Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I think the MB would be the church hall to the left/west of the kirk, itself. I was in the 23rd lifeboys then BB for a couple of years and we used the Storie Street halls - and i was in the weans Sunday school upstairs,

Never did I hear that being called the MB..

I'll ask...

Paisley uni have a hall called the Brough Hall, I wonder if its connected?

Googling "Brough Hall, Oakshaw" gives results for accommodation for rental by exam assesors, @ 57 Oakshaw so looks as if the building may have been converted to flats? (If Brough Hall equates to Margaret Brough Memorial Hall that is!)

Edited by Eddy

PICTURE 55 featured the Peter Brough Nursing Home in Oakshaw. Originally the Broughs had an estate in Oakshaw where the Nursing Home now stands. Peter Brough was a great Paisley philanthropist and contributed with the Coats family to the building of the original paisley tech in George St and the Brough Hall in the new building is named after him. That still leaves the question - where is the Margaret Brough Memorial Hall?

Good link HSS but the clock featured as PIC 118 has been around for a long time and is not mentioned on the interesting thread you posted a link to. But Bluto knows where it is :)

I wasn't suggesting your clock was in the old thread Sonny,just thought it an apt thread for this topic.

PICTURE 55 featured the Peter Brough Nursing Home in Oakshaw. Originally the Broughs had an estate in Oakshaw where the Nursing Home now stands. Peter Brough was a great Paisley philanthropist and contributed with the Coats family to the building of the original paisley tech in George St and the Brough Hall in the new building is named after him. That still leaves the question - where is the Margaret Brough Memorial Hall?

56 Oakshaw was never a nursing home. In fact, it was a nurses' home where district nurses who were not locally based lived. It later became student accommodation and, now, flats.

56 Oakshaw was never a nursing home. In fact, it was a nurses' home where district nurses who were not locally based lived. It later became student accommodation and, now, flats.

I am aware of that and this was discussed when that building was originally featured (image 55). However it is called the Peter Brough District Nursing Home.

post-2737-0-85746000-1361720572_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I don't get this - if it bores you, don't read it, other people enjoy it and they're doing no-one any harm. Not saying you don't have the right or any of that stuff, and not trying to start a fight, but the thread's interesting (for some) so I'm not sure what you think you're adding?

a wee bit of humour, i am a regular poster on this thread, and if you don't like what i post - don't read it, and just what exactly are you adding ?

The Margaret Brough hall- I said I'd ask someone who knew:

"The Margaret Brough Hall was where I went to Sunday school every Sunday morning for monies a year. Upstairs for junior Sunday school, which I actually enjoyed - we did a lot of happy clappy singing - my teacher was Miss Magdalene Young who was lovely and I cried when I had to leave her to go doonstairs to the senior Sunday school, which was much more serious and which was presided over by Mr Burt, who to me at the tender age of about 10 or 11 was a very stern man I was always afraid of. Gordon and I met there when we were but weans and I well remember singing 'in an out the dusty bluebells - pitter pitter patter on your shoulder etc etc' at the Sunday school Christmas parties whilst our Mums blethered and had a wee cuppa tea.

I also went to the Girl Guides there and tea and coffee were served in the hall eftir the kirk on a Sunday morning.

When walking up the brae towards the Orr Square Church the Margaret Brough Hall was/is? situated to the left of the church and was linked to the church by the vestry and the choir room. Gordon well remembers that as he used to sing in the church choir - wee angel that he is!!

As for the architect I don't have a clue, but I'm sure my Dad or Papa would have been able to answer that question.

The church did have a link with the hall in Storie Street and the kids from there used to come to our church social events. That hall was always referred to as 'The Storie Street Hall' and nothing else. Gordon says the BB met in that hall and the band practiced there - you were in the BB band weren't you? Do you not remember that?

Hope this helps - aye....... innocent days and happy memories".

I was their Best Man in there - and she's still calling it "happy memories"! :)

a wee bit of humour, i am a regular poster on this thread, and if you don't like what i post - don't read it, and just what exactly are you adding ?

Well it didn't take long to read, I'd assimilated it before I knew what was happening!

As I said, didn't want to start a fight over it, I didn't get the humour in it and was genuinely puzzled as to the motivation behind the post, no offence was intended.

PICTURE 118 is the Kelburne Pavilion at Whitehaugh Oval.

The sports grounds were opened there in 1889 but I don't know if the Pavilion dates to that year. The Cricket Club website has hee-haw about its History. The Hockey Club has a lot more information that can be found here......

http://hockey.kelburne.com/history

I remember spending a delightful day there many years ago. A friend was a member of Ferguslie and at his request a few us went to Kelburne for some sort of sports day involving cricket I think The day is a bit of a blur of cheap black & tans and fair maidens. A wee happy memory of Whitehaugh. :)

post-2737-0-84928500-1361986926_thumb.jp

Looks like a 1930's concrete structure with pea pebble dashed render. Thomas Tait was building stuff like this in paisley. Mostly social housing (Think he did the truly wonderful Hunterhill scheme). and the infectious disease hospital. Although the photo suggests an open pavilion I think it is a open balcony at the hospital. In the thirties they were very keen on fresh air, and I'm not sure they were wrong.