Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 112 is Paisley Library. I think HSS wins the clue this time smile.png . A Listed (the Library not HSS). Built in 1871. Peter Coats put up the money and John Honeyman was the architect. Some more info here ... http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/webcontent/home/services/leisure+and+culture/heritage+and+local+history/els-jh-centrallibraryhistory?history

The Library initially proved so popular it was extended a couple of times with TG involved in work in 1913. James Coats paid for the first major extension in 1902. If I remember right this was either the first or one of the first Public Libraries in the UK.

Edited to add: I was so disappointed when I was in on Doors Open Day that the upstairs was no longer open to the public. That used to be the Children's Library and I spent many a time browsing around it as a boy.

post-2737-0-88581700-1357666781_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-75022600-1357666821_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I went to the 8th Paisley Brownies here! It's another of Paisley's stunning looking buildings when you actually take the time to look at it, unfortunately most people are too busy driving by.

It is indeed a fine example of English Perpendicular Gothic revival.

The building has been mentioned in passing but no image of it has appeared here. I'll maybe post a list of all locations shown until now to help avoid confusion or trailing back through nearly 100 pages to check. Go on Bluto - give us a clue :)

The building has been mentioned in passing but no image of it has appeared here. I'll maybe post a list of all locations shown until now to help avoid confusion or trailing back through nearly 100 pages to check. Go on Bluto - give us a clue smile.png

OK I know a man who was/is in their indoors bools team. :rolleyes:

Not enough?

OK...

My cousin used to live almost next door - close enough to be bricking it.

OK I know a man who was/is in their indoors bools team. rolleyes.gif

Not enough?

OK...

My cousin used to live almost next door - close enough to be bricking it.

ah did we mention a walled garden at this location previously ?

got it now, tile bar bus members should all know this one

Edited by buddiecat

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys. Haven't forgotten about you - just been busy. HSS has offered you something in the meantime :) . This is a guess - out towards Glasgow?

PICTURE 113 is the Wallneuk Church. B Listed. Built 1912-1915 and designed by the great TG himself.

From their website at ... http://www.wallneuknorthchurch.org.uk/

'In April 1913, the then Synod of Glasgow of the United Free Church of Scotland elected Wallneuk into a charge, thus was created the last United Free Church in the town of Paisley.

The congregation dates from 1913 although the roots are much older. Before 1913 there were local men and women in the immediate area who met regularly for prayer and meditation on the Word of God.

The name Wallneuk is woven into local history as according to tradition the land on which the church is built was the neuk (corner) of the garden of Abbot of Paisley.

The halls were completed and opened in May 1912 while the main church building was completed during the First World War being opened in the autumn of 1915.'

post-2737-0-99989000-1358537130_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 114 is the West School (or now the West Primary School) in Maxwellton St. Built in 1938 and to my mild surprise is not Listed (thought it would be a C). Has a nice art deco-ish exterior. I am sure there must be plenty of stories about this place.

A nice wee reminisce of growing up in the West End here ....http://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-people/buddies-tale/ although I spotted one error in it. Anyone else spot it?

post-2737-0-63377600-1359464525_thumb.jp

PICTURE 115 CLUE attached. This is difficult. You will only recognise it if you have been there and that is unlikely for most. The only time I saw this building was the day I photographed it. However it is a magnificent building like many tucked away out of sight.

post-2737-0-11979500-1359465072_thumb.jp