Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

A guy they called Big John and Ian Cuthbertson ran the buses. There was a wee dude called Eddie who went on the bus. He wore a Saints tammy and always had his wee son with him.

Ah that was him , wasn't sure if he ran it or was always on it.

There used to be lots of buses to away games back then , happy days indeed.

Still great picture of the west end :)

Ah that was him , wasn't sure if he ran it or was always on it.

There used to be lots of buses to away games back then , happy days indeed.

Still great picture of the west end smile.png

I think between 1977 and the early 1980's we used to regularly take 14 Buses to away matches.

Now get back on Topic or Sonny will go mental. bangin.gif

• 2 months later...

Driving down the ferguslie road I noticed a cauldren carved into a wall. Can't find any info on it any one know anything. I guess that it's been the site of an old hospital and the stone has been reused in the wall.

ETA could also have been a dye works I suppose?

Edited by insaintee

Driving down the ferguslie road I noticed a cauldren carved into a wall. Can't find any info on it any one know anything. I guess that it's been the site of an old hospital and the stone has been reused in the wall.

ETA could also have been a dye works I suppose?

Long road. Whereabouts...?

(From memory, no dyeworks along there. All at Anchor. )

Long road. Whereabouts...?

(From memory, no dyeworks along there. All at Anchor. )

On the wall think there is a care home or something opposite the stables

You can see it on google maps not sure if the link will work

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8409756,-4.4504175,3a,15y,161.76h,82.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siV-8425hmQm4fbMJkJcjmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On the wall think there is a care home or something opposite the stables

You can see it on google maps not sure if the link will work

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8409756,-4.4504175,3a,15y,161.76h,82.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siV-8425hmQm4fbMJkJcjmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Ta for that. :)

I somehow never ever noticed that before. Used to just be fields behind that wall (for the cuddies? ) then the Stables were used by the ambulance service for years.

I went on Google earth and got a close-up swatch of it. Mortar and pestle, as you say. Intriguing.... :unsure:

Sonny should have done that long ago. And then explained it to us. (When I get on a PC, I'll look at my old Paisley stuff to see if there's ocht...)

Edited by bluto

Ta for that. smile.png

I somehow never ever noticed that before. Used to just be fields behind that wall (for the cuddies? ) then the Stables were used by the ambulance service for years.

I went on Google earth and got a close-up swatch of it. Mortar and pestle, as you say. Intriguing.... unsure.png

Sonny should have done that long ago. And then explained it to us. (When I get on a PC, I'll look at my old Paisley stuff to see if there's ocht...)

When I was young Coats Amateur FC used to play on the football which was between the wall and the canal basin just in front of the Ferguslie Mill. The changing rooms were in the old stable block which has since been converted into mews cottages.

Edited by smcc

Turns out I was right again. Not a mortar and pestle, but a cauldron and spoon

https://www.facebook.com/paisleyoorweetoon/photos/a.300846973361677.66851.300800233366351/456199141159792/?type=3&permPage=1

1267144_456199141159792_129494124_o.jpg

Coats Dining Hall Ferguslie Mills 1912

This was a Canteen subsidised by Coats where workers could get a good but cheap substantial meal rather than carry a 'piece' or go home for their dinner. Note the plaque (Cauldron & Paddle) above the door in the middle of the building, this was preserved when the Canteen was demolished and is now embedded in the boundary wall of the Stable Grove estate on Main Road, Ferguslie, by the Pelican crossing.