Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

It was the Civic Restaurant run by the local council on a non-profit basis and was partly staffed by volunteers.  It was originally known as the British Restaurant, these being opened during WW2 to ensure working folk got a decent meal while rationing was in place.  The name was changed to Civic after the war as rationing didn't come to an end when everybody hoped.  Most shut down in the late 50's but Paisley's was moved into the Town Hall (South Minor?) and continued until the mid 60's.  I remember going there from Secondary School around 1964 'cos you got a glass of limeade with your lunch.  Happy days.

The British Restaurant was featured in quite a few episodes of Dad's Army.

Surely , the Civic was to help Buddies who had been bombed oot by der Luftwafe , der Germans , the Nazis . .also

Guest TPAFKATS
Surely , the Civic was to help Buddies who had been bombed oot by der Luftwafe , der Germans , the Nazis . .also
Aye, all those who had their chippy bombed. © Stan Boardman

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
6 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Aye, all those who had their chippy bombed. © Stan Boardman

Did der Luftwaffe , der Germans , the Nazis bomb your chipshop Tony. .

2 hours ago, rabuddies said:

It was the Civic Restaurant run by the local council on a non-profit basis and was partly staffed by volunteers.  It was originally known as the British Restaurant, these being opened during WW2 to ensure working folk got a decent meal while rationing was in place.  The name was changed to Civic after the war as rationing didn't come to an end when everybody hoped.  Most shut down in the late 50's but Paisley's was moved into the Town Hall (South Minor?) and continued until the mid 60's.  I remember going there from Secondary School around 1964 'cos you got a glass of limeade with your lunch.  Happy days.

The British Restaurant was featured in quite a few episodes of Dad's Army.

It's all coming back to me now and the Town Hall!  An excellent reply, Rab.  Thanks!

On 3/1/2019 at 5:01 PM, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Can someone remind me of the building which stood at the junction of Mill St and and Bridge St?  It was a canteen of sorts and I remember eating there.  I seem to remember they turned a blind eye to people coming in off the street (might be wrong, though) :unsure:

Talking of cheap places to eat, what was the name of the small restaurant in Wallace street (across from what used to be Lawson’s of Dyce) I remember going in at lunchtime, probably 80-81 and getting soup, mince & tatties and cake and custard for £1 ! 

29 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Talking of cheap places to eat, what was the name of the small restaurant in Wallace street (across from what used to be Lawson’s of Dyce) I remember going in at lunchtime, probably 80-81 and getting soup, mince & tatties and cake and custard for £1 ! 

Image may contain: house, car and outdoor

7 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Junction of George St and Castle St also from 1958

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

Just thought I’d mention, if anyBuddie was interested, that the lamppost and railing (to the right, here) is also at the top(the western end) of Canal Street.

a pavement sweeps across here now diverting the George Street traffic intae Castle Street, whilst George Street itself ploughs westwards to end just beyond the West School, where that hits Broomlands..

Edited by antrin

10 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

This is a bit like time-travel; I wonder does anyone remember the very small restaurant next to the bus stop in (I think it's Gordon street) where the old fire station used to be before canal street. This was where you got the buses for Saltcoats and the coast, I would imagine it would be early to mid 1960's. They did absolutely wonderful meals for pennies, all home cooked stuff, nae chips, mash and steak pie; or mince and tatties........................wonderful and lovely ladies that ran it too.

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

I thought the chippy was slightly further to the right.

I was under 10 when I used it so memory might not be as good as yours. emoji106.png

Think you’re correct, cockles.

DSS’s older memory is mibbe a wee bit flakey....

:)

8 hours ago, jaybee said:

This is a bit like time-travel; I wonder does anyone remember the very small restaurant next to the bus stop in (I think it's Gordon street) where the old fire station used to be before canal street. This was where you got the buses for Saltcoats and the coast, I would imagine it would be early to mid 1960's. They did absolutely wonderful meals for pennies, all home cooked stuff, nae chips, mash and steak pie; or mince and tatties........................wonderful and lovely ladies that ran it too.

Could that have been Johnstone Street?  It was a fine chippy for decades and the buses used to go that way! ( pausing at the bus stop right by the chippy/restauranr) Then on coastally up GeorgeStreet, until Canal Street was dualled..

there was still a fast food place there, I think, as I passed a few weeks ago....

aye, just checked... Top Wok.

38 minutes ago, antrin said:

Could that have been Johnstone Street?  It was a fine chippy for decades and the buses used to go that way! ( pausing at the bus stop right by the chippy/restauranr) Then on coastally up GeorgeStreet, until Canal Street was dualled..

there was still a fast food place there, I think, as I passed a few weeks ago....

aye, just checked... Top Wok.

Me too, just checked, isn't Google Maps great.  You are spot on that it is Johnstone Street, but the little place I am remembering was on other side of road,  from my recolection it was somewhere about Alladins Tandoori takeaway, it really wasn't very big at all, I think it only had three bench tables that sat three each side and it did not do chips, only proper cooked meals, well in those days they were to me.  Anyway you are half way right, thanks for that.

19 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Paisley West station, closed in 1966 as part of bawbag Beeching's cuts.

The bridge is still there.

54200870_2175540055865741_7158181937931091968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=89292848c094230e1be61b78961da59f&oe=5CE0FF02

The bridge is still there...

On the top left hand corner ( the aerial photograph) is my old school - the West.  Did anyone go to it during the late 1950s early 60s?

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans