Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I've never been in the building either, but apparently when I was 2 weeks overdue I climbed back and forth over the wee wall at the foot of the big long street to its west, in a bid to encourage me to come out and see the world.

Fortunately, the railings had been removed from the wee wa', by then. :)

(And it worked, they tell me.)

Does anyone remember the days of these teachers - Mr Corbett (Rector), Martha Calvert (Deputy Head) who taught Geography, Miss Patterson (Maths), Mr Dinning (History), Mr Wilson (PE), Roddy McLelland, Mrs McKellar (English), Pam Duncan (French), Mr Heggarty (History), Mr Erskine (Music) and many others

Does anyone remember the days of these teachers - Mr Corbett (Rector), Martha Calvert (Deputy Head) who taught Geography, Miss Patterson (Maths), Mr Dinning (History), Mr Wilson (PE), Roddy McLelland, Mrs McKellar (English), Pam Duncan (French), Mr Heggarty (History), Mr Erskine (Music) and many others

no....

but then again i didn't go therewhistling.gif

I was there then, Christine Corbett (faither noted above) Wilma Malcolm (whose dad was WH), Hugh Fairlie Jnr, and the infamous Fred Goodwin all in my class, also Laura Alexander whose dad owned the sports shop in Moss Street. I was taught by most of those, plus Drew Livingstone (Maths), Mr Dunbar (Modern Studies/History).....Miss Patterson, otherwise known as Tittsy, she was shit scared of wasps so we took in a few dozen in a WD&HO Will baccy tin and released them halfway through a double maths period. Wee Roddy Gardner, who was my Physics teacher went on to be Heidie at Glennifer High. Edited by Happy Buddie

PICTURE 125 is of course the 'Paisley Grammar School and William B. Barbour Academy', situated in Glasgow Rd. B Listed. Architect the great TG (I think it was only ma hoose that the great man didn't design in Paisley).

The school building (which was called due to a bequest by the former Member of Parliament for Paisley, William B. Barbour,) was opened in 1898 by Lord Balfour of Burleigh, then Secretary of State for Scotland.

The school was fee paying until the mid-1960s and in 1986, when threatened with imminent closure by Strathclyde Regional Council, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher intervened personally to ensure the survival of the school. The law was changed so that local councils could no longer close schools which were more than 80% full without approval by the Secretary of State for Scotland.

Infamous former pupils include Fred Goodwin, Andrew Neil and Dr Who (David Tennant).

post-2737-0-72424800-1367313063_thumb.jp

Sorry for the gaps in posting guys. Just very busy just now.

Here is the CLUE for PICTURE 126. Reckon you either know it or dont know it - dont think there is much room for guesswork with this one smile.png

post-2737-0-52876900-1367755357_thumb.jp

This one has me stumped! looks 1940's and residential. The steel windows look very odd painted green (suspect they are powder coated aluminium). So that suggests a major refurbishment. I'm going to take a mad guess that this is James Steel Maitland's own house at littlecroft which I have always meant to check out but never have.

• 2 weeks later...

Image 126 was originally the Paisley Grammar School Penilee Sports Pavillion. Penilee Road. A Listed. Art Deco. Constructed in 1937. Architect H Cook.

Now the Ralston Community Sports Centre.

I just love this building but had been totally unaware of it until recently. Not been inside but from the outside its like going back in time. Beautiful building.

(And yes, it is in Paisley!).

post-2737-0-82235800-1368873804_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-22198900-1368874389_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-66822500-1368874425_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-51695000-1368874461_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-15508700-1368874494_thumb.jp

I did the hurdles for Camphill at a County schools meeting, there.

Fourth.

Of four.

I'd never seen a hurdle until that night. Just had to complete the 100 yards for the school to get 1 point.

Ellen McCubbin won shedloads more points than me.

She was sporting and nice. :)

Fourth.

Of four.

I'd never seen a hurdle until that night. Just had to complete the 100 yards for the school to get 1 point.

She was sporting and nice. smile.png

How did you get in that team then? Were the rest of us injured?

First time I saw hurdles was at a BB event and I thought I'd try a sneaky warm up. But I jumped over the hurdle the wrong way ie the supporting feet thingies were pointing towards me. I hit the bloody thing and went down like a ton of bricks. The hurdle didn't move an inch. I've always been a stupid bugger.

Ellen McCubbin was a dynamo. Just a wee lassie but greased lightening and she was lovely. Wonder what became of her?

Fourth.

Of four.

She was sporting and nice. smile.png

But the question is................................... did ye????????whistling.gif