Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Herbie said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously but I've just been sent this link about an underground pub in Paisley town centre. I'd certainly never heard of it. Interesting stuff.

http://www.paisleyheritage.co.uk/troglodyte-club-terrace-tavern/

I can remember this It closed when they started building the piazza. I'm not sure if it was still a tavern at that time.

Aerial shot of St. James station looking south, original from 1948 then annotated.

St.James.JPG.0e0562282771f061f2975943fbe45929.JPG

Green line is Greenhill Road, red line is Murray Street, pink line is Clark Street, purple line is McKean Street and the blue area is the current stadium.

St.James2.JPG.c430ef2fc48ff0a8f1fdf4d2bd443ae3.JPG

Same view today...

St.James3.JPG.24ca18669575552008a6d56d9efec974.JPG

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

On 9/17/2018 at 7:39 PM, rabuddies said:

My God, you must be older than me ?  When I started it was 1/10d.  Heavy was 2 bob and export was 2 and a tanner. No idea what lager cost 'cos in those days it really was pish!

If I remember rightly, a pint of Light was 1/8d and a pint of heavy was 1/10d.

Fowler's Wee heavy was a drink I would have liked now, but in these days you were never drawn to a bottle that had less than half a pint in it! :o My pocket money, or should I say my paper round money whilst much more than 2/6d, I wasn't drawn to Export...................... probably thinking that if I stretched the principle of asking for a stronger alcoholic beverage I might have been asked to show some form of age proof!:wacko: 

Yeah, lager was like p*sh at the time, usually Tennents, and pretty warm as the bars usually didn't keep it at the right temperature.

Edited by The Original 59er

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:14 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Aerial shot of St. James station looking south, original from 1948 then annotated.

St.James.JPG.0e0562282771f061f2975943fbe45929.JPG

Green line is Greenhill Road, red line is Murray Street, pink line is Clark Street, purple line is McKean Street and the blue area is the current stadium.

St.James2.JPG.c430ef2fc48ff0a8f1fdf4d2bd443ae3.JPG

Same view today...

St.James3.JPG.24ca18669575552008a6d56d9efec974.JPG

Any Idea who played at the ground shown? Is it juniors or just kids making a pitch of spare ground.

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

Any Idea who played at the ground shown? Is it juniors or just kids making a pitch of spare ground.

Paisley has only ever had one junior team, St. Mirren Juniors who won the Junior Cup in 1916/17.

They played at Love St and were only in existence for four seasons.

It looks like it has been marked out with chalk on blaize.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

Is it possibly the site of our old ground at Westmarch?

No, this is the only picture of Westmarch that exists.

westmarch.thumb.JPG.4083955b26f58a1b97cfd7c9de54e7fc.JPG

You can see the footbridge of St. James train station above the goal at the far end and the "Dummy Railway" embankment running from there to behind the grandstand. 

This means that Westmarsh was on the piece of land between the current North Stand and the railway embankment.

38 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

No, this is the only picture of Westmarch that exists.

westmarch.thumb.JPG.4083955b26f58a1b97cfd7c9de54e7fc.JPG

You can see the footbridge of St. James train station above the goal at the far end and the "Dummy Railway" embankment running from there to behind the grandstand. 

This means that Westmarsh was on the piece of land between the current North Stand and the railway embankment.

Got it now, the St James church spire in the background, but would the Dummy Railway have existed then, always thought 

it was built for the car plant, I'm probably wrong though..

3 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

Got it now, the St James church spire in the background, but would the Dummy Railway have existed then, always thought 

it was built for the car plant, I'm probably wrong though..

No, it wan't built for the car plant, it was part of an orbital rail network around Paisley and Barrhead. However, you're right, it wasn't built at the time of Westmarch so the railway embankment must be the line to Gourock.

http://railway.paisleyhistory.uk/

On 9/19/2018 at 7:36 AM, shull said:

Spending a £1 in the Glen Kyle , Barrhead  in 1979 got me a Pint plus 2 games of Pool.

OK! so when could I get 9 pint of heavy,  a packet of fags , box of matches and change from a pound note.            answers on a postcard with a penny black stamp please to ............   B)

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

OK! so when could I get 9 pint of heavy,  a packet of fags , box of matches and change from a pound note.            answers on a postcard with a penny black stamp please to ............   B)

First pint I ever bought was 1/10p in the court bar at eight o'clock in the morning waiting for the bus to Aberdeen. Think in was 12. Few rules broken there.