Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 11/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Would make a good Christmas card that photo.

I think these were the days when the photo would have been taken in b&w and then someone then over-painted the picture to provide some colour. It has that slightly artificial look that these early 20th or late 19th century pictures have.

If that is the case, then the gold lettering to the shop front on the right is pretty impressive!

On 11/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, TPAFKATS said:

Is that glenburn reservoir? I thought glenburn was the reservoir on top of the braes rather than this, which is one of the Linns?

It doesn't look like it, as this is what I've always thought was the Glenburn Reservoir: https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/local/glenburn-reservoir-renfrewshire

51 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I know there was a post referring to cinemas in Paisley so I'll just add this one which relates more to trams than cinemas! None the less, I saw many good pictures with whatever girl friend was on the go at the time at the La Scala! :P

1451470526_TramatPaisleyHighStandLaScala.jpg.e466c65422260339bd583814807c0d8b.jpg

Love the name of the Bank.

Wonderful photos and information about Paisley Theatres.

I remember being taken to see Syncopating Sandy  at Paisley Theatre. He is reputed to have  played the piano for 133 hours in 1956.

It was not in Paisley so I guess he came as the " World Champion" around 1957ish. I can remember walking down the one side of the theatre along

the front and up the other side and out.

Gerry Rafferty has a song about him.

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I was looking for photos of the past as per the thread title TP. 

Doubt if Google Earth will let me look at present 1974 St Mirren Brae. 

Cockles posted some forties in the paisley pubs thread, no that long back.

about pp82- 86

of Willie gallacher’s funeral. NOT 1974.

he also posted this vid showing his Grampa driving a hearse - which heads up St Mirren Brae...

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2508

On 11/27/2018 at 11:07 AM, The Original 59er said:

Which part of petroleum liquids, brake fluids, engine oils, plastic and drinking water go well together in someones stomach! :blink:

That's one of the Linns, so long since i've been there I don't know which one.  Not been used for drinking water for many decades and i think it was really set up as a supply for the textiles factories in Glenfield road.  I'm surprised responsibility for it has ceded to Scottish Water as it had byelaws notices from Paisley Council on it back int the day.  they must have punted it on when Strathclyde came into being and it then became part of the West of Scotland Water and subsequently the scottish water estate.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:46 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The car on the left side of Hunter St, third up, looks like a Hillman Imp which means the picture was taken in 1963 or later.

the big vauxhall might be a 64-onwards model and there is a darker car further up on the right that might be more recent that that.

There were many 1950 models on the streets of paisley in my 60s boyhood so it's hard to date this picture just on the cars, my guess is 64-ish or maybe 65

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Cockles posted some forties in the paisley pubs thread, no that long back.

about pp82- 86

of Willie gallacher’s funeral. NOT 1974.

he also posted this vid showing his Grampa driving a hearse - which heads up St Mirren Brae...

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2508

Thanks Antrin. Appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...