Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

3 hours ago, billyg said:

It does a bit in that the first Alpha Neumeric date plates were issued in early '63 ie ABC 123A , then every year afterwards the letter after the numbers changing to B, C etc There are none in this pic visible , so early '63 is probably about right. 

Could be an omen btw , just noticed early 63 we were at the end of a 1 win in 9 games run of results , sound familiar ?

You can only see three or four plates and they are all older cars. Difficult to see the Imp or Anglia.

Am I right in saying that there is a Corsair 4th up on the LHS of the car park, or is it a Cortina? The Cortina started in '62 so if so, probably '63 to '64 would be my guess.

Car registration numbers with ?GA followed by numbers were registered in Glasgow and from Paisley they were XS followed by numbers.

Was the Job Centre and Menzies Distribution not in Hunter Street  and "whydowebothwer" don't forget Alexanders Sports Shop and

Bryces TV shop.  Also in Moss Street was the TSB and Glovers the Newsagent. I wish I had a Pound for every time I went up and down the

path from Moss Street to  School Wynd.

Glasgow Airport evolution!

21312016_AbbotsinchFleetAirArmBase1961aerial-photo.thumb.jpg.5d05631da078482e4dcb1010ec1f335a.jpg 1961

1961 as the old Fleet Air Arm Base

1428953739_3ConcordesGlasgowAirportThreeConcordesupersonicairlinersatGlasgowsAbbotsinchairportforthelaunchoftheBASuperShuttleservicefromLondonAugust.jpg.49674ccc5b3ad661dab476f5de5b1381.jpg

1983 - Launch of the not so "Super Shuttle" service from London - 3 Concordes in Glasgow at the same time - must have been the only time they ever came and went on purpose!

GlasgowAirportFromAir.jpg.68de10fccac3e5876f6a8d3665cf7e70.jpg

Basically in the last couple of years before they added the ludicrous charge for drop off!

1394504782_PGSSecondaryandPrimareandEducationoffices.jpg.5b22e6bbac809ef3c61e2e7a1a74df6d.jpg

Paisley Grammar School pre-various wings being added and bottom right the old 'Education Offices'. The PGS primary school moved to the building behind the Education offices, but can't remember what that school was previously.

I wonder what proportion of residents in the streets in the foreground all worked in the mills in the background?

No Hunterhill or Lochfield!

Edited by The Original 59er

50 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I know it was called the East School when it closed.

It closed in the late 50's, pupils went to the Williebugs I think, and the Grammer primary moved from the main building on Glasgow Road to the site.  When the Grammer Primary closed in the mid 70's it became the Education stores for Strathclyde.

On 11/5/2018 at 5:47 PM, rabuddies said:

It closed in the late 50's, pupils went to the Williebugs I think, and the Grammer primary moved from the main building on Glasgow Road to the site.  When the Grammer Primary closed in the mid 70's it became the Education stores for Strathclyde.

There was a period when the Grammar lower primary classes were held in the school that was attached to St Mirin's Cathedral. In the early to mid 50's, I think.

200393519-134266-800.jpg.467a4514936bbbe789a8a25f29df0848.jpg

Paisley-rail-crash.jpgImage may contain: outdoor

Gilmour Street station train crash.

The accident  occurred on 16 April 1979 at 19:50. The 19:40  service from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay, crossed from the Down Fast Line to the Down Gourock Line under clear signals at Wallneuk Junction immediately to the east of PGS. It collided head-on with the 18:58 special service from Ayr to Glasgow Central which had left Platform 2 against a red signal P31.

The Ayr train had started away from the platform against a red signal. A type of SASSPAD (starting against signal at danger) accident, also colloquially known as ding-ding, and away. This accident prompted British Rail to change the Rules so that the bell or "Right Away" signal is only given when the Starting signal has been cleared.

Both drivers and five passengers were killed. 67 passengers and the guard of the WB train were injured.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Canal St. Now the location of The Horseshoe

Image may contain: house and outdoor

For the little it's worth...

That close in the centre of the pic is where a  Bookie (called Big Boab - and he WAS corpulent - did  business - before Bookies went legit...)

Also from our shared Buddie past... Toshie and his family (Elizabeth may remember)  lived upstairs in that close  (at the two right hand windaes, if  IRRC.

AND...

… when those buildings got demolished, the rag shop moved about 100 yards up the road to the taller tenements just south of Camphill, till they and the Camphill tenements  also were demolished.

The rag shop briefly  became  neighbours to a wee newsagents...   also now long gone.

I liked the rag shop.  They gave me actual money for scraps I collected...

That chippie was always avoided by our family.

I know not why...  :rolleyes:

I guess it  also went out of business...

In the pic, I think you can see the gable end of the tall tenements still standing, to the east of the current 24-hour recovery garage.

On 11/9/2018 at 9:23 AM, The Original 59er said:

paisley-abbey.jpg.b0f3a309296782c0105731908b637fcc.jpg

It's interesting to study this photo. There are considerably more buildings on Gauze St opposite Lawn St on the town centre side of Cotton St.

Not sure if this photo is pre-war or post '45?

I could be talking pish here, but that doesn't look like the Burton's building opposite the cenotaph.

If the cenotaph is there, but the Burton's building isn't yet,  it would make it the late 1920s.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:51 AM, Dirty Sanchez said:

I could be talking pish here, but that doesn't look like the Burton's building opposite the cenotaph.

If the cenotaph is there, but the Burton's building isn't yet,  it would make it the late 1920s.

You might well be right. It's after the 1st Worl war and before 1938.

If you have a look at the attached older maps of Paisley you can see the evolution of the town especially around the Abbey. I didn't realise that at one time the Abbey was almost completely enclosed by buildings around the periphery.

Glasgow Road was originally called Williams Burgh and Garthland Street. Old maps are brilliant to study as you see the pattern of how a town evolves and how they make space for  infrastructure such as a railway.

1842016630_PaisleyMaps1.thumb.jpg.9996fdfb3ea06c8e9ba6f3946aed6258.jpg

Blackhall Manor. Here it is today. I remember it being renovated  in the early 1980s by the Strachan family.
image.thumb.png.29aab74f858893af11aa12251775cdf3.png
Mrs Strachan was my teacher in Primary 5 and then again in Primary 7.

She took the whole class to visit her home after all the work was finished. That certainly wouldn't be allowed nowadays.