Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

• 4 months later...

Was in Paisley earlier today, armed with camera as usual. Took this one as I walked past this 'mystery location' on my way to somewhere else. The way the low winter light was lighting the scene caught my eye as I was going by. Pretty sure you guys will name the location...

post-5834-0-77124400-1419971431_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I'm compiling a photo montage for my old mum who is beginning to lose her memory but does quite well with pictures of people and places. Anybody know where I could find photos of the following:

George Street (the end near Causeyside Street)

Gordon Street (the end near Causeyside Street)

The high flats in Hunterhill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm compiling a photo montage for my old mum who is beginning to lose her memory but does quite well with pictures of people and places. Anybody know where I could find photos of the following:

I believe there's a Paisley site on Facebook that posts a lot of old photos.

PDE?

It must have a huge hoard of such pix.

I mentioned away at the start of this thread of how it used to publish a daily pic of the town.

A website called Paisley online, it's got loads of old photos...

Sad to hear that bud, going through the same thing myself...

I made and sent a calender for my Aunt and Uncle in Australia using pictures I got from various Paisley sites and Facebook pages. Plenty of pictures similar to this there to be found.

attachicon.gifGordon St.jpg

Technology is great , progress is good but just sometimes ? It's a shame things change.

I made and sent a calender for my Aunt and Uncle in Australia using pictures I got from various Paisley sites and Facebook pages. Plenty of pictures similar to this there to be found.

attachicon.gifGordon St.jpg

That photo damned nearly pulled the old heartstrings. It seemed oh so familiar. Lews clothing store was a fixture there for years and I remember Johnstone's family butchers well too. And a good old SMT Red bus sneaking out of the garage. For a few years while I was at Camphill a crowd of us went to the BR for lunch every day so went up and down Gordon Street at least twice a day.It was the initials for British Restaurant and from memory it was heavily subsidised as a kind of restaurant for the poorer off. It was just beside what is now the Watermill. Are there any pictures of it to view?

That photo damned nearly pulled the old heartstrings. It seemed oh so familiar. Lews clothing store was a fixture there for years and I remember Johnstone's family butchers well too. And a good old SMT Red bus sneaking out of the garage. For a few years while I was at Camphill a crowd of us went to the BR for lunch every day so went up and down Gordon Street at least twice a day.It was the initials for British Restaurant and from memory it was heavily subsidised as a kind of restaurant for the poorer off. It was just beside what is now the Watermill. Are there any pictures of it to view?

I presume you had A GOOD LOOK at mcd54's overhead Paisley pic in the Langs thread... ? :whistle:

Like RickMcD I too went to the BR from Camphill. In the early sixties my wee auntie was the manageress and I used to get man- sized portions. Happy days!! She eventually moved to manage the Stanely Green kitchen when I left school in '62

We must have been in there at the same time on stacks of occasions. If i remember rightly there were two different prices for big or smaller portions. I loved their shepherds pie and steamed pudding and custard. The staff were always great but took no nonsense from anybody.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. The Council are now considering an application to demolish yet another historical building - Blackhall House. It is very easy to submit an objection if you are so inclined - took me about 2 mins. Don't let the bastards destroy everything ....

More info here ... https://www.facebook.com/paisleyoorweetoon?fref=ts and http://pl.renfrewshire.gov.uk/online…/applicationDetails.do…

Edit: 'Cause I made a mistook :)

Edited by Sonny

You had me confused there for a minute until I realised it was BlackHALL House, in Blackhall Lane. I worked in there when I was sixteen - over 30 years ago now. To be honest, it might be listed but, from what I recall, it was a shitty building back then so f**k knows what it is like now. There was a MIM place down Blackhall Lane, as well as companies that designed river and sea dredges (Alluvial Dredges Ltd and Seadrec Ltd).

My step father worked in that building also, for Seadrec IIRC

You had me confused there for a minute until I realised it was BlackHALL House, in Blackhall Lane. I worked in there when I was sixteen - over 30 years ago now. To be honest, it might be listed but, from what I recall, it was a shitty building back then so f**k knows what it is like now. There was a MIM place down Blackhall Lane, as well as companies that designed river and sea dredges (Alluvial Dredges Ltd and Seadrec Ltd).

OOps. Now corrected :)

Hey guys. The Council are now considering an application to demolish yet another historical building - Blackhall House. It is very easy to submit an objection if you are so inclined - took me about 2 mins. Don't let the bastards destroy everything ....

More info here ... https://www.facebook.com/paisleyoorweetoon?fref=ts and http://pl.renfrewshire.gov.uk/online…/applicationDetails.do…

Edit: 'Cause I made a mistook smile.png

I would rather see it demolished than looking like it does now TBH,

Fair enough Buddiecat.

I was at Camden Town recently and a similar building next to the lock waterfront has been converted into artist studios and shops. The atmosphere was exciting with tourists milling about browsing record shops, boutiques, and trying the various outdoor eating establishments or having a beer. I just wish Paisley would think outside the box a wee bit and see the potential in their old historic buildings instead of demolishing them to replace them with short-life and aesthetically horrendous constructions like the Piazza or housing estates like the Ferguslie Mills.

In Dublin 50 years ago the Council decided to maintain some of its historical buildings by offering incentives to developers. Some were repossessed as the developer did not work on them; some were given to developers to revitalise; some were allowed various Council Tax breaks if they took a building on. There are plenty of brown-field sites around for new developments in Paisley.

Entice Developers to take on the historic buildings for re-development. Soon the the birth-place (and I know about the roots in India) of the Paisley Pattern will have no friggin buildings left that were part of the biggest cotton/silk/weaving industrial complex in the world. We'll have a bland town of wee empty concrete office blocks, estates and charity shops. Get people into the town centre instead of driving them away. We have got to start saying NO MORE to the planners! Rant over smile.png

EDIT to Add. A Development company from Edinburgh want to build friggin more houses on the site.

Edited by Sonny