Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I remember the views from the car parks up the braes and they were always spectacular just like on your photos. Just wish to hell I could remember what I was doing up there.

That was a link from my twitter feed.

I used to use my CB up there whenever someone could get us mobile & a mag mount on the roof , happy days.

That was a link from my twitter feed.

I used to use my CB up there whenever someone could get us mobile & a mag mount on the roof , happy days.

Many's the time I was up yonder and the place was alive with guys and their CB equipment. They could be real noisy buggers. I remember the bad language sounded pretty bad. In those days four letter words were OK at Love Street or among guys in the pub or whatever but definitely not for general usage. How things have changed.

I did do a fair bit of mounting up there in my day. Not sure about dogging. If it was jogging you meant, I'll own up to that.

Depends what you class as a wee depot - it held about 90-100 buses IIRC. The semi-auto Leopards were great buses to drive. The Dominators were good for the motorway but crap everywhere else. The Routemasters were alright to drive but you were stuck up front all by yourself - they were great if you were a conductor, but only during the summer, cold as f**k in the winter.

It seemed a bit wee compared to the likes of Larkfield, parkhead, Johnstone or Cumbernauld. I wasnt a great fan of the leopards, But did like Clydesides Dominators- Kelvin's examples where a bit crap- Although the had 1 with a Rolls-Royce engine and badge on the engine bay door and Routemasters didnt seem the most comfortable to drive- let alone be passenger in. But got to admit, do miss the variety of buses you used to get

It was probably slightly bigger than Johnstone, but not by much. Probably just the layout that made it seem smaller. I could be wrong though, it's been years. The others I don't know about as they were different companies and I was never in them.

Your probably right as your perspective of things when your younger are rubbish. I liked going to paisley depot though

That's it. But it was just referred to as "the pend". You are a very clever man buddiecat. thumbup2.gifclap.gif

I was brought up round there in the 50's and I always knew it as Young's Pen and Gordon Street was the exit. The entrance was off Causeyside Street just opposite Stow Brae and I think it was originally something to do with the Paisley Canal.

It was probably slightly bigger than Johnstone, but not by much. Probably just the layout that made it seem smaller. I could be wrong though, it's been years. The others I don't know about as they were different companies and I was never in them.

When I was young my Granny lived in Kilbarchan and sometimes my big sister and I got put on a bus from just beside the Kibble School at the terminus right at the top of Springbank Road. Back then there was a terminus at Miliken Park and the Kilbarchan bus at times took a break even though Kilbarchan was only 5 minutes away. There were quite often a dozen or more double deckers lined up and I used to get out and board them and climb up and down the stairs. The driver would give me a shout when he was about to leave. But I'm damned if I knew what kind of buses they were. Wish I could remember. Oh, the innocence of childhood.

It sounded like pen but was actually pend and that was the vehicular exit onto Gordon Street.

Pend

Buses could cause traffic chaos as they tried to exit. There was an 'us and them' attitude between some car drivers and bus drivers which the bus drivers usually won. Occasionally three or more buses could be lined up waiting trying to get out and if traffic was slow anyway, tempers could get a bit frayed. I never actually saw a punch up but it came close once or twice.

I was brought up round there in the 50's and I always knew it as Young's Pen and Gordon Street was the exit. The entrance was off Causeyside Street just opposite Stow Brae and I think it was originally something to do with the Paisley Canal.

i thought youngs garage entrance and exit was just one and the same on causeyside and was on the other side of the canal rail line and therefore not linked to the bus garage in gordon street

i thought youngs garage entrance and exit was just one and the same on causeyside and was on the other side of the canal rail line and therefore not linked to the bus garage in gordon street

Think you're spot on , Buddiecat. That's how I remember it too.I recall that the entrance was a sharp left off Causeyside Street immediately you crossed the bridge heading up the way. Youngs in the 50's and 60's stayed open 24 hours and I remember my Dad driving in there very late one night for petrol when I was with him. I wondered where the hell we were going. You would never have known it was there from the outside. I couldn't believe it when I saw the buses lined up down there. Thought it was a magical place.

PICTURE 141. No clue. You either know it or you don't smile.png .

the church of jesus christ of latter day saints, (mormons) fereneze drive glenburn, when it first opened the churchy people from there came round the streets and promised us a half crown if we came along to their fun afternoon for children, we were of course all mormons for an afternoon, and got free juice and crisps, into the bargain, in my teenage years they held a disco and we all went,cairry outs at the ready, they didnt let us in with the alcohol obviously but that meant we drank it all in a oner outside and went in anyway, dont think they held many more after that one

I used to live in a street where one of the Church members provided accommodation for the young Americans in suits who came over to convert us. Consequently I had very frequent conversations with these young salespeople who had little life experience trying to tell me where I was going wrong. It was ultimately very sad to witness as they obviously had prepared their sales pitch and had a conviction based on what they had been told and not what they had learned about life. I began to feel sorry for them as I am sure they got a few doors slammed in their face in Paisley.

I used to live in a street where one of the Church members provided accommodation for the young Americans in suits who came over to convert us. Consequently I had very frequent conversations with these young salespeople who had little life experience trying to tell me where I was going wrong. It was ultimately very sad to witness as they obviously had prepared their sales pitch and had a conviction based on what they had been told and not what they had learned about life. I began to feel sorry for them as I am sure they got a few doors slammed in their face in Paisley.

aye like "have you spoken to the lord today" - "naw your the first 2 people i've spoken to,come in and have some tea,is it right you fellas can huv hunners a wives"