Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Wonderful photos. Keep them coming.

In a previous photo with the Abbey, could that be Rae the Coal Merchants Lorry and Cunninghams Bus?

Re lousy Lager, many moons ago there was a  pub just before Kennedys coming from the Cross which if I remember correctly

was an  Edinburgh Brewers pub and sold Skol.  Can you recall the name?

The railway network link with so much information brings back memories of my "Anorak Days"

5 hours ago, hamlet said:

Wonderful photos. Keep them coming.

In a previous photo with the Abbey, could that be Rae the Coal Merchants Lorry and Cunninghams Bus?

Re lousy Lager, many moons ago there was a  pub just before Kennedys coming from the Cross which if I remember correctly

was an  Edinburgh Brewers pub and sold Skol.  Can you recall the name?

The railway network link with so much information brings back memories of my "Anorak Days"

I think you could be talking about the Dusty Millers...

On 10/14/2018 at 12:12 PM, jaybee said:

OK! so when could I get 9 pint of heavy,  a packet of fags , box of matches and change from a pound note.            answers on a postcard with a penny black stamp please to ............   B)

I think that would be roughly between 1967 and 69. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Herbie said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously but I've just been sent this link about an underground pub in Paisley town centre. I'd certainly never heard of it. Interesting stuff.

http://www.paisleyheritage.co.uk/troglodyte-club-terrace-tavern/

Linky no worky Herbie?  Is that the one that would now be under the Piazza?

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, guinness said:

First pint I ever bought was 1/10p in the court bar at eight o'clock in the morning waiting for the bus to Aberdeen. Think in was 12. Few rules broken there.

Think I was on that bus too, but never got a pint.  You were tall right enough!

A green version similar to this, as I disremember:

1961-aec-4mu3ra-reliance-with-plaxton-pa

5 hours ago, billyg said:

Mine was Baileys in August 1974. 18p for Heavy , 21p for Lager.

I think mine was The Heilanman's in Renfrew 1975 18p a pint. 

Me n the wife used to spend £2 on a night oot paying Pool and Cairds in there.  Good Jukebox.

Edited by Vambo57

4 hours ago, The Original 59er said:
On 10/14/2018 at 12:12 PM, jaybee said:

OK! so when could I get 9 pint of heavy,  a packet of fags , box of matches and change from a pound note.            answers on a postcard with a penny black stamp please to ............   B)

I think that would be roughly between 1967 and 69. 

Spot on Sir and it of course was a pint of Heavy unfortunately........ NOT 9 pint, ahhhhh dream on   :lol:

9 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

43487519_1813325902098413_83828245387731

New Town Cross of Gauze St, Bank St, Silk St and Cotton St looking towards the Town Hall.

What a cracking photo. 

Just behind the photographer and to his left was a chippy where I would get a bag o chips and a pickled onion for a tanner after scouts!

I think the third awning along on the right was Galbraiths the general groceries store - I say Galbraiths but I might be confusing it with the fruit & veg retailer. Anyway it was where you could go in  and get all your groceries for the week. They had a big old black bike that sat outside with the basket frame on the front and back for deliveries. None of this Deliveroo, or Asda / Tesco / Morrisons van nonsense!