Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

There's still a club up there bluto,The Glenfield if I'm not mistaken.

I'd forgotten the Ogilvy club was up there. Do you know anything about this Glenfield club? Seems the wrong end of town to have a name like that. Did it have anything to do with the Glen works, I wonder?

i know the glenvale club is up there - accessed by the rear close stairway, it's glenvale amateur fc club, i was in it last year it's a bit of a dump now, but it doesn't have windows on the coffin end though

Glenvale........aye,that's it.Nobody mentioned it having windows at the Coffin End end though.Just said it was above the Tartan Rose.

Glenvale........aye,that's it.Nobody mentioned it having windows at the Coffin End end though.Just said it was above the Tartan Rose.

bluto said it looks lie a flat, i'm assuming he was talking about the photo on here, anyway it's a dump now theres holes in the floor etc, think they are suffering just as much or even more than pubs are nowadays

I've recognised every single building Sonny has shown us. At least I did after Sonny or somebody else told us what it was. I got a few of the earlier ones but I've been hopeless ever since. My excuse is that I've been away for thirty years but I know at least one guy who has been away longer and seems to know them all. I'll have to take a wee daunder roon next time I'm back to refresh my memory.

Got the last one because of Bluto's 'coughing' clue and could have kicked myself for not getting it myself. Keep this going, Sonny. Us ex-pats love it.

Many years ago The Tartan Rose was called The Rosebud. I once arranged to meet someone in there called Jake - someone I did not know and had only spoken to on the phone. When I wandered into the pub it reminded me of a 1960's John Wayne movie. All the locals stopped talking and stared at me as I walked to the bar. I said to the barman that I was looking for Jake. About half the pub started to stand up. The barman said 'Who wants to know?'. I didnt know whether to just run at this point or continue the conversation or even want to meet Jake as I was selling him some tickets and was now thinking that I would not see any money nor my tickets. I said I had arranged to meet him and one guy shouts across 'I'm Jake'. Turns out the guy was ok and we concluded the sale but I was shitting myself for that first few minutes. Never went near that pub again. Strangers went definitely not welcome. :)

i know the glenvale club is up there - accessed by the rear close stairway, it's glenvale amateur fc club, i was in it last year it's a bit of a dump now, but it doesn't have windows on the coffin end though

The Glenvale...

Considering its position, I'd imagine that the club committee are punting it as a pre-fitba opporchancity to imbibe?

Both sides could benefit... Or is it TOO grubby and rundown?

Bar point is too rammed for me.

Many years ago The Tartan Rose was called The Rosebud. I once arranged to meet someone in there called Jake - someone I did not know and had only spoken to on the phone. When I wandered into the pub it reminded me of a 1960's John Wayne movie. All the locals stopped talking and stared at me as I walked to the bar. I said to the barman that I was looking for Jake. About half the pub started to stand up. The barman said 'Who wants to know?'. I didnt know whether to just run at this point or continue the conversation or even want to meet Jake as I was selling him some tickets and was now thinking that I would not see any money nor my tickets. I said I had arranged to meet him and one guy shouts across 'I'm Jake'. Turns out the guy was ok and we concluded the sale but I was shitting myself for that first few minutes. Never went near that pub again. Strangers went definitely not welcome. smile.png

Unbelievably, Sonny, I had a very similar experience in the same establishment. I had been playing snooker in the Liberal Club with two guys I worked with. When we came out one of my mates wanted to go up towards the west end to see if he could find an old pub he once visited. He was a Glaswegian and didn't know Paisley well. Couldn't find the pub and the rain started peeing down so we dived in the nearest pub. The Rosebud. I didn't realise what a dive it was. Your description of the locals reaction being like something from a western movie was spot on. The only thing you missed out was the guy playing the piano while wearing a top hat stopping playing and turning round to look. We had gone straight from the office and were wearing suits, collars and ties so you can imagine how much we stood out. We got more or less surrounded by a bunch of gorillas that would frighten the shit out of you. We got the 'Whit's a crowd of f***ing poofs like youse wantin' in here?' I really thought we were in big diffs. For once I had a bit of inspiration. Out of nowhere I remembered that distant cousins of mine drank in there. The Docherty boys from Feegie. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you may have heard of them. Big Rab was one of the hardest men in Paisley and it's fair to say he was no stranger to the polis. I took a chance and said I was hoping to meet my cousin. 'And who the f**k's your cousin?', asked the biggest nastiest gorilla. I crossed my fingers and everything else I could and told them 'Rab Docherty'. There was a stunned silence and suddenly a big change in attitude. Suddenly they were delighted to meet me and actually offered to buy us a drink! I don't like to think what could have happened if I had got that wrong.

I last saw Rab, Robert to me, at my mother's funeral and not long afterwards he died suddenly at a car showroom at the Phoenix. His older brother Philip died in July this year and it was mentioned in the PDE.

Played against the Rosebud Pool team many times.

They were topdogs in the Paisley & District league.

Our team never won a match in their place.

I wisnae disappointed at losing in there.

Very intimidating place.

Very intimidating place.

I would have cried off saying I was sick or if I really had to play I'd have let my opponent win. Mind, the way I play pool I would get stuffed anyway.

Guest somner9

I would have cried off saying I was sick or if I really had to play I'd have let my opponent win. Mind, the way I play pool I would get stuffed anyway.

Cannae mind who telt me or if it was an urban myth, a friend called into the rosebud for a quick pint, having just secured the fish suppers and waiting on the bus tae foxbar. he asked a well to do local chappie to mind the fish suppers whilst he went to the gents. on his return his pint was gone, and various locals were finishing off a healthy portion of fish & chips.

He asked the guy had he seen who took his pint and fish suppers? "Naw" says he stuffing the last chips away. I think after that he just waited at the bus stop.

Very intimidating place.

i used to play darts in the p and d league and had to play at the rosebud, nobody ever beat them as they paid there players FFS and also they never paid for drinks, this ensured they got all the top players , one of our team had his darts nicked from right in front of his face one night in the bud and couldn't say a thing as the bassas in there were all waiting for an excuse to start a fight - nasty pub

Very intimidating place.

Did you ever play for the Park bar? .....I did and won a few there. Well known Rosebud tactics were to hing the pockets.....lol

My apologies for the delay in posting PICTURE 106 - very busy these days.

PICTURE 106 is probably the newest building in this thread (built in 1992) as an exact copy of the previous Art Deco frontage to the Picture House built in 1912. B Listed. The Picture House was one of 11 Cinemas in Paisley and the Methodist Central Hall and the Town Hall also showed films at some point. Paisley was a film-mad town before tvs kept us indoors, isolated and couch potatoed.

The Picture House was very ornamental is its heyday but deteriorated greatly before converting to a Bingo Hall about 1970 and finally closing in 1980. Like some other Cinemas in Paisley it had a long entrance into the Cinema where people could queue out of the rain and not blocking the High St.

Some old photos in this link ....

http://www.scottishc...cturehouse.html

So surely some of you guys have a wee story to tell about the Picture House?

post-2737-0-90975200-1352824176_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Aye... And there was a big picture hoose thread on here in years past- more info there, I think.

As you walked along what is now the mall from that entrance, just after the bend to the left there was a quite big fountain, dominating a large internal space. Decorated, iirc, swags of curtains and plastered pillars- but not bright, dowdy.. Mibe it was already in stress.

In 50s and 60s, the successful cinemas were Kelbourne regal la scala, in div 1

This, the auld high street, the west end + New Alex , div 2

And in div 3 was Palladium and

Astoria was not even creeping into that.

And at that point was where they sold sweeties, butterkist, Kia-ora etc

On a wee bit more, and stairs led down to the doors leading intae the auditorium itself

Eta

Just looked at the pix in the link,

The colour pix, the one with steps, 2nd from right looks to have been taken from where the fountain was.

Edited by bluto

Think I'm a few years younger than you, bluto, the only ones aI remember from my childhood are this one (mainly for the fountain, don't remember any films i saw there) and the 3 "Div 1" cinemas you mention (wasn't it "Kelburn" rather than "Kelbourne" tho' - where's a pedant when you really need one smile.png )

Think I'm a few years younger than you, bluto, the only ones aI remember from my childhood are this one (mainly for the fountain, don't remember any films i saw there) and the 3 "Div 1" cinemas you mention (wasn't it "Kelburn" rather than "Kelbourne" tho' - where's a pedant when you really need one smile.png )

I think you'll find it's actually Kelburne lol.gif

Nil Points for attempting to 'out-pedant' the pedant there Salmonbuddie.

Edited by Eddy