Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Hey guys. The Council are now considering an application to demolish yet another historical building - Blackhall House. It is very easy to submit an objection if you are so inclined - took me about 2 mins. Don't let the bastards destroy everything ....

More info here ... https://www.facebook.com/paisleyoorweetoon?fref=ts and http://pl.renfrewshire.gov.uk/online…/applicationDetails.do…

Edit: 'Cause I made a mistook smile.png

I read it as redeveloping Blackhall House and demolishing Hamilton and Anchor House. Correct me if I'm wrong.

...or is that just one of several plans.

Edited by pod

Pod, the Planning application states 'Demolition of Blackhall House including tower, Anchor House and Hamilton House'

I would not have a problem with most of it being converted into houses although surely the Council realise we need more than just houses - we need amenities. Again in Dublin the Council insisted that when a developer made a proposal there had to be some sort of civic amenity included in the application. That could be a small public garden, a public sculpture (that's why Dublin is full of sculptures with their own great nicknames - Molly Malone - 'The Tart with The Cart') or one developer included an open air cinema in the court within a development. Or a Exhibition space for local artists - especially photographers :)

Edited by Sonny

Hey guys. The Council are now considering an application to demolish yet another historical building - Blackhall House. It is very easy to submit an objection if you are so inclined - took me about 2 mins. Don't let the bastards destroy everything ....

More info here ... https://www.facebook.com/paisleyoorweetoon?fref=ts and http://pl.renfrewshire.gov.uk/online…/applicationDetails.do…

Edit: 'Cause I made a mistook smile.png

I'm maybe biased but I feel that the demolishing of Blackland House (your wee mistake) was an act of council vandalism. In the 50's it doubled as Glenburn Library and the primary school i attended for a year. it was a lovely old building but I don't actually know much about its history. Somebody pretty rich must have built it and lived in it I'm sure. The lodge house is still there, the old white cottage on Donaldswood Road between the bottom of Braehead Road and Fairway Avenue. A beautiful gravelled driveway led up to the house past a fair sized pond which had some fair sized trout in it. There were a couple of disused garages at the side of the house and these were used as changing rooms when the two football pitches were made on Donaldswood Road more or less on the site that became St.Aelred's School which of course has also gone now. Needless to say the changing rooms were freezing and didn't even have a running tap never mind showers. Kids today don't know how lucky they are!

I would rather see it demolished than looking like it does now TBH,

Yep, it's a red-brick dump with NO architectural value whatsoever.

I do like the idea that someone has put forward that any ANY new housing development should provide some sort of amenity for the community.

Amongst all of the new (hunners?) houses built on Dykebar Hill, not one amenity, not even a small playground , nada, zilch. A housing desert.

ETA: The original plans were that a Play area with a 5-a-side/basketball pitch was to be built because there were NO amenities for kids, but the builders managed to allegedly "bribe" the Council with £50,000, so it could build a couple more houses where the play area was to be. Something about the ground not being level enough for the pitch... still managed to level off the ground enough to build more houses though!

The Council then eventually frizzled the money on installing drainage and a couple of containers dressing rooms at The Marshes football pitches (which still flood) over a mile away on Lochfield Rd...

Edited by Vambo57

What Camden did with similar buildings ... but we are going to erect f**king more modern houses (and no amenities).

That would be great if someone was going to pump millions into the place, but would it get the footfall?

I have to say that the new build by the sugar factory opposite crappielow are actually not bad and have a sort of industrial aesthetic, similar to the housing on the old (or should that be most recent) south school site. If the new build was of a similar quality then it could actually be an improvement. On the other hand, there's plenty shit new housing out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I missed yesterday's "then and now" picture in the PDE. Can anyone tell me what it was and even post rhe pics if possible?

Christie St looking from the Lagoon.Student flats now,Tenements then.I'll see if I've still got paper when I get home.

I missed yesterday's "then and now" picture in the PDE. Can anyone tell me what it was and even post rhe pics if possible?

Sorry mate,forgot all about it.Paper well binned now.

Edited by HSS

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stinking auld steamers begging

Where that phone box is and when it was the rosebud,

you used to get auld trampy wasters begging for the

price of a pint there.

Does this still happen?

I remember a stinking auld cùnt wearing a leeds rugby league top asking me for

a quid once, I thought to myself what connection has this tramp with leeds, then

it occurred to me that the smelly auld cùnt probably bought it in a charity shop.

image297561.jpg

The Rosebud had the best Pool Team in the Paisley and District League in the early 1980's.

Scary bunch tae.

Lol

they also had the best darts team and dominoes team, the owner used to pay the best players to be in his teams, either by cash or by way of free drink

• 2 weeks later...

The Rosebud had the best Pool Team in the Paisley and District League in the early 1980's.

Scary bunch tae.

Lol

That was where we got the bus from to away games as a kid :)

Not sure if it was my uncle that ran it or his was from Knox street but always a good laugh on a very noisy bus !

That was where we got the bus from to away games as a kid :)

Not sure if it was my uncle that ran it or his was from Knox street but always a good laugh on a very noisy bus !

I was a member of the Knox Street Supporters Club, at that time. They ran 2 buses to every away match in that era.

Happy days.

I was a member of the Knox Street Supporters Club, at that time. They ran 2 buses to every away match in that era.

Happy days.

Perhaps you know my Uncle Eddie fairly sure he was one of the guys that ran the buses from there.

Rosebud was the place I went from , remember going to Dumbarton during week , bus broke down ended up with late replacement from McGills :)

Happy days , oh aye great picture of the west end I used to rent a flat in Sandholes St as a teenager as I get back on topic :P

Perhaps you know my Uncle Eddie fairly sure he was one of the guys that ran the buses from there.

Rosebud was the place I went from , remember going to Dumbarton during week , bus broke down ended up with late replacement from McGills :)

Happy days , oh aye great picture of the west end I used to rent a flat in Sandholes St as a teenager as I get back on topic :P

A guy they called Big John and Ian Cuthbertson ran the buses. There was a wee dude called Eddie who went on the bus. He wore a Saints tammy and always had his wee son with him.