Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 114 is the West School (or now the West Primary School) in Maxwellton St. Built in 1938 and to my mild surprise is not Listed (thought it would be a C). Has a nice art deco-ish exterior. I am sure there must be plenty of stories about this place.

A nice wee reminisce of growing up in the West End here ....http://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-people/buddies-tale/ although I spotted one error in it. Anyone else spot it?

Yankie mags was on Walker street?

PICTURE 115 CLUE attached. This is difficult. You will only recognise it if you have been there and that is unlikely for most. The only time I saw this building was the day I photographed it. However it is a magnificent building like many tucked away out of sight.

Is it Leverndale? Nope don't think it is.

Edited by insaintee

Yankie mags was on Walker street?

Yes Insaintee. I loved going up to Walker St on a Saturday morning. My mother would start her shopping going up the right side of Well St (from the bottom) with the Co-op on Broomlands usually the furthest point on the shopping trip. We came down the right side which had most of the shops we went to. If I was lucky I could persuade her to visit Yankee Mags for a few minutes (after all I was carrying the said shopping bags). Mostly we didnt have any money to buy comics but I would check out what there was so that when a few pence came along I had an idea what to buy. Loved that place.

And unless Leverndale has moved to Paisley then it would not be considered :)

Yes Insaintee. I loved going up to Walker St on a Saturday morning. My mother would start her shopping going up the right side of Well St (from the bottom) with the Co-op on Broomlands usually the furthest point on the shopping trip. We came down the right side which had most of the shops we went to. If I was lucky I could persuade her to visit Yankee Mags for a few minutes (after all I was carrying the said shopping bags). Mostly we didnt have any money to buy comics but I would check out what there was so that when a few pence came along I had an idea what to buy. Loved that place.

And unless Leverndale has moved to Paisley then it would not be considered smile.png

Ok in that case not a clue.

And unless Leverndale has moved to Paisley then it would not be considered smile.png

Usually from the shapes and stones, I have a glimmer of an idea where I've seen building and I let it stew.... at least till someBuddie gie's me a clue....

but not a scooby where this might be...

:unsure:

If thats a clue Bluto its too cryptic for me and I know what the builing is! You will have to explain later. Just when I thought I was understanding your clues as well...... sad.png

Naw... no clue... honest bafflement. Relatively clean stones, so not in direct line of pollution in the past, maybe West End. Big sky behind and looking north at it, I think, so up a hill.... Oakshaw or Castleheid/Brodie... dunno... :unsure:

could you no move that tree oot the way so we could see it better?

if the pic was taken from a higher point then the bg would mibbe help us...

Ok lets think about this one. What do we know blond sand stone, baronail style with a crowstep gable and fake turrets. It has curtains in the window suggesting that its a domestic bulilding, but thats a big expanse of slate to the side looks too big to be a domestic bulilding. The style is reminisant of the stable blocks at Ferguslie. My first guess would have been on Orr Street Church but I dont think it is. Still tending to a hospital? Is there an old block at Hawkhead?

Naw... No Orr Square, far from blonde enough. I thought hawkhead, too but that's much later architecture... I've not been in at Dykebar, though....

Honest.

Was that built around an older building like this?

Eta: a thought from there... is the Craw Road annexe still standing? Made into flats...?

Edited by bluto

Naw... No Orr Square, far from blonde enough. I thought hawkhead, too but that's much later architecture... I've not been in at Dykebar, though....

Honest.

Was that built around an older building like this?

Eta: a thought from there... is the Craw Road annexe still standing? Made into flats...?

Thought we already had Dykebar. but don't think the style is right anyway. It could be one of the big houses to the south. But Sonny's clue suggests a hospital (or Jail). And tucked away? is that a clue? It looks familiar and I have a feeling I'm goingto be kicking myself, but I am truly stumped.

Come on Sonny better clues required.

Well done HSS. Picture 115 is 'Crosbie' situated off Balgonie Ave. A Listed nonetheless!

Built in 1901 with the Architect being TG. He designed it for his sister and brother-in-law George V Boyd. Boyd may have been a banker but I am unable to confirm this.

It being a private home with a long driveway I had to take the shot from the gate but it looks a great building. The more I come across TG's work the more impressed I am by his greatness and his contribution to Paisley. I think a wee statue is called for. Maybe I'll write a book about him :)

post-2737-0-27613500-1359558912_thumb.jp

Well done HSS. Picture 115 is 'Crosbie' situated off Balgonie Ave. A Listed nonetheless!

An educated guess Sonny but your clue about it being tucked away helped.I never knew the building existed until I started taxi-ing,it is indeed a hidden gem.

I'll stick that other picture up later.