Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

OK

I googled Milne and Paisley and got this:

HomePageBanner.jpg

THAT's St Mirin's Academy to me. smile.png

ETA: I LEFT PAISLEY SOME TIME AGO.

I haven't been on this thread for a while, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned - I believe the "Craig" of Milne Craig (previously Milne Craig & Corson, I think) was Yule Craig, formerly chairman of St Mirren FC.

I haven't been on this thread for a while, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned - I believe the "Craig" of Milne Craig (previously Milne Craig & Corson, I think) was Yule Craig, formerly chairman of St Mirren FC.

Nope. It's new info, wilbur. :)

To me, at least...

i loved the statement above the main door of reid kerr "let no one enter who would deny craftsmanship"

'and a fine motto it is too.

I remember reading that countless times as a wee boy, from busses going up/down the Renfrew Road.

I didn't attend R-K, but adopted the spirit of that motto. I have posted it outside office doors in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Oman and now beside my desk here in Bangkok.

I believe the original is no longer there, at the entrance point where it used to be when I was a boy. I suppose it disappeared during one of their several expansions. Anyone know what happened to it? Is it displayed elsewhere within R-K?

PICTURE 123 is the Original Secession Church at 3 Wellmeadow and is unlisted! Considering the architect was the great TG himself that is a surprise - all his work should be listed smile.png

Built in 1891. Gothic style. It is perhaps better known as Myles Camping Centre to many Buds of a certain vintage. I remember buying sleeping bags and other bids and bobs from there. Unfortunately is is now on the Buildings at Risk register which is no surprise considering the state it is in. A planning application to turn it into cafe/bar with workshops was approved in 2004 but obviously didnt go ahead which is a pity.

post-2737-0-67148200-1365164095_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Here is the story behind 'a slug o ginger'. We covered it before (Picture 16 Co-operative building in Lady Lane) in a general discussion but besides this new plaque there is nothing else there to identify the site.

post-2737-0-71868900-1365241106_thumb.jp

Sorry. Been busy over Easter.

PICTURE 124 is the Seedhill Gatehouse or West Gatehouse for the Anchor Mills. B Listed. Built in 1909. Architect unknown to me. Was recently the Office (?) of the Abbey Mill Business Centre. Unsure of its current use.

Some good images of it here ....

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=198846&image_id=SC1290945

post-2737-0-19554400-1365933096_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Sonny - im not sure if it was ever used as the office and certainly not recently, (i always assumed the sign was just put there to alert folk to the entrance). My old work were the very first tennants in the newly opened Abbeymill Business Centre and I can only ever remember the office being in the James Clark building before moving to to Mile End (but I may be mistaken as it was some time ago!). It lay empty for years and fell into disrepair during the 80s, the council had some bother tracing the owner (so it couldn't have been Marcus Dean at the time although he may have bought it since) and I think there was a compulsory purchase order placed on it - I'm not sure if it went through or was privately sold, but either way its nice to see it done up & back in use now.

Think it might be something to do with financial services or something now.