Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Looks like a 1930's concrete structure with pea pebble dashed render. Thomas Tait was building stuff like this in paisley. Mostly social housing (Think he did the truly wonderful Hunterhill scheme). and the infectious disease hospital. Although the photo suggests an open pavilion I think it is a open balcony at the hospital. In the thirties they were very keen on fresh air, and I'm not sure they were wrong.

I thought it more redolent of the buildings being built around me when I was a boy, in Barr Street, late 50s. I was thinking it was maybe George Court or West Buchanan Place.

It's mibbe more 60s council architecture...

Eta:

Though my first thought was Piazza ... Or its bus station.

Also... I suspect buddiecat's post to be a hint that's going WHOOSH at me... :(

Eta again. That "clue"... Is it near multi-Storie street?

Edited by bluto

I thought it more redolent of the buildings being built around me when I was a boy, in Barr Street, late 50s. I was thinking it was maybe George Court or West Buchanan Place.

It's mibbe more 60s council architecture...

Eta:

Though my first thought was Piazza ... Or its bus station.

Also... I suspect buddiecat's post to be a hint that's going WHOOSH at me... sad.png

Eta again. That "clue"... Is it near multi-Storie street?

not near storie street

I'll wait for Sunny's comments but I think I'll stick with the infectious disease hospital for now. Not getting Buddiecats clue either. My first thought were also social housing and I had though about the modern tenements at foxbar with tiled doorways (did they have open stair wells too?) I also wondered if it was the shelter/bandstand at Barshaw park (now flats). But I really do think it is the hospital,

Eh?

I was agreeing with your 1960s council architecture quote - it looks like the council headquarters car park - it's got a ceiling like an upturned egg box, but I don't remember any of the blue tiles, so maybe it's something built around the same time?

I was agreeing with your 1960s council architecture quote - it looks like the I council headquarters car park - it's got a ceiling like an upturned egg box, but I don't remember any of the blue tiles, so maybe it's something built around the same time?

The blue tiles are close to another tile. Edited by HSS

PICTURE 118 is the Kelburne Pavilion at Whitehaugh Oval.

The sports grounds were opened there in 1889 but I don't know if the Pavilion dates to that year. The Cricket Club website has hee-haw about its History. The Hockey Club has a lot more information that can be found here......

http://hockey.kelburne.com/history

I remember spending a delightful day there many years ago. A friend was a member of Ferguslie and at his request a few us went to Kelburne for some sort of sports day involving cricket I think The day is a bit of a blur of cheap black & tans and fair maidens. A wee happy memory of Whitehaugh. :)

Aye... I now know why you said I'd know...

Did I post up a pic of the Camphill cricket team sitting there... But thought it was the Anchor?

Well just like the BBC I don’t give out prizes but if I did the latest winner would be Insaintee who correctly identified one of Paisley’s best kept secrets. The Clue for PICTURE 119 is from an image of Wards 7 & 8 at Hawkhead Infectious Diseases Hospital – A Listed. Built 1932. Architect was the famous Architect from Paisley Thomas S Tait. Speciality is Art Deco.

I will also include two more Buildings in this ’PICTURE’ – Hawkhead Hospital Admin Block – B Listed. And Ross House - B Listed. I am including both these other buildings as it is not easy for the public to see any of them so identification is difficult. (Being a resourceful Buddie I managed to obtain these images smile.png )

From Historic Scotland …

Paisley Burgh Council acquired the site on the Hawkhead Estate for the new infectious dieases hospital in 1932. A competition was held for the design which was awarded to Sir John Burnet, Tait and Lorne in 1933, the firms Royal Masonic Hospital at Ravenscourt in London was newly completed to international acclaim.

Tait further explored this style at Hawkhead and included this pioneering cubical isolation block, a new development in ward design in which different types of infectious diseases could be treated within the same ward for the first time. The hospital was officially opened on 7 July 1936 and provided 181 beds for patients together with staff accommodation. The external finish to the buildings was originally
"Brizolit", a finer textured rough-cast designed not to crack or craze. Photographs of the buildings published in the booklet to accompany the official opening show that the blocks were bright and white originally, this was set off by the turquoise, green, yellow and blck tile work.

Thomas Tait

Born in 1882 in Paisley, the son of a master stonemason, he was educated at the John Neilson Institution, following which he entered apprenticeship as an architect with James Donald in Paisley. Tait went on to Glasgow School of Art where he studied under the Beaux Arts teacher Eugene Bourdon. He travelled extensively in Europe between 1904 and 1905, before settling in London where he joined the prestigious architectural practice of Sir John James Burnet. In 1910 he married Constance Hardy, the daughter of a London stationmaster, and they set up home at 26 Holyoake Walk in Ealing. Together they had three sons; the eldest, Gordon, born in 1912, later became an architect himself, and worked with his father on
the designs for the Glasgow Empire Exhibition of 1938.

In June 1913 Tait sat and passed the RIBA's qualifying exam and was admitted ARIBA in September 1913, with the influential backing of Burnet, Theodore Fyfe and Herbert Vaughan
Lanchester as proposers.
His former dwelling at Gates House, Wyldes Close, Hampstead Garden Suburb London NW11 has been marked with a Blue Plaque by English Heritage.

More on Thomas S Tait here ...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_S._Tait

PICTURE 119 ...

WARDS 7 AND 8, FORMER CUBICLE ISOLATION BLOCK: pioneering cubicle isolation ward block with typical 1930s details flat-roofed and streamlined on gently sloping site. T-plan. Symmetrical. S-facing cubilces each have doors giving access to verandah on ground floor and sun-balcony at 1st floor.

The map shows the layout. However access and viewing are very restricted at the moment. Keir Homes are building new homes on the site whilst The Burrell Company are allegedly renovating the Listed Buildings. However no work has taken place on them recently and all 3 are on the 'At Risk' Register.

http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/900136

http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/915556

The last image is the Porters Block and Waiting Room - the first building on your left going up Accord Rd. (why not Tait Rd?).

post-2737-0-56221300-1362355115_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-82334600-1362355142_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-29737700-1362355802_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-72059400-1362356147_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-85710200-1362358491_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-52364600-1362358542_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-62969800-1362359129_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

And now ROSS HOUSE .....

New nurses home building. Long 4-storey, U-plan, flat roofed building with concrete coping. Ochre brick.

Built as the new nurses' home for the projected Paisley Maternity Hospital, later built on the Riccartsbar site. The plans for a new maternity hospital site were first drawn up before the 2nd World War, but were revised to suit post war conditions and shortage of materials. In the end, only the nurses' home was built of the scheme which would have more than doubled the hospital accommodation on the site. (Historic Scotland)

One of the images was taken in the 60s I believe which shows Ross House in its heyday. The other images shows what it is like now - as you can see access is rather restricted :) .

I have attached some images from the Burrell Company on how they hope it will all look if they ever get round to completing the work ....

post-2737-0-98938900-1362357164_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-32921800-1362357248_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-82281300-1362357290_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-32762700-1362357418_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-08927300-1362357437_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-21142400-1362357449_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-10889900-1362357476_thumb.jp

Did anyone ever tell Tait, that it looks like a crappy car park? whistling.gif:

smile.png Thank goodness we all have different tastes and opinions. - makes life more interesting.

Personally I am a great fan of Art Deco and would love to have visited the Hospital in its heyday - as a visitor and not as a patient I may add! I am sure I came across some photos a while back of when it first opened but can no longer find them. I hope the Burrell Company get their finger out and start work soon on their refurbishment and don't have a plan B like many 'developers' in Paisley ie let a building rot then have it demolished.

We should be proud to have a Tait building in Paisley (even if its not to everyone's taste). He masterminded the Glasgow Empire Exhibition in 1936, helped design the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Scottish Office, Calton Hill and many fine buildings in London. The wee guy from the John Neilson did ok smile.png

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200729

post-2737-0-72191200-1362413403_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-38821400-1362413434_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny