd wrestle. There was a true Scottish world champion who really could wrestle. His skill had to be seen to be believed.

If you remember the day we lifted the cup in 1987, the real ale festival was on. A mate of mine from Greenock was apparently just leaving to go home when the boys came back with the cup and the blokes inside were told they couldn't leave yet. Can you imagine a crowd of Greenock men locked in a beer festival? They though they had died and gone to heaven.

the lomond airport hotel it's called, across from the fives pitches on new sneddon, used to be able to get a drink there before the game, what was it called then ?

Aye,so it is.

They used to do a hospitality package for Love St.Think It was lunch and all you could drink for £15.:o It was Radio Clydes "eye in the sky" Captain George that owned it at the time.

Welcome Sam. You still have a lot of reading to do if you are starting on Page 1 :) . But please give us your thoughts or memories on anything featured. That goes for anyone who hasn't been following from when this thread started.

Welcome Sam. You still have a lot of reading to do if you are starting on Page 1 smile.png . But please give us your thoughts or memories on anything featured. That goes for anyone who hasn't been following from when this thread started.

Give him a chance, it's his first computer.whistling.gif

Well done Buddiecat and HSS.

Picture 101 is now called the Lomond Airport Hotel and is situated in New Sneddon St. For most of its life it was (is) known as Adelphi House but initially was called Beauchamp House.

B Listed and built in the early 1800's. The Listed Buildings Register states the house was built around 1800 and is on a map of 1822 but the blurb of the hotel states it was built in 1824. However the hotel owners may exaggerate a little as their customers appear not to agree with the hotel's lavish description of itself ....(B Fawlty, Manager)

https://plus.google....607/about?hl=en

At some point it was owned by a Thomas Twigg who owned a nearby Cotton Mill. This interesting article gives the hours of his workers - 12 Hours a day Mon to Fri and only 9 Hours on a Saturday (hurrah for management and no St Mirren for you lot!)

http://books.google....paisley&f=false

For all the years I went to Love St I never parked there but I am sure many of you will remember it as the street was always packed on match days.

post-2737-0-00668300-1349454709_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Guest somner9

CLUE for PICTURE 101. Some of you may recognise it from a few years back!

It's the Low-End Arsehole of a Hotel......

stayed there couple of years ago, blue vermin topped thug behaind bar, with blue vermin game on telly, aw the blue vermin/managers mates round drinking all saturday night, naebody in kitchen or anywhere to be found at breakfast next morning save for one guy still half jaked wandering around in his boxers, munching cornflakes.

Oh aye and a big feckin rottweiler that the blue vermin orc lets stick its nose in yer crotch as you check in.

Probably the same architect, then as the Anchor Mills in Oldham - going by their windaes!

Check oot the Bangla culture!

http://www.oldham-ch...for-anchor-mill

IMHO the Sir James Clark building is much uglier than that one (although that could be down to the red brick paint they've used to paint it the the peeling silver backing coming off the windows.

ETA: it looks fine from a distance.

Edited by Eddy