Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Sandyford was the one between St Mirin's and the Abercorn right enough. IIRC it was a similar building to the Abercorn.

St Mirin's was a boy's only school until the amalgamation with St Maggie's in 1976-77. I left in the summer of '76.....

:-(

Sandyford was the one between St Mirin's and the Abercorn right enough. IIRC it was a similar building to the Abercorn.

St Mirin's was a boy's only school until the amalgamation with St Maggie's in 1976-77. I left in the summer of '76.....

:-(

You sound disappointed, Salmonbuddie. Did a pile of St.Margaret's girls have a lucky escape with your leaving? And Bluto, a girl from St.Margaret's broke my heart too. A long time ago but it still hurts.

The rubble of St Mirins is still there. I'll get a photo this week for you Bluto. As Buddiecat said it burned down in April 2010 and demolished in Oct that year. The original St Mirin's Academy (1922) has already been featured and was in East Buchanan St - the building still exists. The School however expanded and moved to Renfrew Rd in 1933. In 1976 is merged with St Margaret's which was situated across from Chivas in Renfrew Rd. The railings and steps for St Mirins are also there and C Listed. So we have 3 sets of steps on Renfrew Rd with one leading to Abercorn and the other two to wastground where the other two Schools once stood (Sandyford and St Mirins).

I dont know when St Mirins and St Margaret's Secondary closed down or if the original Convent still exists. I shall investigate smile.png

Famous ex-pupils include Gerald Butler, Gerry Rafferty and John Byrne and I am sure some members of B&W Army smile.png

And me............'68-'73

Not remembered with any fondness whatsoever.

The rubble of St Mirins is still there. I'll get a photo this week for you Bluto. As Buddiecat said it burned down in April 2010 and demolished in Oct that year. The original St Mirin's Academy (1922) has already been featured and was in East Buchanan St - the building still exists. The School however expanded and moved to Renfrew Rd in 1933. In 1976 is merged with St Margaret's which was situated across from Chivas in Renfrew Rd. The railings and steps for St Mirins are also there and C Listed. So we have 3 sets of steps on Renfrew Rd with one leading to Abercorn and the other two to wastground where the other two Schools once stood (Sandyford and St Mirins).

I dont know when St Mirins and St Margaret's Secondary closed down or if the original Convent still exists. I shall investigate smile.png

Famous ex-pupils include Gerald Butler, Gerry Rafferty and John Byrne and I am sure some members of B&W Army smile.png

buddiecat, thomsons dropped it, mr bain (who refuses to tell me what his avatar is on here) davie hay , joe eagan, joe mcgoldrick....

Peter Leonard as well.....clap.gif

Thugs who happened to posess a teaching certificate (and a belt) battering boys was how I viewed a lot of my time there.offtopic.gifsorry.gif

aye the hideous mr fegan once threw a blackboard duster at me - just because i fell asleep in his class, FFS i'd been up since 6 am delivering milk

aye the hideous mr fegan once threw a blackboard duster at me - just because i fell asleep in his class, FFS i'd been up since 6 am delivering milk

Feagan would be locked up now Peter ,if you didn't understand the lesson in the first ten minutes...........Are you stupid ?????

For me his type just read it out.........Teachers my Arse.

My Apprenticeship however....a magical four years cloud9.gif Where people took the time to actually teach you and explain things in detail.

Apprenticeship Thread.......Hmmmmm

Feagan would be locked up now Peter ,if you didn't understand the lesson in the first ten minutes...........Are you stupid ?????

For me his type just read it out.........Teachers my Arse.

My Apprenticeship however....a magical four years cloud9.gif Where people took the time to actually teach you and explain things in detail.

Apprenticeship Thread.......Hmmmmm

good post, my apprenticeship was well served by the tutors at reid kerr college, it was actually in the sandyford building that my joinery skills were taught to me by a respectful group of tutors, if the teachers at the academy had been more bothered i might have ended up as prime minister or something - maybe they knew something after all lol.gif

good post, my apprenticeship was well served by the tutors at reid kerr college, it was actually in the sandyford building that my joinery skills were taught to me by a respectful group of tutors, if the teachers at the academy had been more bothered i might have ended up as prime minister or something - maybe they knew something after all lol.gif

Agree there, Reid Kerr had one of my best remembered Tutors in the Fab/Welding......Mr.Gilmour thumbup2.gifthumbup2.gif

Five year course packed into four....had to stay late on our one day a week every time. Done my career no harm at all.

Agree there, Reid Kerr had one of my best remembered Tutors in the Fab/Welding......Mr.Gilmour thumbup2.gifthumbup2.gif

Five year course packed into four....had to stay late on our one day a week every time. Done my career no harm at all.

i loved the statement above the main door of reid kerr "let no one enter who would deny craftsmanship"

used to have to walk from the ironmongers in shuttle street up to this building to deliver primus stoves and tilley lamps in my first job as an apprentice ironmonger after leaving school , lasted less than a year before becoming apprentice joiner, my wage as an ironmonger was 11.25 pence an hour ! had to work late to do my studying and also work saturday mornings i remember clearing £11 a week - then as a joiner apprentice it was £18 a week for less hours and got paid for going to college, i was in that very same ironmongers back shop on sunday , having a meal in cibo