Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Johnny Rep, exactly my first thoughts when I saw the photo 

but it was nicknamed Fudgy, Hudgie and Budgie.

They were on  both sides of Renfrew Road. Passed it to get to Love Street over

Footbridge in Abercorn Street.

Keep photos coming.:clapping

7 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Canal Station on the right, Robertson's factory in the middle, Iain Banks' inspiration running to the bottom left.

56162837_3017730134907550_1355265488459923456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=254919f7ab0a67bf25a3a53f1dc970cc&oe=5D423888

With Camphill‘s “old” tenements at the top right...

and...

the espedair burn looping round the foot of Saucel hill at the bottom before tunnelling under the buildings (and Canal rail lines) to the Cart.

only once, did I ever summon enough courage to go right along the pipe work lining the sides, in that tunnel, to reach the Cart..  pitch dark, slippy, smelly and rat infested.   And then return...

i guess it must still be there.  I still see its black exit yawning into the River.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

the espedair burn looping round the foot of Saucel hill at the bottom before tunnelling under the buildings (and Canal rail lines) to the Cart.

only once, did I ever summon enough courage to go right along the pipe work lining the sides, in that tunnel, to reach the Cart..  pitch dark, slippy, smelly and rat infested.   And then return...

i guess it must still be there.  I still see its black exit yawning into the River.

Article mentioning the Espedair Burn here.

https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/tunnelling-tanya-breaks-through-in-paisley

3 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Interesting, Tom.

Ta for that, too.  :)

I also notice in your latest view  of 'Well Street'  fae Castle Street, there's one of those new-fangled Belisha pole pedestrian crossings, but with no zebra stripes on the road surface... and an auld bloke teetering on the pavement, unsure whether or not to suicidally dash into all that traffic...

1 hour ago, antrin said:

I don't get it, Eric, Arfur…   :unsure:

Bank street and Mill street?  Never cheek by jowl, I thought...

And I also don't recognise  the chippie and I usetae walk to McKerrell street every other day from Barr Street.

I also refer you to this picture where you can clearly see Bank St running past the East School, crossing Mill St and onward to  the New Town Cross with Gauze St/Silk St/Cotton St.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

26 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Pfffttt Auld duffer. Bank St and Mill St STILL  form a junction. bankmill.JPG.848a7005c2a35bdfdb4a6b522f062fa6.JPG

It's where the Salvation Army building is.

Fair cop, Guv!  :o

That wee detached bit of Bank Street's like an excised, abandoned, forlorn and decaying foreskin...

(I imagine.)

Still, cannae recall a chippy, there.  Any idea when the pic was taken?

Edited by antrin

8 minutes ago, antrin said:

Fair cop, Guv!  :o

That wee detached bit of Bank Street's like an excised, abandoned, forlorn and decaying foreskin...

(I imagine.)

Still, cannae recall a chippy, there.  Any idea when the pic was taken?

No I don't know when it was taken.

I've enlarged the aerial shot. The chippy is circled in yellow (and you can see the advertising boards arrowed.)

Bank St is in red, the back courts of the "council buildings" side of Mill St is in blue and Cochran St is green.

banketc.JPG.dbb77566d271b4150916d15d4a4b407a.JPG

On 3/7/2019 at 12:41 AM, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

On the top left hand corner ( the aerial photograph) is my old school - the West.  Did anyone go to it during the late 1950s early 60s?

Aye me auld yin.

You’ll remember me.

Lived at 81 George Street.

Went to the West primary 59 till 65.